Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New product for multiple airplane owners

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New product for multiple airplane owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
DanMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New product for multiple airplane owners

Get a patent going! This is a cool idea! Let me know when you will have some ready.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Popriv

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Popriv

Sorry, I must be missing something? Dont I have to move the same amount of plugs? what does this save?

I move my RX from plane to plane now...

Steve
The unit stays with the plane and the Rx plugs into it as one piece instead of seven individual servo leads
Thanks minnflyer, knew I had to be missing something... I didnt realize the RX would plug DIRECTLY into the sockets... your graphic clears that up. Pretty cool!

Steve
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
MarksHangar

Brilliant idea!

The Fatuba 7 and 8 channel FASST receivers would be a good start. If your price is right, you will have a gold mine here.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

SINCITYJETS sells the ORBITunit... it is quite nice
Old 04-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: geh3

SIN CITY JETS sells the ORBIT unit... it is quite nice

True, but the idea was an inexpensive alternative to multiple RX's. That powerjack sells for $99. I can get my RX for my DX6i for less than that price. Sooo.. Build the adapter that costs around $10-$15 and sell it instead.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I_Fly

Good idea.   Let me know if you make it.  I would be interested in a few (like you I own several recievers but can't justify more).
Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 AM
seahwk95
My Feedback: (1)

+1 on thinking it's a kick arse idea. I'd buy.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Count me in for half a dozen!!! With the FASST system just the simple jumper board is what I need...
Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 PM
aerofly0610

cool idea.  What about skipping the board and making a large connector?  For the side plug rxs you could make a straight connector and for the top plug rxs make a L shaped connector.  Like the orbit thingy but way simple.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 AM
H5487

Tripower,

You've got a good idea and judging by the responses, it looks like many here are interested. However (and I don't mean to throw cold water on your idea) there are a few major things to consider...

1. Due to non-standardization between the receiver manufacturers, and even between receiver models by the same manufacturer, it appears that you're going to have to make a specific board for each and every receiver make and model (or at least one for each popular model). And a "universal" board isn't going to work because, for example, a 4ch receiver can't plug into a board designed for more than 4 channels because the unused connectors on the board will hit the receiver case and keep it from seating to the board. This problem will apply to most receivers because there's rarely any open space beyond the servo connectors for any unused connectors on a universal board to go - either other receiver components or the case itself gets in the way (depending on the make/model).

2. You might need a crowbar to unseat a multitude of servo connectors all at once. Just one servo connector has enough grip strength that it takes some effort to unplug it from the receiver. Now, imagine trying to mate or unmate a bunch all at once. And remember, the board is attached to a balswood structure - You're not going to be able to put your foot on it to get some extra leverage. (Yeah, I know...It's an overexageration but I think you get my point.) Just think about what it takes to seat and unseat a memory chip in your computer without damaging the pins, and you can HOLD your computer securely while you do so.

Again, I think you have a good idea but I wanted to point out some obstacles that you'll have to overcome during the design stage, not after it's in production.

Just my opinion so treat it accordingly.

Harvey
Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 AM
shd3920

Great idea, but alittle late for me. I already have three receivers permanently installed in my planes. Why would a person need this adapter when they already have the multiple receivers? But still an ingenius idea, beats having to remove all the servo plugs for each plane change. But then like most people I would still have the multiple receivers that were already purchased, and what would I now do with them, would hate to just put them away after already having spent the money.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:01 PM
devinatoraviator

Also what about micro receivers that use horizontal pins to like berg and GWS
Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 AM
rmantoo

For production purposes, I'd find a manufacturer of the charge lead adapters for lipo balance plugs that have the multiple adapters on small boards. What you've drawn and propose is very close to one of those, and seems as though those manufacturers would have a leg up on development, prototyping (which would probably be on you, via Solidworks, autocad, etc) and production.

Likewise, as suggested, a smart long term solution to wearing out the pins on the receiver would be to have a small cable w/plug to plug into the receiver, leaving it semi-permanently attached, and plug THAT into your adapter board... then, every year or so, you could replace the little adapter cable.

Friendly word of warning: If you don't patent this, what's to stop a radio manufacturer from patenting it, and then sitting on it, forever, to stop you from undercutting their receiver sales?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
flyinrog

Well, I think its a good idea after all the reading (still), but you would almost need a type of gear puller tool to get it off all the pins at once (didnt think of that),,maybe a small plastic prybar or screw lever that when pulled down would lift the pin end up a tad to get started with the removal....Rog
Old 04-22-2010, 06:30 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once an idea is in public domain it is no longer patentable. Moreover, a patent granted in the United States does not mean anything in any other country. You have to file in multiple countries. The fees for getting a patent would exceed any amount you might receive from an inexpensive product like this. You also have to pay fees every few years to keep a patent in force. Even after receiving a patent, there are many ways to go around it with a few simple changes that the radio companies could do.

So make 'em, sell 'em, and keep your day job.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Campy

One thought came to me after reading these posts. The board is a fantastic idea, however, instead of having the receiver plug into the board, why not have a cable with 4 servo ends already on it and sell additional "plugs" for 6, 8 (or more) channels. Once the board is installed in the plane, some velcro on the receiver to hold it in place and just plug the cable into the receiver.

I THINK (usually bad news for me ) the cable with one plug to go into the receiver would solve much (if not all) of the compatibility problems with different receivers. The sketch may help explain what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84364.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1423000  
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
devinatoraviator

Looks a lot like a lipo board for multiple cells