Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS should I buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:09 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS should I buy?

Wow, what can I say. Out of the box the H9 P-51 and the Nexstar were the hardest for me, the instructor to get use to. Just about any other trainer is what I would recommend.....sorry.
If you do have them replace the prop with a two blade APC or Master Airscrew two or three blade prop. The stock one seems very inefficient I watch two P-51 get in trouble and there wasn't the thrust available to pull out.( I wasn't instructing)
Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi CO flyer,

IMHO the opinions voiced thus far are all valid. Opinions are like a**holes everbody has one. I have trained a few full scale pilots in R/c flying and they have ALL initially been more difficult to train, albeit they already know the airmanship and flight theory side of things but the transition from being in the aircraft to orientating the model when it variously moves away, towards and across the R/C pilot they have found to be more difficult than most rank beginners. That said once they learn to orientate the model they generally move to solo more quickly than the "norm".

Yes you could learn on the H-9 P51 and with the droops etc removed it is a reasonable second plane but it is slightly harder to see and orientate than a high wing trainer. I would suggest that you would progress more quickly if you started with a high wing trainer and the bigger, (easier to see and orientate), the better.
If you do decide to go with the Mustang I would suggest that you also purchase an electric Multiplex easy glider. I know which one you will solo first . The glider is still great fun for the rest of your R/C career when ever there is some lift about.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
DenverJayhawk

I've seen a 2 rookies crash their P51 PTS the first time they took it up without an instructor. I've never flown one, but it doesn't look like it's that stable in flight, even with all the droops and add ons. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get one. But if you get the 'Stang, make sure you're nice and comfortable flying it with an instructor before you solo. The guys I saw crash lost orientation and ended up in nearly inverted flight without realizing it.

If you're looking for a first model that you can grow with, I'd personally get a Big Stik or Ultra Stick and keep the rates on the very low side when training with an instructor. Then when you're ready, turn up the rates and it's an entirely different model. Sticks are also easy and cheap to fix and repair, which is something you should plan on doing (OFTEN) with your first or second model. You'd be amazed at how stable this model flies and it handles wind terrifically, which is something you'll need to learn to handle when flying in Colorado.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
thorn247
My Feedback: (6)

I saw try a sim, Then get the PTS, I learned on a sim and a PZ T28 was my trainer, I am still using the same wing and fuse, atho I have replaced a few cowels and engine mounts, But to be honest i think the fact that I could just go over to the park across the street anytime, helped me learn faster, I was putting in 2 to 4 flights daily! At the end of the year I inherited a Dazzler and Pulse xt 40, Both of which I could fly no problem, So over the winter I put together a GP Eagle 580, And have since had 4 enjoyable flights! So for me after a year with a foamy warbird, I am flying what I want, I think if you have the room and can fly a foamy more often you will improve that much faster! flyin is flyin!

Dave