Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

$155.00 Needs a HOME!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

$155.00 Needs a HOME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
JimmyDeQuinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $155.00 Needs a HOME!!!

My son and I are looking to get into the hobby of RC Airplanes, but we only have $155.00 to start with. We would prefer a gas trainer RTF or ARF. Dont know where to start, but the money is burning a hole in our pockets and we are ready to fly. Any suggestions on planes or kits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jimmy & Quinn
Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: $155.00 Needs a HOME!!!

Realistically, you will need about double that amount to get a trainer, engine, and radio. You might get into electric ready to fly for $155, but it won't be anything spectacular.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM
davidgeorge212

One of the cheapest descent quality trainers I have found is the one from tower hobbies. They sell it in two versions this first one is an arf where you will half to buy your motor, servos, etc... separately:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS2&P=0

The other version they have is a ready to fly that comes with everything you need to fly the plane minus the gas. (although this one is $239, over your stated budget):
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCXF4**&P=0
Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As Deadeye said, you are going to have a rough time getting in to it for that amount. Tower has a great deal on their Tower Trainer 40 package. Plane, engine, and radio for $239 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCXF4**&P=ML

This is one of the best deals out there in my opinion, and I've trained many students on this plane. You won't go wrong with it.

Ken
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
JimmyDeQuinn

Cool Thanks. Do you know of a good Electric model that we might try for the $155.00?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
davidgeorge212

This one is slightly over your budget but probably worth every penny because they fly so great.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300
Old 05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would probably want at least one more battery, but two would be better. One charge = one flight, and depending on the charger, you may have to wait an hour or two between flighs with only one battery. It would get you feet wet thgouht.

One question for those who have seen this setup, does the TX have buddy box ability. That would give this guy a better possibility of more than one flight.

Don
Old 05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
beau0090_99

You might get close with your money. Buying used is a great way to save. Personally, prefer th classified on RCGroups.com to RCUniverse, but either way, you can find some steals on Transmitters/Receivers/Servos/Motors to outfit your airplane. I bet you could cobble together a setup for under $200.
I wish you luck. Be informed that this hobby will suck you in. It may start at $200, but it won't stop there> :-)
Curtis
Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

I am in no position to know what your budget looks like, but I would back what has already has been said and wait and buy the Tower package. The best way to go for more than one or two flights a day, and for consistency in flying, the glow model, in my opinion is the way to go.

I owned a Tower trainer with an OS 46 and it was a great combination. The Tower engine is good running, easy starting, and has lots of power. A great combination to opt for.

CGr.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimmy, while the Cub will get you in the air at a low price, none of the equipment save the battery is going to be usable in the next plane.  That and the fact it is on the old CB frequencies, would stear me away from it.  Go on the AMA web site and see where the closest club is at and contact them.  I'll bet that you may be able to get a second hand trainer and usable equipment within your budget from the club members and some one to help you set it up and teach you and son to fly. 

Good luck with which ever path you take.  In fact, a guy donated a brand new, but 20 year old Futaba RC set to our club.  We can make you a great offer on that one.  You will probably need new batteries, but it is a 72mhz with receiver and four servos.  I'll have to wait until after our fun fly on the 22nd as it was scheduled for the swap meet.  Every one is going 2.4 and I don't expect any takers though. 

With this radio or one like it from a local club, and the Tower trainer, and a good second hand engine, a glow igniter, fuel pump, and a gallon of fuel, I'll bet you could get in the air well within your budget. 

Don
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Ive got a new Evolution Trainer Power System and JR Sport sx600 Radio with a 5 servo flight pack I'd take 100 + shipping for. Its out of the Hangar 9 f22 comes with the sim setup i bought it for the airframe and don't need the gear.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM
JimmyDeQuinn

Dewey I might take you up on your offer, but what else would I need to make the plane rtf? What trainer model would you or anyone suggest for your type of engine, controller and servo pack?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Dewey2

You would need a plane epoxy ca and rubber bands. It should come with all the hardware tank wheels and everything. Engine has the prop and spinner on it. The tower trainer is about the best deal from a known good company Ive saw
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

+1 on the Tower Trainer ARF, can't be beat for 69.99 (was on sale last i looked)
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Dewey2

Deleted the list to . If your interested you can pm me.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Save another 30 bucks and get this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300
Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 PM
toolmaker7341

Try nitroplanes.com for your ARF 40 size trainers $50.00 and up. Also try hobbypartz.com for your radio and servos. 2.4 ghz 6 channel computer programable radio is $45.00 and good servos $5.00 and up
Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Mr67Stang

I agree with the shop used sudjestion. Go to your local club. Undoubtably someone has a trainer package collecting dust.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I agree with the shop used sudjestion. Go to your local club. Undoubtably someone has a trainer package collecting dust.
+1 here

Glow, like the .40 size trainers (5.5 lbs) handle winds that will ground students in a foam electric (1.5 lbs).

my .02
Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Buy a trainer kit and build it with your son!

They buy a used engine and radio. (72Mhz stuff is DIRT CHEAP) $150 budget will actually buy you a lot if you aren't into the "best" or "easiest" way to get into the hobby.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

I see all the suggestions for new stuff. A few weeks back in Perry GA was one of the biggest swap meets in the country. keep that in mind for next year.

Anywho do this check craigs list you could probably pickup EVERYTHING to get in the air for the amount you suggest or less!! I check it regularly where I live and there are a ton of trainers for dirt cheap that are flyable. Some have everything including fuel!!!!

Sure it is nice to have new stuff but starting out, used can do the job just as well if not better because the "fear factor" is less because you do not have a ton of money invested. I still buy used stuff on ocassion I have been in the hobby for over 20 years! If you were here in MI I could set you up for that amount or less just by looking around online and/or making a few phone calls.

Before you spend a dime look around and check craigs list also you may find a super bargain and you could be in the air quickly. Sometimes though rare you can get a deal here too.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

If you go with a glow (gas) engine keep in mind you'll need a safe/legal place to fly it. Some people have access to land, but for most of us that means an AMA sanctioned club who will also teach you to fly. The cost of joining a club and the AMA will eat up most of your budget. AMA is $55, clubs are usually $50-$100. In the long run it's the best way to go, but if you are determined to start right away I suggest a park flyer foam/electric plane like the Park Zone Corsair. Several new members in our club taught themselves to fly on those before joining our club.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

If you want new and are open to electric planes, try this: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ4800.html. A nice, 18" foam plane - flys very well and it's durable- will not destroy itself when crashed (and it WILL be crashed!). It's also three channel, just like it's 48" bigger brother. Only downside of jumping right into gas trainers is that crash damage tends to be more extensive, and repairs will be more difficult and costly. PLAN on crashing. We all do. I started with the 48" Supercub - great plane - but I can't count how many times I had to piece it back together with tape and Monster glue. The good news is that repair of these foamies is pretty simple. You'll also be spending on spare parts (props, struts (if there) etc).

Another great point - buy used! I've gotten lots of good deals here on RC Universe. People are always upgrading and so have older stuff that they're practically GIVING away.

Also, get your extra lipo batteries from HobbyCity.com - they're in Hong Kong and probably half the price of domestic Lipo batteries (which tend to be expensive). Either way, as others have said, no matter how "cheaply" you get into this hobby, be prepared to spend LOTS more eventually. It does suck you in. (not that I've minded, but lots of guy's wives seem to).
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Sorry - the wingspan on the Mini SuperCub is 32".
Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 PM
willig10

I kinda held back on commenting on this one, however. Here is the advice I will offer you. Go on the AMA website and RCU website and any website you currently connect to. Look up RC swap meet. Find the one that is closest to you and plan on being there for both days. Usually a Saturday and a Sunday. At the meet you will find deals in the "parking lot" also go inside and register for the auction. Browse through everything. You will see prices that the owner is wanting but as the weekend progresses the prices usually come down. The auction is iffy due to some guys take great pleasure in outbidding you. (Ask me how I know). Anyway do not be afraid if you see something you are interested in to ask the owner for a lesser price.

I honestly believe you can find a good trainer with an older FM radio for the 155.00. Bear in mind the equipment may be older but more than likely is still in excellent working order. Dont let cosmetics fool you. Although we want good looking airplanes you will need to look at your prospective airplane and make sure the wings are straight as is the tail. Look the engine over if you decide to go with nitro and ask questions.

The great thing about the swap meet is when you are ready to modernize your equipment, you bring the stuff you bought and swap it or sell it at the auction the next time you attend a meet.

It is also a haven of knowledgeable people. So before you buy an item ask around at the swap meet to have an experienced RC'er come look at your prospective purchase.

These are just some ideas for you but I think you catch my drift. Welcome to this great Hobby and I sincerely hope you stay in it. It is a most rewarding Hobby

Have fun and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.