Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spads

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Kota_air
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spads

I just learned to fly last April. I started on a SPADET and struggled with it for a while and a few members suggested I might try another design. I went home that night and stayed up late building a SPAD STIK. The next day was awsome. I soloed the following day. I became very comfortable with the STIK and moved up to a Sig Somethin Extra. I got shot down the second day I had it. I was pretty pissed and my buddy suggested I put the SPAD STIK in the air just to blow off some steam. IT WORKED!
I love the Somethin Extra but the SPAD has a lower pucker factor.
Both are a blast to fly and the SPAD STIK will do anything the balsa stik will do. I fly both.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:07 AM
david a

Default Spads

I flew my Spad Deboniar over some power lines and had my signal interrupted. The result was the plane flying nose first into the ground at full throttle from a height of around forty feet. The large plastic spinner I had on it protected the carb and the engine suffered no damage, even though I pulled it four inches out of the ground. The impact sheared the prop at the hub and the engine mount broke in two. The only damage was the nose wheel / rudder servo, spinner, prop and engine mount. The plane flew again as soon as I replaced these items and it flew great. A week earlier than this a friend of mine crashed his scratch built balsa plane from a height of ten feet with the throttle slightly above idle (while landing) and the plane was completely destroyed.

When it comes to ruggedness and durability you can't beat a Spad. When it comes to flight, they fly as good as any other in it's class. When it comes to $$$ they are alone in their class. I just finished building another Deboniar with material left over from my first one. I paid $10 for a 4' x 8' sheet of coroplast and $10 for a 10' piece of downspout. That's $20 for two planes. I spent just two days building my second Debonair. I made this one a tail-dragger.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:17 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spads

Hey, you guys have a whole forum devoted to Spads. Don't start cluttering up the other forums too!
Dennis-
Old 07-20-2003, 01:31 AM
nukes

Default Spads

Dennis,
Quit attacking newbies. This is the beginners forum, not the dennis forum. He is a beginner that soloed and I give ham a atta boy. Heck he flies both balsa and spad, you should at leat give him half credit. You should be ashamed of yourself.

kota-air,
congradulations on your solo. Welcome the the HOBBY.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Woodsy

Default Spads

Well done Kota, soloing is great on any plane

And DBC i agree with Nukes, if kota had said " flew a Vmar trainer but prefer my 4*40" would you tell him to go to the ARF forum???
Old 07-20-2003, 10:43 AM
DBCherry

Default Spads

For GAWD's sake nukes (& Woodsy) get over your selves will ya'? Don't you see the wink? It was a joke about Spads.

Sure nukes, he's a beginner that solod. LAST APRIL. 3 months after solo is hardly a new flyer on this site.

Besides, try reading his post again, Spad trainer to Spad Stick to Somethin' Extra. Newbie?

Geez!
Dennis-
Old 07-20-2003, 01:44 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spads

Gotta agree with DBCherry on this one. I believe if Spads have one fault, its the overconfidence that it gives newer fliers. Now Kota, don't get all defensive on me here....I don't know your situation....this is a comment in general....not directed to you (unless it applies ).

I've been flying for 14 months, still consider myself a newbie. I put many gallons of fuel thru a trainer before I even thought about moving up to a more aerobatic plane (you can do 3D stuff with a trainer if you give yourself time to learn). When I did move up I was able to move to what most people consider their 3rd plane.

Just yesterday a guy at my field wanted my opinion of a good, low wing second plane. He did not like my answer that he should keep flying his trainer until he gets good with it, then he could buy anything he want and be able to safely fly it (he is out of control on takeoff, during flight, and landing with his trainer (has yet to hit the runway on landing)....yet he still wants another plane (even after he had just crashed the trainer)???).

Now I do agree "to each...his own", but when you become a safety hazard in my realm, then you are going to have problems with me!!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 08:03 PM
FrankC29

Default Spads

There's a rule to how many times you can mention the word "Spad" outside of a Spad forum. If you want to avoid the leaping flames, you can only mention it about once a month or so, and only then if you are talking about the WWI French BiPlane. Now, such words as ARF, LT-40, Kadet, Sig Somethin Extra, PT-40, Kit, Foam, Balsa etc. etc., you can mention those words a thousand times a mintute without worrying about being called a zealot or a freak or something. But not Spad. These are the rules guys!!!! I just broke the rule a few times, so a hundred lashes for me!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Kota_air
My Feedback: (3)

Default A SPAD subject

Hey guys I didn't mean to start something here. Just sharing my experences. Flying is a blast and something I am always ready to talk about. I don't care what it's made of as long as it flies
well and I have a good time. Can't we all just get along
Old 07-20-2003, 09:24 PM
im_a_rcav8r

Default Spads

Originally posted by wildnloose

Just yesterday a guy at my field wanted my opinion of a good, low wing second plane. He did not like my answer that he should keep flying his trainer until he gets good with it, then he could buy anything he want and be able to safely fly it (he is out of control on takeoff, during flight, and landing with his trainer (has yet to hit the runway on landing)....yet he still wants another plane (even after he had just crashed the trainer)???).

Now I do agree "to each...his own", but when you become a safety hazard in my realm, then you are going to have problems with me!!!!
I normally don't get involved with this kind of posting but I have to put in my 2 cents worth because I took Kota_air up on the buddy-box and flew with him just about every day, 2,3, sometimes 6 or 7 hours a day at the field until the day he did his first solo 2 months ago. Is he a newbie? Heck yes he is! Is he a safe and competent pilot? Absolutely! In my opinion he is quite capable of flying the Somthin' Extra. He has tamed down the control surfaces, added a bit of weight to the nose to make it fly a bit more stable and he is quite smooth with it. He puts the thing on the paved runway with ease and does not go out hot dogging or flying above his skill level. He deserves the credit he has earned it! Did he start with a spad? Yes, who cares? Does he still fly spads? Yes, some times he does, again I say who cares? Is a spad some how dangerous? No more than any other plane! So what is the big deal? I guess I just don't understand. I have been flying wood for 9 years and I think spads are quite cool... I would recommend to any new pilot he start with a spad! Why spend more money than you need to when learning. They fly just as well as the wood ones, and cost a whole lot less. I don't think it give a new pilot any more confidence ether. If you crash, you crash! Plastic, wood, foam, what ever! What ever you fly, if you have 2 working brain cells you should know your not ready to move up to a faster, harder to fly plane until you can put it on the runway every time, and fly the pattern smooth and under control. And most importantly, you have to do it without crashing! Ok.... I think I have gone on long enough! Great job Kota, If you want to fly wood, plastic, foam, or a couch cushion go for it, and if you have any questions about how to do it, or a comment about it, don't give it a second though. Post away!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:37 PM
troyp

Default Spads

Flying is a blast and something I am always ready to talk about. I don't care what it's made of as long as it flies
I would recommend to any new pilot he start with a spad! Why spend more money than you need to when learning.
I would have to totally agree with the above quotes. Its my views on rc flying in a nutshell, Well done guys.
(This is just my opinion to which I am entitled to)
Old 07-20-2003, 09:55 PM
DBCherry

Default Spads

Kota,
You didn't start anything, but apparently I did!

I made one tiny joke about you mentioning Spads. (And YES it was a joke nukes and Woodsy.)

Suddenly there's this massive war about newbies and Spad's, and who's flying what, when.... Good gawd! :stupid:

I knew there was a lot of controversy over Spads, but come on. (A bit TOO touchy are we?)

I don't care what anyone flys either. If someone thinks plastic sign material planes are god's gift to RC, good for them and have a blast. I don't particularly care to fly one. And yes, I believe you when you say they fly great. That too is terrific.

Some profile planes, and most Fun-fly planes are terrific flyers. Won't fly one of them though; just don't like the looks.

There are Stop signs, and witches, and Snoopys on doghouses, and lawnmowers that are supposed to fly great. You guessed it; don't want any of those either.

But I don't rag on people who want to fly any of it, just go fly!!
Dennis-
Old 07-21-2003, 12:47 AM
wildnloose

Default Spads

im_a_rcav8r,

I'm confused, you quoted part of my post like I was Spad bashing, which I was not (in fact, I have one and plan to build another). Also, you made it seem like I was bashing Kota (which I was not). Why did'nt you include my first paragraph...

Gotta agree with DBCherry on this one. I believe if Spads have one fault, its the overconfidence that it gives newer fliers. Now Kota, don't get all defensive on me here....I don't know your situation....this is a comment in general....not directed to you (unless it applies ).
that way you could have avoided feeling the need to vent by quoting me (I guess that is what they call "taking out of context...").

Now,
I don't think it give a new pilot any more confidence ether.
It has been my experience that this is the case more times than not. I have seen several guys try to move up from a trainer to a SPA3D(I only wish it was not true).

btw-that guy who asked for my opinion just bought a 4* 60 arf. I hope he becomes a much better pilot before he tries to fly it.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:13 PM
nukes

Default Spads

Dennis,
I must apologize to you. WE have to defend ourselves so much latley, that at the slight mention of bashing we go on the defensive. Tell you the truth, before this post I told myself, I was not going to go on the defensive again. And I stopped giving newbies heads up on spads on the forums, because a "you might check out SPADS for what you want", ussually draws the trollers that think it is fun to bash us. I now just PM them and let them make their own choice.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:49 PM
wildnloose

Default Spads

Nukes,
Maybe I'm missing something....I thought all the bashing was done in fun...

I'm always pushing Spads (this last weekend I mention spadtothebone a dozen times). The next time I update my web site it will include some spad links...

but, when you are talking to someone new to the hobby...they tend to ignore your recommendations for the most part....all they want to know is how long they have to fly a trainer before they can get that P-51 Mustang...
Old 07-21-2003, 01:42 PM
nukes

Default Spads

For the most part it is all for fun. But some people take it over the edge. On and off the forum. An example off the forum would be the following:

We have a new flyer at our club that asked one of our members to build him a spad trainer and teach him to fly. He made the trainer for him and advised him to buy a GMS engine for the plane. The new guy got the engine and the club trainer ran the engine in on the bench for the guy, before putting it on the plane. The engine seemed to run fine at the time. Well the first time to the field and after the first flight, the engine began to give us problems. Me the guy training and the new guy all tried for about two hours to get this engine to run right. We suggested that the guy call macoa and ask for them to either check the engine out or send a new one to him. (was only a month old and still under warrenty) Well, He called them and the service guy, who's name was Jim, told him he did not know what he was doing, the engine was fine. Well the new guy told him it was on a SPAD and an experianced pilot was helping him with the engine and training (over 20 years of experiance with planes, hellies, boats and gliders). The guy jumped all over the new guy and said he did not want to hear about any G D spads. He was tired of them. He then refused to help the new guy and hung up. Needless to say nobody at my club will ever buy a GMS or macao product again. If he had been flying a balsa trainer, then I would bet he would have had a better customer service experiance then he had. This newbie is a timid cat, very mild mannered, so he took it personnally. The whole anti-spad thing goes further then ribbing, when you are refused service because of it.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Spads

Interesting 'story' nukes, sounds a bit over the top to me.

OTOH, I wouldn't blame some of manufacturers for being a bit concerned over the 'bounced it off a tree, changed the prop and tossed it back in the air" 'stories' from the spadders, especially the ones who demand a new engine under warranty because the crank broke after only one flight....

ps. 'interesting' avatar, didn't realize you loved balsa enought to want to do that with it!.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:01 PM
nukes

Default Spads

Jim_McIntyre,

Just, as you say, a little ribbing with the avatar.

The story is true. Happened just last week. This engine has not been in any crashes. Even the couple of dead sticks they had to do were uneventfull, the plane glides very well. Just feel sorry for the guy for wasting the money on an engine that won't run correctly and can't get service, just because of what the engine was on.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Spads

Originally posted by nukes
Just feel sorry for the guy for wasting the money on an engine that won't run correctly and can't get service, just because of what the engine was on. [/B]
That is sad if true.

Playing devil's advocate here;
I guess I'm saying that I can understand the reaction to some degree. How would you feel if you were the niche market, low profit margin manufacturer of a precision product and were innundated with replacement requests for something that was obviously being abused by an unplanned for niche user group?

I'm not saying that this is the case (I wouldn't know) but, as with most situations, the innocent suffer for the misdeeds of the ignorant few.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:14 PM
nukes

Default Spads

Jim,
Anyone could crash and call up to a company wanting a new engine. No matter what they fly. But it is pretty obvious when an engine has been in a crash and one that has not. You can't be in business and discriminate on who you want to serve or honor warranties.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Spads

The real world is seldom so cut and dried...

I agree with you in principle but, the SPAD flying I have seen and the posts I've read lend me to think that when the plane is less fragile, the rest fo the components are expected to live up to a higher standard.

I watched a good friend flying his PBF last weekend...
I know, if I smacked my balsa plane as hard as he smacked his PBF (on several occasions), I'd have been picking up pieces and shipping the receiver off to be checked out before trusting it in the air again....
Old 07-21-2003, 05:34 PM
nukes

Default Spads

I myself don't like PBFs. They are too unstable. Ask anyone that flys them, because that is what makes it fun for THEM.

Jim,
While I was in collage, I work in sales. I understood the basic principle of repeat customers and the benefits and despair that can come from those customers, by the means of "word of mouth". I did not discriminate and showed the customers respect. In doing so I excelled in sales past my fellow associates that believed sales had to be cut throat. I knew if that customer left happy, I would see them again. I also knew that if that customer left upset, they would let everyone know in their social circle what happened. This in turn causes a company to have a bad reputation and therefor less revenue generation through sales. This applies to any company that prides themselves on sales and customer service. What they did was wrong, and they will loose business from it. Probably not enough from our club to effect the bottom line, but if this guy make a regular practice of this behavior, it will start effecting others as well. And you know how fast things spread.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:50 PM
im_a_rcav8r

Default Spads

Wildnlose,

I just want to apologize for my post sounding harsh or vent-like. I get on a soap box some times when I feel strongly about something. I did not want to take your post and twist it into something it was not.... What I did was start to respond to that section quoted, but then I got off the subject and on my soap box. For that I say "I'm Sorry". The point I was trying to make was this. If it is safe, fun, and you like to fly it, well then fly it.

That's all... I am not a pro-SPAD, nor am I pro-Wood. I am only pro-FUN!

Lets just keep this fun....

I also want to comment on one other post in this thread. Some one said people expect the gear to live up to the higher punishment level the Plastic aircraft can and sometimes do dish out. I totally agree! If you abuse your equipment, you should not expect the manufacturer to honor the warrantee..

Keep 'em flyin'!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 02:03 AM
nukes

Default Spads

If you abuse your equipment, you should not expect the manufacturer to honor the warrantee..
True, but the engine in question, has not been abused.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:04 AM
Woodsy

Default Spads

one of the problems seems to be people see SPAD and immediatly think "combat", they dont realise combat is now a small part of the SPAD concept.
I for one am happy to have people like Jim, BRW, monkeybutt etc deride the concept (well after my last dummy spit) it pushes us to prove them wrong, they say SPAD is ugly Ben builds one of his scale SPAD's, they say SPAD is heavy, Chris builds a SPAD lighter than the balsa version, they say SPAD cant 3D we end up with the PQHOR etc.

may be we should thank the knockers for contributing to what SPAD is today.
10 years from now the mention of SPAD wont even raise an eyebrow and i predict the big name companies once they see some woney to be made will be producing SPAD kits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.