Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Egg all over my face!!!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Egg all over my face!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Egg all over my face!!!

The biggest problem people have with landings is they try to force or over control the plane. Most planes will land themselves if you let them. Minor input and a steady thumb is required. Don't forget the rudder. USE IT! They are made to fly. Let it happen. Like they said you are not the first and sure won't be the last. Good luck and never give up on the controls. Think like an airplane. Put your head in the cockpit and make it happen. Nice and easy on the sticks.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Recently lost 2 airplane, Escapade RX problem, P51 Mustang MKII PTS, my mistake[:@], been flying for the last 5 1/2 years but mistakes are there to learn. I've learned my lesson, and determined to get a plane soon enough and fly again

Mody
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM
tony0707

hi you do not only lean to fly from a good instructor-he will teach you how to keep your two cylce glo engine runningthere is a good size learning curve that one must master to keep your aircraft flying with a two cycle glo engine- ( OR ANY GLO ENGINE )we could talk maintenance but that w/b another thread i think i will go start that right nowENJOY REGARDS TONY
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
p51Dpony

You have a great attitude and fun side so keep it up.  There is one serious issue everyone's thinking about and that's safety.  Unless you're at field mostly alone and away from spectators do the initial flights w/ helper/instructor.  We had a guy show up w/ .46 size trainer, pretty typical starter plane. said  he was getting back into hobby, did control line years back, he was offered help but flatly refused stating he knew everything and had even practiced a little on the simulator.  As a small rural club we took him at face value and in retrospect I realize he didn't even have AMA..!  He fire up plane and took off, that motor ran good, so good the plane started doing 70mph loops right after takeoff, people were running in every direction, the plane came down in the pits, wide open, straight in, and parts appeared to explode all over and engine buried itself about 10 inches into the rock-hard caliche (sp?), the crash happened about 4 feet from a toddler of one of the regular pilots there.  That guy didn't know Jack **** from John **** and we regulars were wrong to not require a "check-out" flight to ascertain him as an actual pilot.  Good thing we were all lucky that day because no one was smart.   A normal person wouldn't get offended when offered help so we should have been wise to this guys deep ability to Bull **** persons....but I digress..

keep up the flying!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
cremation101
My Feedback: (2)

i crashed my first one, total destruction after taxiing up and down the runway. had to buy another one , while i was in middle of third flight with instructor i had to tell him it wasnt the one he saw the week before.
he almost crashed it from laughing
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: JimmyDeQuinn

I made the fatal mistake of trying to fly my new Tower Trainer on my own after only one lesson at the field with an instructor. And of course I crashed my plane .
I think it was good your instructor got the first flight out of the way for you, trimming it, and making sure it was ready for take off.
The thing to remember at this point is the mistake is probably the most common one made, over controlling your plane. Think about driving on the highway, when the road ahead starts to turn, you don't turn the wheel as far as it will go! Gently ease the sticks just like when you steer a car at highway speeds.
When you come in to land, let the plane slow down, cut throttle before making the last turn for the runway to slow down and your plane will come down. You'll slowly add more up elevator as you get closer to the ground. The idea is to have full up elevator right at the point you touch down, so I was told, and it worked.
Your plane should have all the surfaces centered (with the radio on), range checked, everything tight and fastened, and then let your instructor check it to see what you missed. You made it this far, don't lose the plane all the way. Hope you can fix it. Post some pictures, we can help you with that too. After fixing it, check the CG to make sure you're still balanced and the engine is clean before you restart it.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

You will do OK! We learn by our mistakes, You will remember this and one day when you are teaching you can tell your student well here's what I did! If ypur intructor lacks a lttle time teaching you, because you want to learn faster then he is able to teach. Go out to the field and just watch the pilots! Pay attention to the take off and landings. You can learn allot from watching others. But be patient and he will teach you from his does and dont's his mistakes! The crasher video's I do not watch because I like crashes, I really do not because I know what goes into a plane even an ARF. I watch them to see what went wrong and that has taught me more about the does and the dont's of flying! Had the boxes to say something also! Good luck Jimmy!

Staying at least 10ft off the ground even for takeoff and landings = you will never crash!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 AM
scooterinvegas

I did the same thing(impatient). I had one lesson on a Saturday under my belt, the next day my buddy was too busy to come out with me. I decided to throw caution to the wind and drive out to the dry lake by myself. When I got out there, there was two guys out flying. The min I got out of my truck, I informed them that I was going to try and solo. One asked how long I have been flying w/ a instructor, and I said 4 tanks yesterday! He was totally cool with it. He said "don't worry about anything, I wont let you crash, just keep it 3 mistakes high, and holler if you need help". You have no idea how much I appreciated him making that offer (thanks Richard). Anyway, long story short, he help me get the plane down dead stick the first flight. I flew 4 tanks and only broke 3 props, but drove home with my Superstar 40 intact. Some times, right or WRONG, we just cant help our selves when it comes to taking the first steps to soloing. Do the right and honorable thing, go back to the field, tell them your little brother/son ran your plane over with their bike. Continue with having fun and learning a great new hobby. Scoot
Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The egg comes right off!

Go back to the field with your plane fixed tell your instructor what you did. Have him look it over to make sure it is ok.

Then tell him "I am ready to learn". You have already learned one of the biggest lessons of this hobby. It can humble anybody very quickly.

Just be honest. He may laugh or chuckle but don't take it personally. If he does laugh with him. Then take it up and fly. Your instructor will respect you more that way.

Welcome to the hobby!! You got the first crash out of the way!!! Learning from mistakes is how we get better and learn.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:48 PM
traiders
My Feedback: (3)

The first plane I had in the 80's was a Dura Plane trainer. The instructions said it would be easier the first time to fly it if some one ran and threw the plane. Thats the last time I saw the plane for two days.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
prop wash

A few years ago a young boy and his dad came up to me and asked if I would take his first trainer up and teach him.I said yes and proceeded to check everything ,servo's,rods ,all the controls,tightenig everything.I even put a socket head wrench to the engine mounts and fire wall.I started the engine,tuned it up and said OK lets go[also range check] and promtly taxied out,and pointed her into the wind.Plane lifted off and about ten ft the engine and motor mount parted the plane.Crash! When we got to the plane all the bolt were still there but he had epoxied the engine and mount to the firewall.There were no blind nuts behind the fire wall.Never saw them agian.But I learned a good lesson.Keep trying WITH and instructer. Tom
Old 05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

prop wash,

I've never heard any story like that, it literally kinda stunned me, more to it, those dad & son were never seen again[X(]

Mody
Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 PM
hairy46

That is a great story! How people miss something like not putting in blind nuts when you know it was in the instuction manual to do! I was ask to teach a new guy at our field, Looked through the plane it was electric, and everything checked out with range check seemed well done! So we were up him on the buddy box and me with the control. I gave it to him many times and he would get into trouble fast! I knew other had tried to teach him with thier planes. Well next thing I know the plane just wants to go up! Wing comes off and fuse comes down hard! The only thing I did not check was the plastic rubberband ties. They were supose to be glued on and he felt they were on tight enough. one of them came off in flight! Never even thought of checking those because it stated in the manaul to epoxy them on So it looks like if you are new and you build your plane without help, Please do it the way the book says! We that teach at least think you did build it by the book and miss little important stuff like that! We are looking at control serf, ect. and nut missing blind nuts and glue!