Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Egg all over my face!!!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Egg all over my face!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 AM
JimmyDeQuinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egg all over my face!!!

I made the fatal mistake of trying to fly my new Tower Trainer on my own after only one lesson at the field with an instructor. And of course I crashed my plane . Luckily the damage was minor and I will be able to fix it fairly simply. But now I have to go back to the field with egg all over my face because I got over anxious and tried to fly on my own. Maybe I can fix it and make it look like new and they will never know. . . (wishful thinking).
Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Egg all over my face!!!

Well, Jimmy, you live and learn. Once you get through the solo, and have some experience under your belt, you will remember that for when you start to instruct someone.

Hang in there.. the egg wipes off pretty easily. [X(]

CGr.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't feel bad, you're not the first who's done this and you sure as hell won't be the last. The good news is: At least you've realized that it is not as easy as it looks and that you really DO need an instructor - AND - It was a relatively inexpensive lesson! Many people totally trash their plane while learning this.

Personally, I'm glad you had the cajones to tell everyone. Maybe this will save others from making the same mistake!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
Personally, I'm glad you had the cajones to tell everyone. Maybe this will save others from making the same mistake!
I was thinking the same thing... maybey a lessons learned for begginners sticky is in order with this a #1.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 AM
flyinrog

I did it too...back in 94, didnt bang mine up too bad, I could take off and fly decent,it was that dang landing I just didnt get....but amazingly enough a plane will only cartwheel so far, then you have a 50/50 shot of it ending up on its wheels....Rog

But then another benefit of ADHD is you really dont care what people think about you...
Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 AM
JimmyDeQuinn

The crash happened on take off... Everything was going good down the runway, but when the plane took off I kinda freaked out and backed off the throttle when I should have left the throttle open. The engine stalled and there was no way to save it. It was only up about 20 feet, so it didn't have far to fall.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
G.Barber

I did the same thing when I started several years ago, with similar results! I think it's something almost everyone does at one point. It is definitely harder to fly than it looks. keep practicing though, and you'll be flying your first successful solo soon.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Forget telling everyone...

I'm impressed you had the cajones to TRY IT! 

You get MAJOR thumbs up from me for NOT taking all this too seriously.  it's only a toy airplane, and as you're learning in the other thread...it's fixable!  So heck...go out there, have fun, and try!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

You guys are telling him he has BOXES - which is what "cajones" means. The word is COJONES, a different meaning entirely!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I failed Spanish
Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: EloyM

You guys are telling him he has BOXES - which is what "cajones" means. The word is COJONES, a different meaning entirely!

D.

That's my final answer.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
JimmyDeQuinn

lol
Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Boxes Or otherwises Jimmy I commend you for making that post as it very well may help some new folks here in the beginners forum to actually seek experiianced help. The compulsion to not seek help is the number one cause in my opinion for many early losses.

I can see many happy landings for you

John
Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: JimmyDeQuinn

The crash happened on take off... Everything was going good down the runway, but when the plane took off I kinda freaked out and backed off the throttle when I should have left the throttle open. The engine stalled and there was no way to save it. It was only up about 20 feet, so it didn't have far to fall.
A tip to remember, just in case the cajones stop spinning again during take-off:
Nose down as soon as possible, and wait for the thing to speed up towards the ground, then pull up as hard as you can to level the fuse.
It may crash, yes, but the damage will likely be less.

It can happen again if the engine is tuned to lean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhpoNsI5EcQ

Good luck to you and your son!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude I completely destroyed 4 planes trying to teach myself.

Trying to coordinate time with a teacher is frustrating Iknow and I was sorely tempted to just try and make a few easy flights the other day but I am too poor to be buying planes so I resisted.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

Reading the original post brought back memories of my very first attempt.
I had spend some time on a basic Flight Sim so I had some idea of the controls but was way wayyyy far from soloing.
I took PT .40 trainer out to the local flying field all ready to go but there was nobody out there.
While waiting for someone else to show up I decided to taxi it a little. Next thing I know I was 20 ft in the air! YIKES!!!
Well, after flying it right through the sun on the down wind leg and after almost flying through a fence (The flying field is in the middle of a farmers field) I managed to do what is probably the best landing I did for the next couple of years!
When the instructor finally arrived I got laughed at and made fun of etc, but I stuck with it.
Now I fly Jets, Gassers and glow powered planes and still make mistakes, but I live and learn and hopefully you will to!

George
Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Adui

Nostalgia time..

My first attempt into this hobby put me with an instructor who promised to teach me how to not crash, IF I paid attention.

Well I couldnt meet his schedule, (Read I worked graveyards and was too $%#$^^ lazy to get up early on my day off when he offered his time) so I didnt get much consistent stick time.

Soo, one day I goes to the field on my own to just practice taxi-ing (sp?). I throttled up a bit more each run up and down the runway till I was at nearly half throttle, and got ballsy (stupid?) enough to pull back on the stick. Well, I had been playing with the rudder trim so she was out of trim. She immediately began a slow climb drifting left off the runway into the no fly zone. I panicked, did not throttle up as I should have, and with the poor plane grabbing for air at near stall speed I tried to aileron roll it back right. It didnt respond of course, and hit a tree about 30 feet up, coming strait down and tearing the firewall off.

Insult to injury: I had to ask my instructors son, (the friend who got me into the hobby) how to fix it... ($10 and a bruised ego later she was flight ready again)

Lesson learned LOL

Glad yours was minor too, good luck on the lessons you will get it!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM
MarksHangar

Dude, you have no idea how may planes I killed in the 70's attempting to teach myself how to fly. Growing up in the country with no one to teach me, I did it the hard way, now I teach others to fly. Hang in there and you will look back on this with warm memories of those early days..., but.... get back into the cockpit with your instructor and learn from this.

Regards,

Mark.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:51 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

From a previous thread:

So I just want to thumb my nose at everyone of you who told us we were insane for even thinking we could get a good plane at that price...lol
I'll bet "every one of them" is quietly chuckling.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

This brings back memories. When I got into the hobby for the first time back in 97 I was an incredibly impatient 17 year old and got tired of waiting for the instructor, who in my opinion, wasn't teaching me quickly enough. I went out to the field a lot on my own and due to my incompetence at tuning the engine, ended up deadsticking most of the time and would fix the damage that night. That all ended when I was flying around at a smaller field one day with the throttle pegged at WOT because I couldn't get it to run at a speed anywhere below that. My depth perception got all screwey and I swore I was in front of that huge water tower at the south end of the field......nope. The 60+ MPH perpendicular impact ruined every single part of that plane. The noise was spectacular. I was pretty depressed about it at the time, but I can look back at it now and laugh. I learned a valuable lesson and recalled it when I got back into the hobby 10 years later. Hang in there, and try your best to be patient. Your time will come.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would we laugh? He has meat nuggets.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM
willig10

Look on the bright side. At least you got your first solo out of the way. Now the real learning starts.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
joeheren
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: willig10

Look on the bright side. At least you got your first solo out of the way. Now the real learning starts.
lol
Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

At least you're not timid with the trainer. Some gain years of experience to accomplish the same demise with their plane, crashing will still happen, some even announce their crash before they know it, saying "Watch this".
They have far more egg on their face than you.

The better part of crashing is getting that wonderful opportunity to get another model you've had your eye on for awhile to add to your hangar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.