Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: shop ideas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

shop ideas

Guys, just moved into a new house and had a shop built into it. Let me hear some ideas please. It's about the size of a one car garage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: shop ideas

First idea... make it bigger

I'm sure Minnflyer will get in on this and show you pictures of "Man-Land" that he has built.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fill it with models.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One of the things I've found most usefull is a roll around work table. Ya might want to work one into your plans. I also use a lot of peg board and magnetic tool holders. I suggest that you go sit in the shop with nothing in it and just start DREAMING of how you want it to be. Take your time !!!! ENJOY !!! RED

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any links for tables to be fitted/ installed into the garage's corner? to make working area?
    It's great2 keep flying invariably. Hitec Aurora9 2.4 GHz, Yak 54-120 XYZ 20, MXS-R RCG 20 (AMA Member)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

First idea... make it bigger
    And it STILL will not be big enough!
    There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: red head

One of the things I've found most usefull is a roll around work table.
    Ditto. Ideally, you'll want two tables. One that is firmly attached to a wall where you will mount your vise so you can push, pull, hammer, bend and generally beat the hell out of things without having the bench move or fall apart, and a second table for building/working/repairing that stands alone so you have 360 degree access to it.

Wheels on table 2 are a bonus so you can move it out of the way should you ever need to (And you probably will).
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a low boy water heater in my shop, instead of in the house. To use the space I built a work table ( on wheels ) that slides over the water heater when stored, also a work space. Then when I want it I just unlock the wheel locks and roll it where it will be most handy. When done it goes back where it belongs. I think the price was about $ 30.

My Hobby space isn't a big as it was before I retired and moved to Fl.. Of course for 12 years all I had was 399 sq ft in the 5th wheel and most of that belonged to the wife. lol
    ENJOY !!! RED

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like the wheel part - My problem is where in heck do you put all the tools ya dont need but have laying around and extra stuff like wheels , parts motors and all the rest , mine take up the whole top of a full size door on saw horses and another folding 4 f ttable and I need aplace to hang or stack planes as I have a 4 x 8 sheet on couple horses to hold the planes , I know it takes up 1/2 the garage all summer - and ideas less the wifes would be appreachieted- dont ask what she said do with them
    Don
    Owner of -rcskyjumper
    Chutes and jumpers and suport items

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hang everything you can on a wall. It's easier
    to find what you are looking for. Nails are cheap.

My bench is on wheels also,

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26676.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	1450587  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Make sure you leave room to walk.

There are five tables in this image PLUS a table saw and radial arm saw table. Can you spot them?

Never enough horizontal space.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67594.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	1452283  
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get the height of your worktable[s] right for you. Decide if you work standing or sitting most of the time before you do this.

Set up an extractor fan system to provide positive extraction ventilation where you will be using cyano and epoxy. THIS IS IMPORTANT !

Have a hole in the back corner of your building bench with a trash can beneath it.

Get an old chest of drawers and put it to the right of where you will work. Assuming you are right handed. Storage.

Get a couple of magnetic knife bars and put them under a shelf above your main work area. Ikea do cheap ones.

Have an anglepoise lamp set up over the building board and a some ceiling lighting above the board.
    The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dmowery

Like the wheel part - My problem is where in heck do you put all the tools ya dont need but have laying around and extra stuff like wheels , parts motors and all the rest , mine take up the whole top of a full size door on saw horses and another folding 4 f ttable Β*and I need aplace to hang or stack planes as I have a 4 x 8 sheet on couple horses to hold the planes , I know it takes up 1/2 the garage all summer - and ideas less the wifes would be appreachieted- dont ask what she said do with them
    Don
    A couple of years ago Home Depot had a metal 24" x 40" work bench for about $100 (I am not sure if it is still offered or not). The "workbench" had 3 drawers on one side, 2 drawers on the other side. I put 4 3" locking castors on it (to get it up to the height I wanted) and a piece of 3/4" particle poard 30" x 54" glued and bolted (recessed the heads of the bolts into the particle board) to the top. I topped that with a piece of sheetrock. The unit is not light, but it moves easily. My workshop is 1/2 of a 10' x 16' shed (the other half is for the riding mower, snow thrower, etc. It is a little tight, but very workable for up to 60 size planes (the planes are hung from the rafters in the shed).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Cruzo... one thing I did was build a bench just for elecreical. I built 2 more benches with drawers and should have built a drawer in the electrical bench too. Make sure you build the bench longer than a 60 size plane, my 48 inch long benches are too short and do not have wheels. I have almost knocked the stab off of my P-47 a few times because I did'nt center the plans on the table. All of my benches need wheels. Also I made some hangers for wings and fuselage from PVC, I recomnend using 3/4 inch because the 1/2 inch flexes as you can see in the picture.
    MostlyKaos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

j.doncker mentioned up above about getting an old chest of drawers. I got lucky awhile back and found an old dresser in a salvation army outlet that needed repairs, got it for $5.00. Spent a little time tightening and cleaning and now it's stuffed full of junk and is even and extra roll around if I need it. Sometimes these outlet stores get stuff in that they won't try to fix and you can get them for a song. ENJOY !!! RED

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My tables are all built in. They are a U shape. I have tools and saws on the side, and 2 workbenches. I also have a 3 x 3 rolling bench that I roll around in between and use for way more than I ever thought i would. Sometimes it holds planes, sometimes tools. Its all good.

I went with a bench at about 40 inches. I can stand and work, but now with the broken back I find I use a tall stool mostly. Now I wish it was shorter because i can't stand at it for very long. One more month and that might change.

Make it at the height you like the best. Most of my friends like to sit and work in a regular chair. I prefer to stand if i can.
    Fly it till the wings come off.