Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RealFlight G2 or RealFlight G2 LIte

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RealFlight G2 or RealFlight G2 LIte

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 01:04 AM
timnbrody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RealFlight G2 or RealFlight G2 LIte

I posted this question on the Simulator forum a few days ago, and got limited response, so I'll try here. I'm looking to get a Sim and the RealFlight G2 Lite looks good to me. 70 dollars cheaper than the full version. I have no idea about sims, but reading what the G2 lite has, and comparing the two on the RealFLight web site, it would appear that the G2 Lite will definitly give me the stick time, and familiarize me with different planes ( to whatever extent a sim can), and the radio system. I don't own, or play any type of video games, so I'm just looking to get some training before I go to the next step. One response I got said that they would have spent the extra 70 dollars and got the full version instead of the LIte, but they didn't say why. Anyone out there with the G2 Lite that can tell me if It will get the job done, and if I'll be happy with it.

Thanks, Tim
Old 07-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Piraro76

I'm getting the G2 Lite and was actually wondering about the same thing.
According to the Real Flight website, the only difference between the lite and full version is the number of models and fields you have available, but I don't know...
Old 07-20-2003, 04:29 AM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Default Re: RealFlight G2 or RealFlight G2 LIte

Originally posted by timnbrody
I posted this question on the Simulator forum a few days ago, and got limited response, so I'll try here. I'm looking to get a Sim and the RealFlight G2 Lite looks good to me. 70 dollars cheaper than the full version. I have no idea about sims, but reading what the G2 lite has, and comparing the two on the RealFLight web site, it would appear that the G2 Lite will definitely give me the stick time, and familiarize me with different planes ( to whatever extent a sim can), and the radio system. I don't own, or play any type of video games, so I'm just looking to get some training before I go to the next step. One response I got said that they would have spent the extra 70 dollars and got the full version instead of the LIte, but they didn't say why. Anyone out there with the G2 Lite that can tell me if It will get the job done, and if I'll be happy with it.

Thanks, Tim
I own the full version of G2 and have used the lite version on a friend's computer before. My advice would be to spend the extra money and get the full version. The lite version works fine, but I personally prefer the full version better. If you do not plan on using the sim seriously, then the lite will do. You will not be able to adjust the plane's motor, CG, landscape, all add-on's are not compatible with the lite version, etc...

Example: The lite's version of Airplane Performance Options include 3 skill levels, the G2 full version offers 200+ adjustable parameters. http://www.realflight.com/comparison.html

The full version offers more for your money IMO. My friend that has the lite version, begged me to install the full version after he bought the lite version thinking the same thing that you are thinking. Cheaper, will be enough, don't need the extra bell and whistles, etc... This was the mental thinking until the full version was tried. If you plan on using the sim to fly occasionally, then the lite will be fine, but if you want to utilize the sim experience, then the G2 full is the way to go.

Hope this helps you decided,
Old 07-20-2003, 05:57 AM
BotleRocketWar

I am just here to reinforce what DTB said...

You should definitely get the full version. You will seriously regret it in a couple months if you don't...

You can't change anything in Lite...All the same airplanes flying the same way on every flight. It's boring and there is no room to expand on your flying. It's like having a trainer that you can't adjust the throws, CG, or anything like that on. Would you buy that?

Getting the full version allows you change everything, make anything fly like anything else (You can make a B-17 go 500 MPH if you feel the need). You can make them look just like your airplane or just like your dream airplane. Above all, you can download airplanes other people have designed and modified. There are hundreds on the internet you can download, there is always something new to try. There is always something else to change. Always something new to learn!

Go with the full version. You will wonder why you were even considering "G2 Lite".

Most people see it as being cheaper, without much difference compared to the full version. Those people end up buying the upgrade and that's where Great Planes makes their money...

Don't make that mistake.

Have I made my point?
Old 07-20-2003, 11:22 AM
FatCat

I am here to give the complete opposite position. I own the lite version, and have used a friends full version. If you want to use it as a trainer, go for the lite version. It has adjustable wind, and yes the add ons are compatible with lite. If you want to play a video game and use it as a trainer, go with the full version. After all, I think the purpose of training software is to help you learn orientation, attitude, control, not pylon racing or making a b-17 go 500 mph.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:08 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Originally posted by FatCat
I am here to give the complete opposite position. I own the lite version, and have used a friends full version. If you want to use it as a trainer, go for the lite version. It has adjustable wind, and yes the add ons are compatible with lite. If you want to play a video game and use it as a trainer, go with the full version. After all, I think the purpose of training software is to help you learn orientation, attitude, control, not pylon racing or making a b-17 go 500 mph.

Just my 2 cents.
FatCat, sorry but even the Realflight's web site even states that the add-on capability is limited for the lite version and fully compatible with the full version. The lite version also does not allow internet usage, which is not a big deal, but no adjustable parameters on the plane can get very boring as BotleRocketWar stated previously. I agree, if the sim is going to be used merely as a training (limited training) tool, the lite version is the perfect choice. The full version does allow for many more different setups for each plane or the same plane. Different motors, clipped wing, different CG location, throw level, wing airfoil, creating flying emergencies (reverse servos, locked servos, flameouts, radio, etc..). G2 full also allows to record flying sessions and playback while flying another aircraft which is nice to have. There are several differences in the two version besides gaining more planes and sites to fly at. I can't list all the differences, but go back to the web site and see for yourself the differences.

The full version is worth the extra dinero,
Old 07-20-2003, 01:16 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I only know 3 people who bought the G2 lite....all wish they had bought the full version instead...
Old 07-20-2003, 02:51 PM
timnbrody

I would like to thank all who responded, and all of the good information. I will probably end up going with the full version, even though I am almost positive that I will never use it to its full capabilities. Again I am not really into video games and don't see myself changing all kinds of screens and so forth. Right now I just see myself playing around with the PT-40 trainer, trying to get a feel for the sticks, and how the plane responds. What "Fat Cat" described above will be what I use it for. The more I think about it, maybe I will go with the Lite, who knows, I guess whatever the wife will allow will be the final decision. HaHa.
Thanks again for all of the info, Tim.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:06 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why sell yourself short. A simulator will help you in so many ways.

I know several good flyers that use it all the time to practice new maneuvers, practice flying in variable windy conditions, when you cannot get to the field, keep skills sharp, etc..
You can try out that new plane before you maiden it (just find a similar plane on the simulator and fly the snot out of it....it helped me). One guy told me that I should start flying helicopters to soften my controls out and make my maneuvers smoother.....it works....
Old 07-20-2003, 05:23 PM
donhamp

Well you say all you see yourself doing is flying the PT-40 but that'll get boring as your skills increase. I've owned the full version for well over a year and I still use it constantly. Do I use if to practice touch and go's with the PT-40, definately not. Now I have the add on packs and I use it to practice torque rolling and various other 3D tricks. I wouldn't be 1/4 as good as I am now without the hours of stick time I spent on G2.

Do you plan on ever owning a plane outside of the PT-40? What motor do you plan on putting in it? Why not give yourself the opportunity to try different things with that plane prior to taking it to the field? I've made enough balsa tooth picks on G2 to fill up the world's Wal-Marts, but I can do things that many many pilots that I fly with cannot in real life. Why? Using G2, adjusting the planes to my likes and changing out motors to discover what is really going to work well.

Without question, you WILL use G2 to it's full potential if you really want to become a good pilot. I am not a vid game fan myself but... doing the limbo bar event inverted is alot of fun and it really sharpens your skills.

It's like buying an automobile without a/c and all the other bells and whistles. Yeah, it gets you there... but you cannot wait to get out. Or a luxury automobile that you just love to drive and drive and drive. Is saving the $70.00 worth being bored with it in a short time. BTW the upgrade from light to full is $99.00.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:11 PM
BotleRocketWar

Originally posted by FatCat

Just my 2 cents.
There is nothing else around here that bothers me more than that!

I can't stand seeing guys sell their simulators or say they don't need it right after they learn to fly around in circles with a trainer. You need the simulator JUST AS MUCh after that as you do in the beginning. It's not just "training software". Not using it after learning to fly is a terrible mistake IMO.

You will only hurt yourself by getting rid of it...You're flying skills will barely improve if you don't fly enough. With a simulator, you can be the best pilot at the field in a couple weeks having more fun than the rest too. Everyone seems to underestimate how great a tool a simulator can be (Especially Real Flight G2)...Except those that use it and continually use it to improve and get better and better everytime.

Don't get the Lite version and don't sell it. Don't do that to yourself... I promise you that you will save more than what you paid for the simulator compared with how many crashed airplanes you would have trying the same manuevers out at the field.

Something else to look at... If you do end up selling it right after you can bounce down the runway with a trainer, you can get most of your money back with either version. The value of these things never really goes down...You might lose $20 with the Lite version, but the same with the full version. In the end, it's all the same if you sell it.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:13 PM
BotleRocketWar

And what's wrong with it being fun (a game)? Isn't that why we're in this hobby in the first place?
Old 07-21-2003, 01:29 PM
FatCat

Sorry to offend you botle, I guess I am just from the school of "take the extra 70 bucks you saved on the lite version and buy a new motor" Go out and enjoy flying in the real world. Don't just be a desk captain.

Like I said it was just my opinion, not gospel. I wonder what they did in the days before simulators..hmmmm

Oh, and by the way. I have had the lite version for about a year...never once did I wish I had bought the full version, and never once have I been "bored" with it.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:59 PM
chrisc

I bought the liet version and it taught me the orientation and really helped me learn to fly. After I learned to fly though I found that I could not get planes like I want to own and add them to the sim. I then went back and upgraded to the full version so I could practice on planes I want to own and see how they fly. I now use it to learn new maneuvers on planes I own or want to own. Buy the full version to start with and save yourself some money in the long run.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Live Wire

FatCat before Sims there was no such thing as bad weather! Know I fly year around and don't have to fly in rain and snow. Gives you a good reason to get up in the morning!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:50 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you are going to get the sim to learn to fly then the light version is good. If you want to use it to be as perfect as you can be, then you need the full version. The ability to configure the plane to anything that you have in your hangar is wonderful!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:18 AM
EindeckerE.III
My Feedback: (3)

I wonder what they did in the days before simulators..hmmmm
Crashed allot of plains!

That’s why I own G2 full version, it has helped a lot. I don’t think I would be flying solo after one gallon of fuel throw my plane if I didn’t have the sim.

Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Spaceclam

you cannot download polanes, fields, trim schemes etc from the swap page. well, you can, but they won't work. i don't think you can get add-on disks to work either
Old 07-23-2003, 03:24 AM
TallDude.
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I have the full Realflight G2 and love it.. Well worth the price in my opinion!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:41 PM
FatCat

Not that it matters because I am going to be jumped on about my choice either way, but all 4 add-on discs work perfectly with my lite version.