Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

new guy lookin for a decent rc plane under $50

unless you start in electrics, $150 will get you a plane, and 1 servo. it will probably cost you $300 min. to get started unless you buy everything used for $200
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a Dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by Crashem
    Flyboy,

The kid is 14... You did read that part. Whether he sticks in the hobby or not is irrevelent
    Age doesn't make a darn bit of difference. I started when I was 12. I mowed lawns and worked my tail off to get the money because I didn't believe in asking the parents for toys that are that expensive.

My point is that you can get into the hobby right and spend about $350 doing it, or spend a lot more doing it wrong and get fed up and end up quitting. I have been doing it almost 30 years and have never regretted doing it right.

He can work to get into the hobby, or he can get someone elses garbage and hate it and quit. I am just trying to get him to realize that it is a lot better to work for it and get into it right.

With the help of a club, he may get into it cheaper. That would be a good thing too, but get the help and go for it.

Its a great hobby. Have fun with it.
    Fly it till the wings come off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Come-on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure he could get an airhog from walmart, but that's not what he's looking for. Everyone isn't made of money, and getting new blood into the hobby is always good, as discoraging remarks are bad, and I've been in the hobby for 15 years, and never regretted doing it the "wrong way".
    It didn't cost me a load of money like it would have, had I listened to people that's said,"if ya don't do it like me, you're wrong".

Jetts

P.S. With "the help of a club" I would never have gotten into any of this! Just venting, no need to get you're shorts in a bunch!
    Self employed genius visionary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey if you want you can build a SPAD for around $20.00. while you are doing that save some money for the radio and engine. go to spadtothebone.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by DBCherry
    [
    Maybe you should look for a paper route, or mow lawns or something to fund this adventure.
    Dennis- [/B]
    thats what i was thinking.you need to start with at least 300.00.that will a RTF and a little support equip.
    john
    count your blessings,not your problems

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

building sounds like a great idea, but he's just starting out and i'd not recommend that- its not easy IMHO. What I advise you to do is to ask around your local flying club and ask those seasoned people (10++ years of flying) if you could unload their attics of the NUMEROUS planes. My instructor has flewn for 14 years, and he has 14 planes. He offered my mate one for SGD300- complete. Although all the parts are used though.

SGD300 includes-
    some 40 size trainer
    Skysport 4
    Enya 40 size
    ==-NO ACCESSORIES-==

you'd probably dont need any accessories- the people at the airfield have them.

Note that gas engines require U to get fuel every so often, so if ur planning to not spend anymore, get a electric. But where's the fun in that??? :stupid: :stupid:

It's all in the cash...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jettstar, I am in no way saying anyone has to do it just like I do. The airhog thing was being sarcastic, but wasn't that obvious I guess.

There is no need to spend a ton of money getting into the hobby. There have been many great ideas put forth here to get into the hobby. I just want him to realize there are ways of getting good equipt and not spend a fortune. Used equipt is good, building a kit is very easy and a good way to do it. Get the kit, build it while looking for an engine and radio, spads are cheap, but I don't know much about them, and a ton of other ways.

You do have to be realistic though. $50 for everything isn't going to happen unless you find someone with a soft heart to give you most of the stuff you need. Mow some lawns, wash some cars, earn some money, get some good equipt and you will enjoy a great hobby.
    Fly it till the wings come off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12