Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Starting a new glow motor

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Starting a new glow motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Starting a new glow motor

I have seen people say how hard it is to start a new glow motor..
What I do for the first couple of time when I do my bench break in's is I use a heat gun to warm up the motor prior to starting.. Then with glow plug removed I rotate motor a few turns with starter.. Then re- heat, install glow plug, and fire it up..
With it being already warmed up it turns easy and fires easy..
Just be careful not to cook any plastic or the fuel lines.. As I am
using a heat shrink gun it gets REAL hot.. I suppose a hair dryer would work but might take a little while longer..
Old 04-07-2002, 06:17 PM
f2racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why?

Two outta the three glow engines that I own were broken in in the winter with temps in the 30-40s. I never had a problem getting them started (even having them travel in the trunk of a car all the way out to my flying field). Just make sure they're primed properly and they start within a second or two with an electric starter.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Fastsky

Default motor starting

Charged 12 volt battery battery plus primed engine plus starter=instant start! No problem!
Old 04-10-2002, 12:44 AM
THE TAILBACKER

I have never heard of such a thing and frankly sounds like a waste of time. In the winter, I just start it up and let it idle for a couple minutes to warm it up before I dial it in. After I tune it up, refuel and good to go.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:07 AM
Merkur

i've had to do this allot with really hi-po nova-rossi and picco r/c car motors during initial break, and even for normal driving.

i figured with airplane engines being much lower in the displacement/hp ratio they would be more forgiving.

starting the nova-rossi in my mugen 1/8 scale racer is a NIGHTMARE until it warms up. unless i have a fully charged starter box, nice fresh fuel, good glow plug and a nice strong igniter; i'm in deep trouble.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:44 PM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Robby, thats going to get old. You need to learn to start w/o hairdryer bud. The old saying is: if its primed correctly with good fuel and glow plug you cant hardly keep a glow engine from starting!