Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Muffler on Super Tiger 45

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Muffler on Super Tiger 45

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM
bjfrankl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler on Super Tiger 45

Hello-

Has anyone had any problems with the muffler coming loose on the Super Tiger 45? It seems like I'm constantly tightening the muffler. I haven't had to do this on any of my other engines. It's a great engine otherwise.

Bjfrank
Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 PM
ianwynne

Default RE: Muffler on Super Tiger 45

Hello:

Are you using the Supertiger muffler gaskets? If you are using them, get rid of them and use RTV gasket cement.

Bye, Ian
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 AM
Kaos Rulz

Is the muffler coming loose at the engine, or is it coming loose and rotating on the header?
If loose at the engine, get rid of the gasket and use RTV as Ian suggested. If it's loose at the header, you may not be able to tighten down the slotted screw enough, therefore, replace it with a hex bolt and nut. You'll then be able to torque it properly.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

I put a Super Tigre .45 on my Escapade.I used a muffler off of an OS 46 FX engine instead of that big
ugly boat anchor.was not an exact fit.I had to drill out the holes 1 size bigger on the engine to get the bolts to line up on the muffler.
I still have the new ST .45 muffler,never used or put on.

Roy
Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
opjose

I don't have that particular engine, but I do have a bunch of SuperTigre's.

Put loc-tite on the muffler circle that plugs into the header, then locktite the retaining screw(s) as well.

Run the engine to warm it up, then tighten the retaining screws yet again.

Remember that as the engine gets warm, things expand, making the bolts and screws fit more loosely.... so it behooves you to tighten things up with the engine warm.
Also check the engine cap screws with the engine warm as well.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bjfrankl

Hello-

Has anyone had any problems with the muffler coming loose on the Super Tiger 45? It seems like I'm constantly tightening the muffler. I haven't had to do this on any of my other engines. It's a great engine otherwise.

Bjfrank
Way back before dirt, I planted a number of ST mufflers out in the fields. They never grew. As previously stated, throw those ST muffler gaskets away. Absolute Garbage. Never understand why Great "Pains" continues with such gross garbage. Maybe they just wish to keep newbies buying the high-priced spread, O.S. [sm=49_49.gif]

Anyway if you want to rid yourself of the problems, simply make new gaskets out of pop-can material. Easily done with some scissors and a sharp X-Acto #11, or just the X-Acto. I use same for head gaskets, rear cover gaskets, whatever needs a gasket. They don't have to be exact or "purty", just have the proper holes for the screws. Just crosscutting with X-acto and punching through with screw works OK. If you are a perfectionist, drill the holes before cutting the material. Then chunk the ST muffler screws into a box for future whatever, and retap the screw-holes to 6-32. Replace screws with 6-32 socket head for up to .75. Over that 8-32, and on up as you deem needed.
I have a number of ST from the 1960s until several NIB china dolls. When one really gets used up, either keep the good parts for future or e-bay for same. Only ever had a couple that were really bad but looked new. They all came from eBay. [sm=confused.gif] [sm=biggrin.gif]