Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

CONTROL SURFACES AREA NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CONTROL SURFACES AREA NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Falcons Cuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONTROL SURFACES AREA NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Guys
i am in the process of building my 1/4th scale rc airplane which looks like a sig rascal and it is a high wing trainer and i am using a 33 cc chain saw gas engine with an 18*8 propeller and the goal of my project is to built an rc airplane which is quiet stable in the air and the control response will be nice but after completing the fuselage structure i am a little worried about the calculations of the control surface area on my rc airplane and what control surface area size would be better for a nice controll on my rc airplane
so guys please tell me that how do i calculate the control surface area on my rc airplane like ailerons,rudder,elevator etc
the specification of the airplane i am making are as follows
wing span 8 foots
wing width 18 inches
fuselage length 6 foots
gross weight 7 kg
wing loadings 18oz/sq foots (aprox)

Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: CONTROL SURFACES AREA NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A basic rule for getting control surfaces that will give good response and allow reasonable aerobatics would be to have the area ailerons be about 10%-15% of the total wing area, and the elevators to be 10%-15% of the total horizontal tail area. Rudder can be 15%-20% of the total vertical tail area. Of course, you can make them larger if you want the airplane to be able to perform more extreme aerobatics. Some of the 3-D type airplanes have ailerons in excess of 25% of the total wing area, and elevators in excess of 50% of the total horizontal tail area. Some of those types have a rudder that's 60%-75% of the total vertical tail area.

With any design, you must make compromises. If you have very large control surfaces, moderate maneuvering will require very little control throw, but will also be much more prone to flutter. Smaller surfaces will have less tendency to flutter, but will require more deflection. Also, you must design a little bit as to what "looks good".

One easy way to determine the size is to look at other models that have a similar performance envelope to what you want to do, and use areas and moments that are similar. You'll wind up with a plane that will fly quite well.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
icarus98

I personally would be rather careful answering questions of this nature particulary when you see where the question has come from, the statement that it is a "high wing" trainer and given it's dimensions.

Having just returned from Afganistan myself recently I can tell you that ceratin parties are interested in the uses of UAV type viechles, and judging from the size of this particular model in question it would be perfectly capable of carrying a high end photographic system on it, perhaps (and this is a big perhaps!) some type of weapons system....

I am by no means making assumptions into this particular post and request for information, but I would urge you all to be very careful about giving any kind of advice to people who may/may not be using this for other reasons.

R/C flying is an international brotherhood, and I embrace and understand that.....but when I see requests such as this, from areas very close to where I was, given what I have seen first hand......it puts a shiver up my spine - especially when the answer to such a request comes from a representative of a major R/C corporation.......

Now that last comment raises some very provacative questions doesn't it?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Falcons Cuz

hi
oh man how did you guess that i am making a drone but you are too much late that i have got all the informations about making a UVA and then i am going to crash it over to you and the thing i wat to say is that you are a pigs ass hole