Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

rx choice

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rx choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Rhilluk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx choice

Hi There

I'm making a come back in to the hobby (flying side) and Iam looking for an RX to go with my old 35mhz Futaba tx. Iwas looking at the Hitec HFS-06MT and was wondering if this is suitable for a .60 size glow model. All this 2.4ghz and 35mhz is too much, just want something to add to my model to get it flying. Cheers

Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: rx choice

That is a mini receiver and is intended for park flyer type planes

It has the range but don't know about the buss system

I'm assuming it was intended for the Optic line of transmitters as it is a 6 channel
Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Electron is the Standard 6 channel 35 mhz receiver for the 40-60 size planes £32.99 You want negative shift for a futaba ad you will also need the correct electron crystal for your channel

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/HTDC635...-p/htdc635.htm

http://www.rcaircraftmodels.co.uk/1990_1_2251140.html

http://www.javis.co.uk/index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=2
Old 08-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HFS-06MT is a fullrange (or extra long range as they call it) receiver. I have two that I use in smaller stuff (.10 and down) and it works very well.
The HFS-05 is more parkflyer stuff that one should be careful with, some come with a very short antenna wire.

For a .40-.60 sized plane there is no reason to save on every little gram though, so you might as well use something larger.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 AM
Rhilluk

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

The HFS-06MT is a fullrange (or extra long range as they call it) receiver. I have two that I use in smaller stuff (.10 and down) and it works very well.
The HFS-05 is more parkflyer stuff that one should be careful with, some come with a very short antenna wire.

For a .40-.60 sized plane there is no reason to save on every little gram though, so you might as well use something larger.

what would you reccomend?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Mr Cox

I only fly small stuff (.10 and below) so I shouldn't say too much, but from Hitec the Electron 6 sounds right.
You then get dual conversion, i.e. amplification and filtering is done in two steps which can be more resistant to external disturbance compared to the HFS-06 which is single conversion. I guess with the higher weight they can fit more and better electronics.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 AM
mike109

G'day

In Australia we fly on 36 megs but things are rapidly moving to 2.4 gig. I still use three 36 meg radios (all JR) but my receivers are mostly Hitec. I love the Electron 6. It is dual conversion and as result I have never had interference problems with my several Electron 6 receivers. They work well in quite large planes (I have one in a Kadet Senior) and also is quite small planes (I have recently removed one from a half size Dalaire Sportster (1.5 cc diesel engine)). I have several others in other models but I am not sure which models they are in. I also have a number of Hitec 8 channel receivers which are larger but which are also excellent receivers in models where the extra channels are needed and the large size is not a problem.

I have used Futaba receivers and had no problems with them either but I have had some problems with JR receivers. They work fine when they are new but they are not very tolerant to crash damage and need to be extremely well protected. The main problem with them is that they have a main circuit board with a small "daughter board" soldered at right angles to the main board. Any sort of trauma can cause the daughter board to bend and fracture the solder connections. The tracks are extremely fine and they can sometimes be repaired but sometimes the tracks lift and repair is not safe.

Go Hitec and you will be happy.

I also use mostly Hitec Servos too. Excellent range and extremely reliable.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rhilluk:

Let me add that any of the 2.4 GHz systems are doing just fine on the marketplace as well as in the field. I can comment on Spektrum because I own a DX6i as well as a DX7 and both do more than I am capable of making them do.

The Airtronics RDS8000 is another high-quality radio system in the 2.4GHz category, and are priced to sell.

Look them all over before making any decisions and pick one from the major manufacturers, Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum/JR, any of them will do you just fine.

CGr.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Rhilluk

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Let me add that any of the 2.4 GHz systems are doing just fine on the marketplace as well as in the field. I can comment on Spektrum because I own a DX6i as well as a DX7 and both do more than I am capable of making them do.

The Airtronics RDS8000 is another high-quality radio system in the 2.4GHz category, and are priced to sell.

Look them all over before making any decisions and pick one from the major manufacturers, Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum/JR, any of them will do you just fine.

CGr.
Would love to have a 2.4ghz system but money is the problem andI have a 35mhz tx, so it just seems logical to get a 35 mhz rx for the amount of flying Iwill do

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Mr Cox

Right choice, there is no need to change to 2.4GHz when you have all the over stuff already. Besides the 35MHz is getting more quite now when people are using the 2.4 instead...
Old 08-01-2010, 10:14 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, that's a good point. With the move to 2.4 GHz, a lot of our 72 MHz pilots are moving over too, which tends to free up some of the bandwidth for congestion on that frequency.

But, the one big advantage to 2.4 GHz is that the pilot does not really have to impound the transmitter or rely on frequency pins to fly safely.

Something to consider.

CGr.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhilluk

I'm making a come back in to the hobby (flying side) and I am looking for an RX to go with my old 35mhz Futaba tx.

First to answer your questions as the others have indicated do not use the Hitec parkie Rx's on your sixty sized airplane. Yes the Electron 6 is the one to use and is a wonderful Rx, I have just completed removing 23 of them so far but not because they are bad but because 2.4 is so much better.

You have just the one Tx? What Tx is it, a module type? If all you have is just the Tx it would be a terrible decision to spend money on a PPM Rx. You are at the perfect place to change over and if you don,t it,s certain you will regrete the decison later.

If your Futaba is a module type you may be able to convert it with both Futaba module or Hitec which is less expensive and has telemetry something non of the others have now. Also Hitec has had recent module/Rx packages that have been so inexpensive that the Rx's were cheaper than what I was paying for just PPM Rx's.

The advantages are many and some more subtle such as the freedom from the board. Something that has been a real eye opener for me is just how wonderful freedom from the board can be and never be under suspicion agine just because you are on on the same frequency of someone who crashed even though you are shut off and impounded.

For you to stick to PPM now would be a mistake and likely an expensive mistake in the long run.

John