Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ESC Problems...I think?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ESC Problems...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Problems...I think?

Need some help guys...I have an E Flite Tribute 3D profile with electrical problems...I think. Flew it the other day and all seemed fine except for the shorter flying time. I didn't think anything of it at that time until this afternoon. I went out to fly it again, but the motor (throttle) will not work. Everything else works, so I don't think it is in the rx. When I installed the battery; I did not get the "tones" that you usually get from the ESC. When throttling up; the motor is very erratic, but will never make a complete revolution. All it really does is twitch. It has an E Flite "package" in it - 4200KV motor, 15 AMP ESC (I think..label is two sided tape to the fuse and can not remember), and 850 Mah Thunder Power Lipo battery.

Do you think the ESC had a melt down the last time I flew it? If I did fry the ESC; should I go up to a 20 AMP ESC?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESC Problems...I think?

Sounds more like you have a bad solder connection or a broken lead/winding in the motor.

What's happening is one of the leads from the motor to the esc is open. And the motor is trying to run on only two of the leads or legs as they are called.

Check all your solder joints at the esc/motor connections. Look for a dull solder or dirty looking solder, that's a cold joint and it's not a good one. Easy fix if that is what you got, just resolder it. If they all look good, take a close look where the three leads/legs go into the motor. The leads/legs are a piece of heavy wire soldered to many tiny wires that make up the windings. All it takes there is again a bad solder joint, or just one broken tiny winding wire.

Only other possibility, is you over amp'd the motor and cooked it.[X(]

p.s. this is the awful sinking gas side of the forums, you will have better luck over on the electric side if you have any more problems.