Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do i control front landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do i control front landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 PM
massivek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i control front landing gear

How do i control front landing gear? i am flying a ARF UAV predator plane and installed a landing gear with a servo arm so then i attached a servo to control it. but since the plane has a vtail the channels are all filled up. i have a futaba 6 channel transmitter so the last two channels are open but are switches(flaps and gear). is there any way to control the landing gear or does it have to be stationary?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14031.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1481780  
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: How do i control front landing gear

Try this. set up a 100% mix from the rudder channel to channel 6. then plug the nose gear servo into channel 6. This assumes that your 6 channel radio supports a mix function. let us know what model of futaba transmitter you have. Someone will know how to do it if it is possible on your transmitter.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 PM
massivek

Futaba 6 ex-pcm
Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to use that same mix on my 10x.... i installed a rudder servo on the rear fuse (pull-pull), and kept the stock rudder servo and kept it for steering my nose gear...worked out great
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 AM
mclina

Maybe you can simplify things. Do you use rudder much while flying this bird? On my V-tail planes, I only used the rudder function for ground steering. Since the V-tail won't be needed for ground steering, you could make it all elevator, and just use your rudder channel to control the nose wheel. Eliminate the V-tail mix entirely.

That's a cool looking Predator.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
massivek

mclina i did what you said and it worked great. the only problem is that now the vtail is plugged into the elevator channel it does not function like a elevator. it functions like a rudder where both wings turn to the side. how do i fix this? i think theres a y connector that switches the servos so that the wings turn the correct way. where can i buy this and also is there another way to fix this?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM
mclina

I would put both servos on a Y harness. If possible, you would then have to move one pushrod to the opposite side of the servo arm, so that both elevators are moving in the same direction. If you can't move to the opposite side of the servo arm, you might need to use a servo reverser.

Or, could you just use one servo and a Y-shaped pushrod?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
massivek

Im working in a small amount of space so moving a servo may not work. hopefully youll be able to see why in the picture. i would rather buy a servo reverser but i dont know where to buy it.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM
massivek

here is the picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61741.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1482178  
Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Just flip the wrong servo 180 degrees in its hole, reinstall the arm back in the original position and it will be reversed. No need for a reverser, and the arm will still be inline with the control rod.

You'll just have to readjust the control rod length, after you flip the servo.

Easy as pie.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
mclina

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Just flip the wrong servo 180 degrees in its hole, reinstall the arm back in the original position and it will be reversed. No need for a reverser, and the arm will still be inline with the control rod.

You'll just have to readjust the control rod length, after you flip the servo.

Easy as pie.
No, that's not right. Is it? The direction of rotation of the servo arm is still the same if you spin the servo around. You need to move the control to the opposite side of the servo.

But there probably isn't room for that. I hate using gizmos like servo reversers, but this may be a time to use one. If these are standard, three-wire servos, you should be able to get a reverser from Tower.

Edit: Just replace your Y harness with one of these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFN2&P=7
Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 PM
massivek

Well i just did that and nothing changed so i guess i have to buy a servo reverser
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
massivek

I just got this it should work right?

http://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-AS200...1487755&sr=8-1
Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold on here. You have a V tail, the two servos have to be mixed to get the right movement. When performing the elevator function, they have to move in the same direction in the up and down plane, When performing the rudder function, the have to move in the the same direction in the side to side plane. For a control that uses both elevator and rudder, the movements are a combination of the two functions. There is no pure rudder servo movement, only a mix. The only mechanical way is a sliding servo tray, vintage 1960. Reversing Y harness isn't going to help, Changing servo arm to the other side isn't going to help.

You are going to need a RX channel for each servo, this includes the steering servo for the nose wheel. A 6 channel RX should do the trick depending on the mix ability of the TX. 1 throttle, 2 ailerons, two V-tail surfaces, and a steering servo. OR you can get by with 4 Channels and a mechanical setup, The elevator moves a sliding servo tray that has the rudder servo on it. You would just Y the rudder servo to the steering servo.

Go back and think your way through each control surface movement and what is going to happen with each stick movement.

Don