Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ready for second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ready for second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ready for second plane?

Don, The Skylark 56 is a good plane to transition to. You didn't mention what engine it has in it but just make sure you don't over-power it. It will definitely do more than your trainer. Many good options made on this thread, but a plane in hand might beat spending money on a new one.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Sbach342Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to tempt fate and fly my Revolver 70. Truly an amazing plane. I let one of the flight instructors at my club fine tune it and take her up for trimming. The instructor sure seemed to like it. We put two or three flights in on it. I let him take off and land the thing. Second day didn't go so well. I was flying alone and the engine stalled on a low pass over the runway. Our runway is on top of a hill surrounded by trees. Lost site of the plane over the hill. It ended up in a tree about 10 ft up. Minor damage basically just to the monokote. Repaired it that night (with incorrect monokote colors) and was back at the club the next day. I explained what happened and they fixed a problem with the low end needle setting. The plane flew flawlessly after they fixed the low end mixture. Took off and landed on my own. It's actually easier to fly than my trainer. This plain does exactly what you tell it to do...right or wrong. The trainer does tend to fight you cause it really just wants to fly level. Big step up from my trainer but I like the challenge. Damn this thing is fast and lands pretty fast too! Ordered monokote to match the colors of the plane so she'll look pretty again.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
speedair

Id go for something like a speed air 40 or if you want something realistick looking i would try the black horse models chipmunk 60 because they are strong and the landing gear is forward enough so it wont tip in
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Sbach342Guy

I've probably gotten a dozen or so flights on the Revolver 70" now. The engine is running flawlessly and landing is a breeze. Now I wish I hadn't waited so long to get this plane in the air. I've had the kit, engine, and servos needed since Christmas. Only thing I needed was a receiver which I ended up "borrowing" from the TREx 600. Should have borrowed that receiver sooner. The Revolver is just as much fun as the heli and quite a bit easier to keep in the air. I'm probably going to sell the heli now. I'm now considering picking up the Revolver 59" or the Reactor Bipe.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM
tness

Hey, Don, where do you fly? I see you're from Stewartstown. By the description of your flying site, I take it you fly with the PropBusters? If so, do you know Bob Snyder? He flies with us at Wing Dingers. Nice to hear about the revolver. I'm soon looking for my second plane and was looking at the Escapade, until I heard many complaints about it.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Sbach342Guy

tness,
I actually fly at a club in northern Maryland. RCMB is in Parkton which is only about 15 minutes away. They had a much nicer flying site than WingDingers. The RCMB club has an actual runway, covered viewing area, multiple benches, multiple tuning stands, and a couple of good sized enclosed buildings. They actually installed two new buildings in the last couple of weeks which will have heat over winter and A\C over summer. I've been to the WingDinger's field and the YARRC field. Never made it out to PropDuster's.

Don
Old 08-31-2010, 01:58 PM
tness

Yeah, I guess the one in Parkton is probably the closest to you there in Stewartstown. Just curious...it's always nice to know who in your area flies! Good luck with the Revolver!!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

Hangar 9 Pulse XT. They come in multiple sizes - 25, 40, 60, and 125. They look nice, hold-up well and fly great. I have a 40 size that's 4 years old and has somewhere between 400-450 flights on it. It's still going strong. Go to www.horizonhobby.com and seach for ''pulse xt'' for more information.

This was my first gas plane after learning to fly on an electric mini ultra stick.
Glad to see this since I'm already eying up a Pulse 60 as a 2nd plane once I have got what I need from my trainer (that being suitable 'flight skills').