Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

shock absorbing engine mounts

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

shock absorbing engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM
tripower222
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock absorbing engine mounts

Saito actually recommends using shock absorbing engine mounts on their FA-180 I was wondering if anyone has used shock mounts and is there a significant vibration improvement, and since the motor can move and the throttle cable is stationary does it mess with throttle setting especially at idle.

I guess the majority of shock absorbing is radially and the throttle action is for and aft maybe not much effect on throttle.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shock absorbing engine mounts

I have used them. Do not remember any effect on throttle.

It does look weird because you do not transmit vibration to the fuse but the engine shakes all over the place. They say it is quieter because the fuse acts like a sort of guitar body and amplifies sound. Not sure I ever heard a big difference. But I have never flown an engine that big.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 09-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the Dubro mounts and really like them. They will let the engine bounce around a slight amount, but they do a good job at what they are designed to do.In the event of a vertical landing, they offer some protection to the engine. The only issue I've had with them was on a plane with a Mag 70 four stroke. It was doing some strange things on take off when I would punch the throttle. The plane would pull to the right. Ifinally happened to be standing in the right spot when the plane was on the bench and saw what was happening. On hard acceleration, the engine was kicking a couple degrees to the right and down about a degree. I found that one of the aluminum spools was shorter that the rest and I was effectively setting on a chair with one short leg. It wasn't much, probably less than a 1/16" difference, but it was enough to cause a problem. Ireplaced the spool and all was well.

I've yet to try one of the mounts that require a nose ring on the engine. Those allow the engine to torque, but hold thecenter line. Any movement onthe Dubro will slightlyshift the center line.

Don
Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used several of them and they do work very well, some are better then others. So far the best I have found was the Jtec anti vibe but unless you are building the plane, mounting can be a slight problem due to how you have to counter sink the mounts into the fire wall. I mounted one on one of the CG Extras with a YS 1.40 and was in shock at how well it worked, zero vibration. I knew I was going to used one so I made the fire wall from thicker ply in advance. Hyde has a new one out that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I haven't tried one though so don't know how well it works. There are a lot of good ones out there right now.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the Hyde mounts with and without the noserings. They work extremely well in isolating the airframe from the vibration. I would not build a pattern plane without one. Pricey though, And if you need a nose ring the cowl needs to be strong enough to hold the nose ring no bolt on cowl.

Hyde does have some firm idle mounts that are a lot less money, these can be used without a nose ring. and at quite a bit of cost savings.

Another thing to remember about the hyde mounts is they are usually set at 6 1/8" or 6 3/8" from the thrust washer to the firewall.