Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mounting a switch/charging jack..

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mounting a switch/charging jack..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 PM
WWIIbirds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a switch/charging jack..

okay so I have all my servos connected and working and I understand how the jack works but I need to know how to install it, Do I have to cut off part of the fuselage? a picture would be great thanks. (Building a corsair by the way)

Also for my prop I want at the end of my blades to have a strip of yellow, do you paint that on or can I monokote it on??

Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 04:00 PM
WWIIbirds

Default RE: Mounting a switch/charging jack..

-
Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 PM
goirish

You will have to cut a opening in the fuselage to accept the switch. Make sure that you put it on the side away from the muffler. Use yellow paint. Monokote won't stay on at 15,000 rpms;
Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goirish is spot on. I use Rustoleum paint, it seems to stay on even after contact with longer grass. Just measure from the tip, and use a piece of masking tape to make the straight line. I did one with white in a wide strip, then red in the middle of it.
I used a pitts style muffler to get the exhaust out of the bottom of the cowl, you can see where I put the on/off switch and the charge jack. You start with a little hole, and make it big enough to fit the switch and jack. Make certain that there is absolutely no interference with the switch. That is, make sure that there is clearance all the way around the switch in both the on and the off position. F4U is on my "to do" list. [8D]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30006.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1495814  
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 PM
WWIIbirds

when your not using the charging cable does it just hang outside the plane?

And see if i can get all my questions in one thread lol, I bought a special exhaust so i wouldnt have to cut my engine cowling in a stupid way. but on my original exhaust it had a 'nipple' thing where one of the fuel lines from my fuel tank would go but with this new exhaust i have it doesnt have one so what do i do with the that fuel line?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK. So here's a picture of a mounted switch.

Another showing the inside with a switch on one side and a charge jack opposite.

Put the switch on the side opposite the exhaust to keep it cleaner.

Name:	Rp42494.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1495935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18370.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1495936  
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for futire reference if you are using stock side exhaust muffer, you would want to mount the switch/charging jack on the opposite side, that way they stay clean
Old 09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when your not using the charging cable does it just hang outside the plane?

The cable stays with the charger, you unplug the end of it from the jack. Its sleek that way.

Charlie is showing one of the EMS switch/charge jacks, I believe. They are very nice, and a lot less work. (But the pilot looks a little angry..)
Old 09-05-2010, 10:29 PM
WWIIbirds

OKAY! IT all makes sense now thanks! I just wished I would have done this before I covered it. umm if anyone has any idea about my exhaust/ fuel line problem please let me know!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bingo field

Charlie is showing one of the EMS switch/charge jacks, I believe. They are very nice, and a lot less work. (But the pilot looks a little angry..)
Yep. He's still mad that I drilled into his ankle.

ORIGINAL: WWIIbirds

And see if i can get all my questions in one thread lol, I bought a special exhaust so i wouldnt have to cut my engine cowling in a stupid way. but on my original exhaust it had a 'nipple' thing where one of the fuel lines from my fuel tank would go but with this new exhaust i have it doesnt have one so what do i do with the that fuel line?
The line from the muffler pressurizes the tank so the engine can draw it better. If you don't have that tap on the new muffler you'll probably need a seperate pump if you want reliable fuel feed in maneuvers.

You can plug it with a fill line plug or just replace the stopper with a two holer.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What Charlie is showing you is a stock, comes with a flight pack, switch that is mounted in a cool little mount sold through tower so you have a push/pull switch, they have a little plug in slot for the charge wire on the side. I use the bigger JR or ems switch but they are a bit bigger but have the charge wire built in. There is also a cool little charge receptacle made by Ernst sold through tower for the charge wire. If you use the little flight pack switch then most people just run the wire outside the plane through the wing saddle. The muffler without the breather/pressure nipple may be a Sullivan muffler and they require you to drill and tap a hole then screw in your own pressure nipple. Not sure if all of them are that way but the couple I have bought required it. Photos, how I mounted my JR switch, a mount like Charlie is using, a JR switch to see the size of them and how they have there built in chargong jack.

Name:	Da83479.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1495995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55911.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1495996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57354.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.0 KB