RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Is Spektrum worth it? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10087572-spektrum-worth.html)

w8ye 10-23-2010 04:16 PM

RE: Is Spektrum worth it?

There have been a lot of changes to the Spektrum recievers to get around the brown out problem of the original ones

cloudancer03 10-23-2010 04:40 PM

I adored my DX7 so much I sold it and went with futaba!I didnt particularly like spectrums unexpected lockout crashing 2 very expensive planes.but thats just me.the hitec looks good and has telemetry also but in the end I am a futaba kind of guy so my recommend is get a 8 or 10c futaba and enjoy years of confident flying.

John Taylor 10-23-2010 04:42 PM

I own a DX7 and also have an JR10SXII which I converted to DSM Spektrum 2.4 . Other than the one misshap this past summer with the 10SXII and loosing a plane, my DX7 has performed without any problems. Horizon gave my 10SXII a clean bill of health and I'll be putting it back into my next monster or Giant scale project. I'm also saving up for a DX8 I like the telemetry to monitor the airborn battery pack. John T

Prop_Washer2 10-23-2010 05:29 PM

JR will be dropping the DSM2 protocol soon, as too many problems cropped up at Joe Nall with DSM2. Multi level flying sites, and DSM2's inability to reject inteference. If your field is DSM2 friendly, then stick with it. My field is DSM2 friendly, albeit some strange crashes on 9503's, and 12x's, but overall not too bad. I sold my DX7 and 5 receivers and went with the Hitec A9. BIG Touch screen, Telemetry. built in power bus, and a ton of other advanced features at a great price. You'll be seeing more of them around as they were backordered for months.

JR and Spektrum will apparantly support DSM2 in the future but for how long. Cheap knock-off DSM2 receivers are on the market as well. One thread mentioned a guy in New Zealand, you might check it out. The Hitec Adaptive Frequency Hopping Scheme tested as one of the best against interference. Check out www.rcmodelreviews.com an interesting site. He will be doing a shootout withe the Spektrum DX8, Futaba 8 or 10 channel, and the Hitec Aurora 9. It should be a good review.

Be advised if a 2.4 video camera fires up, and is closer to your transmitter than your plane is, good luck with DSM2, get a trash bag ready. The Futaba scheme is very solid, and the Hitec has modified that somewhat. The site explains alot..good luck...!!!

blueapplepaste 10-23-2010 05:48 PM

This is a debate that will continue on forever so long as both companies are making radios. It's like Ford vs. Chevy. Each side has its die hard defenders. Fact is, your DX6i is a fine radio. It's what I have had for a few years now and haven't had a single problem whatsoever. Since you already have a Spektrum radio and gear, just stick with it. Save your money for more planes, or whatever else you want to spend it on.

The only reason I'd upgrade, is when my radio can't do all that I need/want it to. Until then, I'll keep on happily using my Spektrum.

BelAirBob 10-23-2010 06:34 PM

Every major brand radio is infinitely better than those 20 and 30 years ago, but we flew fine back then. Lot;s of radio problems but no internet to whine on....we just kept trying and flying.

Most all the 2.4 radios at my field are Spektrum and I have never seen a plane or heli crash at my field due to the radio. One guy did use a park flyer transmitter on a regular RC plane and of course, it lost range quick and flew away. Would that go in the equipment failure column?

Several of us fly Airtronics and the fewest fly Futaba 2.4. We are next to an Army base and again, no radio problems. Some people try to blame the radio for a crash, but usually, some other reason is the cause, such as forgetting to charge the battery, etc. The Spektrum radio has a model match function....I don;t think anyone else has that. We have had several crashes with the TX set to the wrong airplane....the downfall of computer radios...and is something that could not happen to Spektrum.

Someone above said that DSM2 will be abandoned for another technology in the future, but in another forum, someone produced a letter from JR, I think, that DSM2 is not going to be replaced. So believe what you want about any of this. I just do not see planes raining out of the sky and I doubt others really see that either.

bob

Phoenixangel 10-23-2010 07:49 PM

I have been using the DX6i for a while, it came with my P-51 pts. I am still using the 4 cell 1500 mah NiMh rx pack that came with it. It came with the 6 channel RX the 6200 actually.

This is the one that had all of the issues brownout lockout stuff.

The radio was recalled just after I got it, had it back in less then 2 weeks. It was really good service I got email updates on everything. I have never once had any issue with it. Everyone says use a 6v pack for the rx but the 4cell has been fine for me.

I think if you keep a close watch on your battery voltage under a load you will be fine, I have been. Once I NEED to go 2.4 I will be happy I have the DX6i.

That being said, until 72mhz becomes illegal or something I will continue to use it. Everyone going to 2.4 is just opening up my channel ;) I have a Futaba 6EXAP that has room for 2 more models. I can get a hitech 8 channel rx for a really nice price [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKYK3&P=0]$29.99[/link] this leaves me money for other fun stuff :D I have to save to get my planes and gear. This is my current saving project [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/72p-fs120ar.html]Merry Christmas ( I hope) [/link]

(edit was some tearuhbull speeling :p )

ka9fax 10-23-2010 08:32 PM

JR 9503 and a 9303 before that. I use it for gas, nitro and elec. I also use it indoors. I have not had a problem as of yet.
Tony

Warbird Joe 10-23-2010 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

This is the one that had all of the issues brownout lockout stuff.

The radio was recalled just after I got it, had it back in less then 2 weeks. It was really good service I got email updates on everything. I have never once had any issue with it. Everyone says use a 6v pack for the rx but the 4cell has been fine for me.

I think if you keep a close watch on your battery voltage under a load you will be fine, I have been. Once I NEED to go 2.4 I will be happy I have the DX6i.

Phoenxiangel, you are absolutely right. The big brown out issue has been resolved and found that it was caused from old batteries. I wish I could remember the magazine it was in, I want to say AMA's, but anyway it was found out why and taken care of. I have a DX7 and have been using the 4v 1500 mah and a 4v 600 mah (only for longer flights) Y'd to the receiver and a voltwatch. I have had absolutely no problems at all. You don't need a 6v until you get into the bigger planes and using all of those high torque/digital servos.

As has been pointed out this will go on forever and ever and ever. Pick what you are comfortable with and like yourself.

Joe

litterbug 10-23-2010 08:43 PM

I currently fly with the DX7.  Personally I have only had one problem with it, and it was because I was using a 4.8v rx pack.  The pack dropped a cell which meant it was only operating at 3.7v, which put it into a brown out.  Since then I only use 6v battery packs, because if they drop a cell without me knowing it, then I will still have 4.8v working for me.  I have many friends that fly with different radios and when they upgrade it is usually along the lines of what they are already flying with. (Mostly because they are used to it and dont like to change brands).  The LHS on the other hand mainly sells spektrum.

w8ye 10-23-2010 09:00 PM

I'm not so sure the analogy of residual voltage after loosing a cell would always be correct?

Aften times the bad cell gets a high internal resistance. The voltage may drop far lower than the remaining good cells so do not get a false sense of security with a 5 cell pack?

scooterinvegas 10-23-2010 09:01 PM

Most problems with DSM2 are user set-up / Rx battery problems. Just buy a controller and go fly.

CGRetired 10-23-2010 09:11 PM

I have to agree with you except for one thing... he already has a fine "controller".. he as the DX6i which is as good as you can get for the prie. He could easilly pay $500 for a different set, but what he would get is pretty much what he already has, but will be $500 poorer.

CGr.

cremation101 10-23-2010 11:46 PM

I agree with Phoenixangel, I will keep using my 72 Mhz until it dies or i get told I'm not allowed to use it at the field anymore.

rcflip 10-24-2010 01:42 AM

Depends how you want to crash, if you want to go down due to overheating buy Futaba, if you want lockouts buy JR/Spektrum... at the end of the day its up to you, but at the end of the day a crash is a crash. Of course you could be like me and ignore all the crap in forums and fly what you feel comfortable with.

nonstoprc 10-24-2010 02:19 AM

I have not observed overheating problem here in Central Texas for over 2 years with my futaba 2.4G 617 and 6014 receivers. Both types are installed per Futaba install guide and not exposed directly under sun.

rcflip 10-24-2010 03:26 AM

Lost a plane to an overheating problem, my fault, I dont think you understand me, all radios are good...

ira d 10-24-2010 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: rcflip

Depends how you want to crash, if you want to go down due to overheating buy Futaba, if you want lockouts buy JR/Spektrum... at the end of the day its up to you, but at the end of the day a crash is a crash. Of course you could be like me and ignore all the crap in forums and fly what you feel comfortable with.
Although Futaba has never admitted there was a heat problem it has been corrected on all receiversimported from the factorysince about the last quarter of 2008.
However whatever is going on with JR Spektrum has not been addressed or corrected so speaking for myself I would be kind of leary of useing JR Spektrum at
least on more expensiveplanes.

vasek 10-24-2010 04:59 AM

Has there been any problems with Hitec 2.4?
I've read about one crash due to faulty soldering in a A9 but nothing specific to a fault in design.

nonstoprc 10-24-2010 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: rcflip

Lost a plane to an overheating problem, my fault, I dont think you understand me, all radios are good...

The overheating problem associated with Futaba receivers are long gone. Crashes resulting of using the spectrum receivers have been seen as late as last month in my club.

"All radios are good"? Are you sure?

pmerritt 10-24-2010 06:14 AM

Ihaven't had the best of luck with Spektrum. My first DX5e and DX6i gave me hell. Here in Texas we have very high humidity and it got to the 8 individual terminals on the 4 individual batteries andmicroscopic corrosionon these connectionscaused loss of powe and loss of bind and loss of 2 airplanes with the Dx5e.The problemwas sporatic and didn't alwayshappen unless Iheld the radio just right.Same thing happened on my DX6i with two other planes leaving the field in trash sacks. They ran fine on the ground, range tested great, but depending on how I touched the battery cover on the back when Iwas holding the radio during flight, meant Ialways had to roll the batteries to make sure they were connecting good and worry like hell they would stay that way during flight. LHS told me to spray CorrosiveX in that area and it helped tremendously.
I upgraded to the DX7 though and have 12 planes on it. It worked great for a whileespecially with the "batterypack" type power supply, BUT, after turning off the last 3 planes after one flightto re-fuel, Ilost bind! 3 different planes, 3different batteries, 1 AR500, 2 AR6200s.They "re-bind" finebut after 3 different planes have done the same thing Idon't dare try to fly them.
Iwrote Spektrum overa week ago and have heard nothing so far. Looks like I won't be flying therest of the year at this rate! That is a MAJOR disadvantage to having all of ones planes on ONEradio - when it craps out, so does onesability to go flying! Ihad 2 old72's Tx'saround which Ichanged out two of my "beaters" back to FMjust to keep from going insane. Going back to slider adjustments, no exponential, no custom trimming makes me like 2.4 a whole lot more!
2.4 is pretty incredible but when it goes BAD...it REALLYgoes bad. Ihate to think Ihave over $800.00 paid into Spektrumwith nothing to do but sit on the couch and watchTexas beat the hell out of the Giants next week.WHATAMISAYING...... that's WAAAAY BETTER than flying?
Bottom line...keep an old 72mghtz setup(or two)around just in case!

Eplane65 10-24-2010 06:19 AM

I have two JR 9303 systems, one a dedicated 2.4 and the other a conversion. They are good radios and work well, but I hate the fact that they are not intuitive to program. If I were starting out today, I would definitely buy a Hitec Aurora 9. It's a beautiful radio, very ergonomic and easy to program.

CGRetired 10-24-2010 06:31 AM

We're back to ford vs. chevy. :eek:

Spektrum fixed the "lock out" issue long ago. Most people using them use the receivers with 6 volt packs.. end of problem.

I don't know anything about the "overheating" problem with Futaba, and as long as Futaba is not forthcoming about it, we will never know for sure. Meanwhile, there are a lot of people out there that are happy with their Futaba systems, as there are just as happy with their Spektrums and Hitec 2.4 systems.

For the original poster, you remember that? He has a Spektrum DX6i and is using it, but wants to look at the new Futaba radio. There is a saying... goes like this: If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

My suggestion is that until you really need to upgrade, then keep flying with what you have. Then, once ready, shop around for the best deal and get what you can afford. Everyone here has an opinion about their favorite. I happen to like Airtronics and Spektrum.

I started out with Airtronics because that's what my instructor had. It could just as well have been Futaba or JR, or Hitec.

Later, I bought the Spektrum because I was fascinated with the new (at the time) 2.4 GHz Spread Spectrum systems, bought the DX7 and never... never had any sort of a "lock out" issue, and I started out with their 4.8 volt packs. The key to this was keeping the battery charged and not allowing it to drop below the threshold that might cause the "lock out".

I've been totally happy with the DX7. I also bought a new DX6i because I wanted a second 2.4 GHz transmitter and I was perfectly happy with my DX7 so why switch brands!!!

Decide for yourself based on your needs and uses. All of the "big four" are great systems and do the job just fine.

CGr.

kiwibob72 10-24-2010 07:00 AM

For the original poster, and the point on which way to upgrade .... I guess there are a number of ways to look at it:

1: - If monies no object, get whatever high end Futuba or Specktrum/JR 2.4gig system you feel like, they are all good quality systems with positives and minus's, PERIOD!.
2: - If like some of us, your careful which way you spend your hard earned money, perhaps the best route would be either that new JR 11 channel 'transformer' looking thing, or even a Dx8, as then you can sell or buddy box your Dx6i (re friends flying your planes etc) as you'll not need to buy new receivers for all your existing DSM2 equipped aircraft, just re-bind and re-program them to the new TX (thus saving you some money).
3: - The other bonus, is that if you stay with Specktrum or JR, you won't need to re-understand the expo setups of a new brand, as I understand Futuba have differing levels of values to Specktrum/JR (expo etc), even more so when talking heli setups - like I fly. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I only have Specktrum, and was told that info second hand).

At the end of the day, you should be right with any of the leading brands high end units. I'd just take into account what is used at your club (if you belong to one), as they normally have a more common system that most folk normally use (buddy boxing deal again should you wish to help someone into the hobby), and at worst, it'll mean that specific brand should be better supported locally at the LHS level should/when you need it!

Myself, I run Specktrum with 6volts at the RX, and have NEVER had any issue's ...... yet I still like the look of some of the Futuba stuff have out now days. At the time I got my system, I just went with the one that ticked all the boxes that I had set for myself ...... to hell with that whole 'chev vs ford' mindset that someone mentioned, all it does when your totally focused on one thing is prevent you from looking at the wider picture that's going on around you ...... I guess that's why they call it tunnel vision, as all you end up seeing is that train light just prior to it smacking you upside the face at 100mph! (thus why I TRY to stay out of tunnels) ;)

Goran619 10-24-2010 07:20 AM

Thank you guys for all your input. I probably will just stick with Spektrum/JR until i do have an issue that is associated the with radio equipment. I do intend on upgrading my radio hopefully next year seeing as i need to install a governor on my heli and i need the extra channel. I was thinking about the JR 11X but i was worried about spending $700 on a radio that may be using an inferior technology. Was also planning on keeping my old dx6i just incase i have an issue with my new radio or it breaks, that way I'm not out until my radio is fixed.

I do have another question, I dont think the 11X has this, but I have noticed that there are some radios that have an air and a heli version what is the difference? Can the heli version work with planes? Once again thanks for all the input and suggestions.