RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Flying RC Planes " A hobby or Sport ? " (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10130759-flying-rc-planes-%22-hobby-sport-%22.html)

DenverJayhawk 11-12-2010 03:15 PM

RE: Flying RC Planes

i don't consider card playing, fishing, billiards, bowling, curling, or mini golf a sport. They are just fun things to do. Professional golfers that have to walk the course, I would consider athletes. But when folks get a cart each time they play a round, I don't think, IMO, it's sport or that they should be considered athletes.

ChuckW 11-12-2010 03:15 PM

Competitive stuff like pylon racing and aerobatics can definitely be considered sports. For me it is all just a hobby but that's just how I choose to keep it. You definitely do not nned to be in great shape to fly obviously but I do notice that my concentration and flying improves when I eat right and get more exercise.

Nitro777 11-12-2010 03:34 PM

IT IS A HOBBY.  Keeping the wife from knowing how much your hobby really cost...............that is an exhausting sport...FOR SURE:)

kiwibob72 11-12-2010 03:44 PM

I myself consider this a hobby .... as I do not compete against anyone, I just fly for my own personal love of flying, the same way I used to fly traction and stunt kites for use with either a buggy or doing aerobatic tricks.
I think the key point here is if you 'competing' or not, if not, your in the hobby element, once you try to beat someone in an competition with set rules and/or classes, then and only then are you flying for sport.
As for having to sweat, when was the last time you spotted an archer drowned in sweat ..... and that is one of the hardest and most skillful competitive sports to master (IMHO - and no, I don't partake in that sport)

Though the term "sport flying" by it's normal definition amuses me, as this is the hobby side of things IMO. So I have this simple question, is it just called "sport flying" to help ease the mind's of those of us who cannot abide the simple fact that for most of us this is really just a 'hobby', to which I feel it really is at that level?, as the only time I know of 'sport' happening in this hobby is in precision (F3), racing and/or 3D events etc.

Jim_Purcha 11-12-2010 03:55 PM

That was my high school's gym teachersopinion of bowling too! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

But I do curl. ..... SWEEP.....NOW.... HARDER ... HARDER... STOP!!!!

Jim

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
Which brings up the next question, the answer to which I have net yet figured out: If flying is a sport, does that make my fat ***** an athlete? :D

billd76 11-12-2010 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: nhulsey

IT IS A HOBBY. Keeping the wife from knowing how much your hobby really cost...............that is an exhausting sport...FOR SURE:)
HA!!HA!! Amen to that!!:D

goirish 11-12-2010 04:36 PM

Hey Bill, did you maiden that cub?

Lnewqban 11-12-2010 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Masonhornet

It's a hobby... I cant really define what a sport is, but I know one when I see one, and I'm sorry folks but flying model airplanes doesn't cut it. I'm sure most athletes would laugh their tails off if you tried to convince them otherwise.

I can't really define what a sport is either, but I know how hard it is:

1) To haul a 50cc plane in a small car.
2) To retrieve a plane that landed far away after a dead stick, especially among hostile horses.
3) To maintain the field in good shape (grass and installations).
4) To search for a dawned plane, just to find it on the top of a tall pine that is on the opposite side of a pond (using a canoe and having alligators around in mating season).

Moving sticks with our thumbs is not the only physical activity we do; at least most of us.

That may not be sport, but it isn't relaxing hobby either.

Jim Thomerson 11-12-2010 05:12 PM

If we are trying to convince a governmental entity to allow a flying field, etc, then it is a SPORT. They are not going to do much fo a hobby. I think sport has an element of competition included. I consider my building efforts as the hobby, and my competitive flying as the sport. In terms of selling model aviation to the general public, I think we will get better results talking sport rather than hobby.

GaryHarris 11-12-2010 05:25 PM

Never thought about it much.

wazzbat 11-12-2010 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: StevL

For me it's a hobby, keeping my mail orders from my wife.... now that's a sport :)

Steve
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif
That is very true. I like it. But I have given up because I work full time while my wife looks after the kids full time so she's home a lot more than me. I just cop the wrath when I get home now.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/drowning.gif

tonyob 11-12-2010 05:36 PM

The modeling association here in Australia has been trying to get RC classified as a sport for some time, this will help us greatly with getting access to places for flying fields, etc. But so far they've been unsuccessful, the fact that anyone can go to the local toy shop and pick up a cheap chinese helicopter for $30 or so means the more serious planes and helis get lumped in with the toys. Hopefully this will change in the future.

wazzbat 11-12-2010 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: nhulsey

IT IS A HOBBY. Keeping the wife from knowing how much your hobby really cost...............that is an exhausting sport...FOR SURE:)
This is also very true. I stash a bit of cash away now and then and when I go to buy anything my wife would not approve of, I use mostly cash but put a fraction on the card. That way when she checks the statements and asks why did I spend $20 at the LHSI can tell her I just had to buy a new Futaba radio set. It was at a really good price!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

I bought a new set of Ping i10 irons a couple of years back for $150.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Works every time. Till she finds out of course.

rambler53 11-12-2010 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: batdog

Does she always have to be right?
No, just give her 50% of your assets and then you're free to tell her she's wrong.
Really, she shouldn't spend this much time away from the stove and risk burning your dinner.

Define sport on Wikipedia and then define hobby.

lopflyers 11-12-2010 07:49 PM

Anybody that has being married for more than 10.......... MINUTES, know that the wife is always right, if you want some happiness, sanity and most important flying time.
So although I think building is a sport and flying is a hobby, I would not dare to contradict my partner.

p51Dpony 11-12-2010 09:32 PM

Great views all, but for me flying ends up being more relaxing than building though I love both.  After an afternoon of flying I'm always in a good mood and not bothered by anything, after a day of building I maintain a high level of irritability that I'm not proud of.

rambler53 11-12-2010 09:34 PM

Really? What are you building, a Dave Platt model?

tryingagain 11-12-2010 09:38 PM

We have had this debate up here for a while and have chosen to split sports (competetive, and athletic) from recreations. The debate does thrive however becauase although we agree fishing is generally a recreation you buy your gear at a sporting goods store. Many other such examples exist. Unfortunately like all arguments, based in semantics, coming to a concensus is almost impossible. All I can say is I enjoy both building and flying and at my skill level both can be highly stressful at times.:D

Oh and by the way most of us who have been married a while have realised as men we have 3 places and no, one of them is not the bedroom. They usually consist of, In the Way, In the Wrong and In the Doghouse. There may be some local variations.

I hope my wife doesn't see this.

Cheers

Gord

Gray Beard 11-12-2010 09:43 PM

Hobby for me.

rambler53 11-12-2010 09:45 PM

From time to time I bring up my low opinion of all women in general on this forum to balance out the delusional members that think otherwise. Janet Jackson sang What have you done for me lately. Tina Turner sang What's love got to do with it? Kanye West revised Ray Charles song, Gold Digger, and I find that song to be extremely accurate for the modern female, her values, and lifestyle. In no way does a woman enhance any pursuit a man chooses for himself. She has her hand in the till when you go buying, she complains when you're building and it's associated mess is always a fight, and who knows what she's doing when you leave to go flying, but it's isn't good.
It's a hobby, RC that is.

RCER88 11-12-2010 10:40 PM

Have you ever competed in a Club fun fly? If you have that makes flying a sport.

I have won prizes so that makes it a sport. Don't it?

Even doing spot landings for fun with other pilots at the field. A simple race.

Chasing after the dreaded downed airplane. Flying Combat even for fun. Playing follow te leader.

Sport. My vote.

hairy46 11-12-2010 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The way I see it, building is a hobby, flying is a sport.

Tell her, ''You can't buy a Polo Mallet at Sports Authority either. Does that mean Polo is not a sport?''

Which brings up the next question, the answer to which I have net yet figured out: If flying is a sport, does that make my fat ***** an athlete? :D
100% Agree! great point!

52larry52 11-12-2010 10:59 PM

"The only real sports are mountian climbing, bull fighting and automobile racing, everything else is just a game". Paraphrased quote from Ernest Hemmingway!!

tonyob 11-12-2010 11:31 PM

In no way does a woman enhance any pursuit a man chooses for himself.
Dude, you are missing out on a lot with that attitude.

rcguy59 11-12-2010 11:48 PM

I would have said hobby at one time. After trying to get out of the way of some retard's Avistar blasting through the pits at 60 mph inverted, I decided it's a sport, at least sometimes.