RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Flying RC Planes " A hobby or Sport ? " (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10130759-flying-rc-planes-%22-hobby-sport-%22.html)

kiwibob72 11-13-2010 12:24 AM

RE: Flying RC Planes

ORIGINAL: rambler53

............. In no way does a woman enhance any pursuit a man chooses for himself...........

Trust me, when I "choose" to have an 'intimate moment' ...... it's a hell of a lot better with a woman "enhancing" my specific choice at that specific moment in time that's for sure! ;)

HighPlains 11-13-2010 12:46 AM

Not really a sport for most since they don't compete, not a hobby anymore for most either since they only buy ARF's. Better described as an obsession.

vasek 11-13-2010 01:24 AM

ORIGINAL: RCER88

I have won prizes so that makes it a sport. Don't it?

Not really, i once won a prize for eating "too many" hotdogs. And I'm quite sure it wasn't a sports event! [X(]:D

on_your_six 11-13-2010 06:13 AM

Sport - 1. An active pastime; diversion; recreation. 2. A specific diversion, usually involving physical exercise and having a set form and body of rules; a game. 3 Light mockery; raillery; jest 4. A person known for the manner of his acceptance of the rules of a game or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.

So what is...
Horseback riding?
Indy Car Racing?
Shooting Clay Targets?
Fishing?
Boating?

Flying model airplanes can have all the necessary elements of being a sport. We have many forms of competition... as much as we crash, we get as much walking as hikers. Heft the 12volt marine battery out of my car and you will experience weight lifting. Starting some engines by hand will wear you out. Aerobatic flying can be just as artistic as ice skating. It is something that takes practice... and it gets you out of the house.

I like the notion of calling it a sport... why not a sport for older guys that can no longer run on worn out knees and replacement hips? There are a lot of activities purporting to be sports that involve less strenuous activity, so why can't we call it a sport????

Now I don't know if that will help win the mental gymnastics with your spouse, but you can try...

rambler53 11-13-2010 06:36 AM

It's 6:30 a.m. I'm loading my truck to go enjoy my sport with a bunch of friends this morning. We're missing a judge, and a rule book. We have no teams or pattern to fly, and some guys looks like they wear what they sleep in aside for a lot of CA glue stains on their shirt. I hope our flying won't be televised. We should run an ad on craigslist asking for a woman in a swimsuit if she can walk the front line with a round card each time someone crashes. That would resemble a sport or two.

I can't wait to get back home though and enjoy my hobby. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

combatpigg 11-13-2010 06:38 AM

Control line combat is like having big mad dogs going nuts at the end of 60 foot long, steel leashes. It's pretty sporty.

G.Barber 11-13-2010 08:29 AM

From time to time I bring up my low opinion of all women in general on this forum to balance out the delusional members that think otherwise. Janet Jackson sang What have you done for me lately. Tina Turner sang What's love got to do with it? Kanye West revised Ray Charles song, Gold Digger, and I find that song to be extremely accurate for the modern female, her values, and lifestyle. In no way does a woman enhance any pursuit a man chooses for himself. She has her hand in the till when you go buying, she complains when you're building and it's associated mess is always a fight, and who knows what she's doing when you leave to go flying, but it's isn't good.
It's a hobby, RC that is.
I understand (to a certain point) the above statement that was made, as I'm sure any guy can at times. However, after 12 years of marriage (mind you, I'm only 33) and two kids, I cannot imagine my life without her. Yes, she can be a pain in the *****. Yes, she limits my spending too much sometimes. Yes, we do fight from time-to-time as most-wait, ALL married couples do. I still wouldn't want to live without her.

I guess some woman or women must have torn that dude up a few times to feel that badly and have such low repect for women in general. I could see feeling that way toward ONE that destroyed your life, but not all of them. That's like saying all RC pilots are going to crash- wait, that one IS true... Any way, I think you all get my point...

My lovely wife NEVER complains when my bench is a mess, though she wishes I'd come to bed earlier sometimes [sm=wink_smile.gif], and what does she do when I'm flying? She's playing house or tea party with my 6 year old daughter- and that is GOOD!

My apologies to the guy who thinks women are no good, but I cannot imagine going through life with that negative attitude.

ovationdave 11-13-2010 09:08 AM

I agree. I have never been one to bash my wife at the office as the guys find out somone is getting married, and everyone starts in on the "its the biggest mistake of your life" routine. If that is the way they feel, I feel bad for them. I have been married for 20 years this October, and can't imagine it any other way. My wife is fine with me flying, building, and spending a wad of cash every year (we actually budget for it months ahead......and yes, she know how much $ I take with me) at the big Toledo Weak Signals R/C show. But I agree, your missing out on a lot.....and dinner is always on the table when I get back from a day of flying. Not to shabby. Its a hobby, and thats the way I like it!

Dave

landeck 11-13-2010 09:52 AM

I have been building and flying model airplanes for 57 years and married for 45 years. I can not imagine life without either one:). When someone asks me what my hobby is I say building and flying model airplanes. When someone asks me what sports I play, I say I used to play tennis but that I am not up to it physically anymore[:o]. While I like the notion of building as a hobby and flying as a sport, I just think the combination of the two as my hobby.

Bruce

SCALECRAFT 11-13-2010 10:10 AM

All wrong. Its therapy.

Steve

Luchnia 11-13-2010 10:54 AM

Sport = •an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

Hobby = •avocation: an auxiliary activity

Hmmm....RC flying requires physical exertion and competition at times and it is an auxiliary activity. I guess it can fall under both categories to a degree. Couldn't a sport be a hobby? Some play Tennis as thier hobby. Is playing horseshoes for fun a sport and could that not be a hobby as well? I think hobbies are more like Stamp collecting and things along those lines. Either way, hobby or sport RC flying is too cool! :D

ovationdave 11-13-2010 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

All wrong. Its therapy.

Steve

That I agree with. Its one outlet that I enjoy on a regular basis, where I can forget everything and focus on one thing that I enjoy. Good call!

Nitro777 11-13-2010 12:05 PM

Flying is some of the best therapy I get.  When I'm flying everything else (work, finances, politics, worries) go away.  I'll have to admit though, fishing barely beats flying for me.  The only reason why is that my wife loves fishing and she may be better at it than me.  She made me buy a bigger boat!!!!!!! but she has never made me buy a plane.........she gives me permission and I have no problem with that.....considering the fishing and boat circumstances.:) It's kinda a win win situation for me.  I love my hobbies!</p>

rambler53 11-13-2010 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: gabarber

I cannot imagine my life without her. Yes, she can be a pain in the *****. Yes, she limits my spending too much sometimes. Yes, we do fight from time-to-time .....
Hey guess what? You need an imagination!
If you can't make it without one, then that's your personal limitations, not mine.

JohnBuckner 11-13-2010 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: gabarber

From time to time I bring up my low opinion of all women in general on this forum to balance out the delusional members that think otherwise. Janet Jackson sang What have you done for me lately. Tina Turner sang What's love got to do with it? Kanye West revised Ray Charles song, Gold Digger, and I find that song to be extremely accurate for the modern female, her values, and lifestyle. In no way does a woman enhance any pursuit a man chooses for himself. She has her hand in the till when you go buying, she complains when you're building and it's associated mess is always a fight, and who knows what she's doing when you leave to go flying, but it's isn't good.
It's a hobby, RC that is.
I understand (to a certain point) the above statement that was made, as I'm sure any guy can at times. However, after 12 years of marriage (mind you, I'm only 33) and two kids, I cannot imagine my life without her. Yes, she can be a pain in the *****. Yes, she limits my spending too much sometimes. Yes, we do fight from time-to-time as most-wait, ALL married couples do. I still wouldn't want to live without her.

I guess some woman or women must have torn that dude up a few times to feel that badly and have such low repect for women in general. I could see feeling that way toward ONE that destroyed your life, but not all of them. That's like saying all RC pilots are going to crash- wait, that one IS true... Any way, I think you all get my point...

My lovely wife NEVER complains when my bench is a mess, though she wishes I'd come to bed earlier sometimes [sm=wink_smile.gif], and what does she do when I'm flying? She's playing house or tea party with my 6 year old daughter- and that is GOOD!

My apologies to the guy who thinks women are no good, but I cannot imagine going through life with that negative attitude.

Gabarber excellent well reasoned post, thank you. It was a tragedy when my wife predeceased me after reaching twentyfive wonderful years and I would have given anything to make it to fifty years. She was never a hindrence in any way to my Hobby/sport and participated in many ways.

If certain posters here feel that is "dillusional" then so be it and I do truly feel sorry for them.

John

G.Barber 11-13-2010 01:50 PM

Rambler-

Let's keep it friendly here.

I would also like to add that my wife does occasionally leave with the kids for the weekend and leaves me behind for "man-time". I do enjoy my time alone, but I start to miss my family (which, yes, includes my wife) after three to four days.

As far as my imagination goes, it is PLENTY creative, and needs no help.

I'm sorry you have a negative outlook on women as a whole- I too, have been scarred by a woman (and let's face it, what man hasn't been), but I choose to judge each woman individually, and not collectively. There are so many great women on this great planet that it would be sad to lump all the good ones in with a few bad ones.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Has anyone tried to retrieve a downed plane from a corn field with corn that is 8-10 feet tall? If so, you will agree that that gets the heart pounding and will make you sweat on an average summer day...

G.Barber 11-13-2010 01:54 PM

Thanks, John, it's always nice to have some back-up! :)

Lnewqban 11-13-2010 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Gabarber excellent well reasoned post, thank you.

If certain posters here feel that is ''dillusional'' then so be it and I do truly feel sorry for them.

John
I also liked Gabarber's post about women's approach to us and our hobby-sport, my case is very similar to his.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I also understand rambler53's post, the older we get, the best are our chances to be kicked by life (At 50 I see things very different than when I was 33).

I could add that women in general, and marriage in particular, are very similar to aeromodelling and RC flying: it is a hobby and a sport at the same time, only that more intense.

At least for me, they have been addictive and exciting, and frustrating and deceiving, but I like to have at least one around me.:)

Like airplanes, some fly better than others, some are pretty and some are not, some are heavy and some can be nice; but at the end of a flying day, is the skill of the pilot what determines the quality of the flight.

kiwibob72 11-13-2010 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

All wrong. Its therapy.

Steve

Well put Steve!!!! ............ kinda miffed I didn't think of it!

bevar 11-13-2010 03:36 PM

If R/C was a sport...there would not be so many fat, out of shape tubs of goo partaking in it.

It's a hobby...

Beave

ORIGINAL: RCKen

As Minnflyer said,it's both. I think of it the same way, building is the hobby and flying is the sport.

Not known to too many people, but RC Flying is on the list of recognized sports that are eligible for compitition in the Olympics. While they don't have it as part of the current Olympic competitions, they could add it at a future date. Shooting events are in the Olympics and considered sport, just like RC Flying is.

Ken

G.Barber 11-13-2010 03:53 PM

Careful now, I resemble that remark about the goo tub... :D

ovationdave 11-13-2010 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: bevar

If R/C was a sport...there would not be so many fat, out of shape tubs of goo partaking in it.

It's a hobby...

Beave

As a participating tub of goo myself, I have to agree. My sport is racquetball....my hobby is building and flying. I just need to play more racquetball [:o]

~D

bevar 11-13-2010 06:20 PM

I'm about 1 potato chip away from a full on nuclear detonation so I too share your pain!

Beave :D

batdog 11-13-2010 06:49 PM

I have enjoyed this thread and appreciate everyones interest. I still think its a hobby and a sport. I don't agree with RAMBLER with his opinion of women. I love Women  Batdog

cloudancer03 11-13-2010 06:50 PM

now you guys sound like beer drinking slobs di secting a perfectly good hobby.the guys wife IS RIGHT!!!!!