RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   first glow kit plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10426621-first-glow-kit-plane.html)

flyingaardvark 03-27-2011 02:48 PM

first glow kit plane

I'm not a beginner when it comes to flying, but i am when it comes to building. Does anyone knowofa good kit plane for my needs?

flyingaardvark 03-27-2011 02:49 PM

RE: first glow kit plane

forgot to mention im looking for a .60 to .90 size plane.

mike109 03-27-2011 02:57 PM

G'day
How about the Sig Four Star 60. (The plane in my avatar to the left is one.). They fly well, are very easy to build and are not too expensive though they do need quite a bit of covering material. Mine has a Saito 100. When originally built it had a Saito 72 which was also fine. Super Tigre 90 works well too of you want raw power.

The instructions are great, the plan too is excellent. Sig kits are a very good place to start.

http://www.sigmfg.com

I am currently waiting for the delivery of a Sig Somethin' Extra; a great little plane to have fun building and flying. I think mine will end up powered by a Saito 62 (my favourite engine of the moment).

Cheers

Mike in Oz

CGRetired 03-27-2011 03:09 PM

Great choice... add the Goldberg Tiger 60 to that. Great flying plane and a great starter kit.

CGr.

MinnFlyer 03-28-2011 06:24 AM

If you like a good aerobat, the Goldberg Chipmunk is a winner!

turboratt89 03-28-2011 07:59 AM

or a goldberg cub is allso a great kit
really anything from goldberg is a great way for a first build

twostroke 03-28-2011 09:52 AM

Just make sure it is a laser cut the fit is much better that the die cut(crush) kits..[:'(]

ChuckW 03-28-2011 10:52 AM

I know you have some flying experience but what types of airplanes are you comfortable flying now? If you are just coming off a trainer then something like the 4-Star or Tiger would be best. If you are into more advanced flying then maybe a Sig Somthing Extra, Goldberg Chipmunk or Great Planes Super Sportster might be good.

Even if you are a very advanced pilot I would steer clear of most warbirds and scale airplanes as a first kit. Do soemthing a little simpler first to learn the basic techniques.

foodstick 03-28-2011 11:41 AM

You might check Bruce Tharpes site, I think he designed the 4 star series of kits...

http://www.btemodels.com/

CGRetired 03-28-2011 01:55 PM

I was going to recommend the Sig Something Extra, but I don't know if that comes in a 60 size or not.

CGr.

RCKen 03-28-2011 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I was going to recommend the Sig Something Extra, but I don't know if that comes in a 60 size or not.

CGr.

No, it only comes in a 40 sized plane.

Ken

flyingaardvark 03-28-2011 02:13 PM

thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I haven't had a chance to look at all of your recommendations yet but i will post what i'm leaning towards.<div>
</div><div>Chuckw,</div><div>  as for flying experience i have flown planes like a big stick, hangar9 pts mustang, and a p-47 from top flite (i got it secondhand).  So far they are all still intact and in flying condition.</div><div>
</div>

flyingaardvark 03-28-2011 02:21 PM

also, my neighbor offered to sell me a sig kougar kit for $20.  he's had it for a few years but the kit still looks good.  I plan on buying it from him but would that be the first thing to build or should i get something else?<div>
</div>

CGRetired 03-28-2011 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

CGr.

No, it only comes in a 40 sized plane.

Ken
Darn... Ok. If it did, I'd have one on order today!!

Thanks, Ken.

CGr.

kerwin50 03-28-2011 07:59 PM

eagle build the kougar

OzMo 03-28-2011 08:06 PM

"Build the Kougar" +1
Sig makes great kits with good building instructions. Thats a VERY nice offer from your neighbor by the way.

Teachu2 03-28-2011 08:14 PM

Avoid the Bruce Tharpe Enterprises Venture 60 - it should be the kit you discover AFTER you've suffered through all the others. If you build a Venture first, it will leave you disappointed with nearly every other kit on the market. And it flies great, too!

foodstick 03-29-2011 08:43 AM

Nice curveball teachu2 :D

I glanced quick at your post and thought he doesn't like it?

Then I realized you mean't it was so good you would be spoiled..I admit it..you got me ! ;)

Lone Star Charles 03-29-2011 08:46 AM

The BTE Venture 60 has been out of stock for months, maybe more. Suggest the Sig 4 Star 60 (if it's in stock).

Sounds like a joke I once heard about breakfast. "If we had any ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had any eggs."

CGRetired 03-29-2011 09:12 AM

You guys.. get hopes up only to find that they are out of stock!!! [:o] :D

Just kidding. I wonder whey they will re-stock them. Looks like a pretty nice plane.

CGr.

ChuckW 03-29-2011 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

CGr.
o, it only comes in a 40 sized plane.

Ken
Darn... Ok. If it did, I'd have one on order today!!

Thanks, Ken.

CGr.
Iforgot that he mentioned .60 size. The idea of a larger SSE is kind of cool though. Sounds like Sig might be doing some more things lately, maybe that would be a good one in the future?