RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Going from heli to plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/10447622-going-heli-plane.html)

opjose 04-10-2011 07:38 AM

RE: Going from heli to plane

ORIGINAL: kyle 9

;)Hey um i really dont know if i would want to get that one! i know your trying to help and i do appreciate all the help but i really hate the looks of the giant big stick [:o]. i know looks dont mean everything, but i would need to get one kinda scale looking if i wanted to try planes!

Ah, Young Grasshopper....

I thought the same until I flew one....

Now my Big Stik has won me several Fun Fly's....

"Don't dis the stik"

It's called an "ugly stik" for a reason, but not because of the way it flies.

For your needs, it should be at the TOP of your list!

As the saying goes "Everyone should have a Stik!".

DenverJayhawk 04-10-2011 12:36 PM

Kyle - listen to Opjose. There's a reason the stik has been in continuous production since the 1960s. And once you fly one and then have to do repairs, you'll understand what he means by "everyone should have a stik at least once".

kyle 9 04-12-2011 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

Kyle - listen to Opjose. There's a reason the stik has been in continuous production since the 1960s. And once you fly one and then have to do repairs, you'll understand what he means by ''everyone should have a stik at least once''.
Okay okay I'll think about it! But Im still not sure! I'm starting to really like the looks of the pulse 60 or 125 I think that would be the plane I get!
I was just wondering for engines I was looking at the saito Golden Knight engines like in the stock picture of the pulse 60 on horizon hobby's website. I wish that the engine could be hidden in the cowl of the plane, making it more scale looking. Im starting to like the looks of the black and gold engine, the thing I don't is the exhaust mounted on the top side... I was wondering for anyone who has one of these planes, is it possibly to get the exhaust mounted on the bottom, or having less engine show out the cowl.
And how are saito engines? Are they good?

BarracudaHockey 04-12-2011 10:14 AM

Saito engines are great

kyle 9 04-12-2011 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Saito engines are great
Oh okay great! And they look great too! Do you know anything about mouting it or the exhaust on the bottom?

Also servos.... What servo size do I need to the pulse 60 and also the pulse 125? I know from helis I would most likely get JR servos, do they make good ones for this size plane? Or whAt servos would you recommend?
I have a DX6i, but what would be a good spectrum receiver for this type of plane?

opjose 04-12-2011 10:52 AM

Novices ( and yes you qualify ) get their panties in a knot over the "looks" of a plane.

Try to get over this. Ultimately it is how it flies for you that is important.

Others have tried inverting the engines in these planes, but the results are far less than stellar.

IMHO you are focused on the wrong thing.

Buy a plane ( and if necessary another cowl for later ) and learn to fly it W/O a cowl...

Once you are as confident as you are with Helis on the plane, which should happen quickly in your case, worry about how the planes look.

That spare cowl can be used to change the engine mounting later or go electric...

-

Re: Servos

The Pulse 60 can do with standard - medium torque servos all around. The 120 is better off with medium to high torque servos all around.

In this size range I use cheapie but high torque $8.00/ea SG5010 servos @ 133oz/in torque. I've never had one fail with hundreds in use.

Re: Receiver

Any 5 or 6 channel DSM2 full range receiver will suffice.... though I'd go 5 for the 60 and 6 for the 1.20...

I'd avoid the 4 channel in case you ever want to put each aileron on a separate channel.

But I'll take you back to the Stik... it's better suited to your needs.

It's trike gear will help you through the heli-pilot tendancies to thrust the plane onto the ground...

It also will not yaw on run-up in a way unfamiliar to you.

The engine is accessible helping you get through plane versus heli tuning...

A Stik handles better in windows than the Pulse or Escapade... easier to repair, etc. etc. etc.

kiwibob72 04-12-2011 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: kyle 9 ......................... I'm starting to really like the looks of the pulse 60 or 125 I think that would be the plane I get! .............. I wish that the engine could be hidden in the cowl of the plane, making it more scale looking. ...................
Side mount the motor, so you don't have that ugly great thing stuck up through the canopy where it ruins the lines, it's what I intend on doing, and what a few have done already (there is a specific Pluse XT forum for each size in RCU where folk have done the side mount thing with success - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8922593/tm.htm - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7013268/tm.htm )

kyle 9 04-25-2011 06:55 PM

Okay one more plane i was looking at:

What do you guys think of the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS II ?
or since i have a DX6i already, what about the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang 40 sport? (its pretty much the exact same just without the engine and with retracts? since i already have a transmitter)

thanks! and i promise thats the last question!

just cause tomorrow is my last exam than summer vactation so im starting to figure out plane... or new heli ;) but d-day is coming up hopefully in May and i would love to know well ahead :D.... if only i had the $$ to get both [&o]

Insanemoondoggie 04-26-2011 03:15 AM

If you have just been hovering around with your CP Heli then the P51 well probably work for you, but if you have been doing 3D you'll find your self getting bored with the plane fast.
I've trained 2 Heli pilots and both had the PTS Mustang, after the first few buddy box flights, both ended up training with my LT40. Both were awesome Heli pilots, but it took them some time to get use to flying on the wing and not a rotor.
Go with the UglyStick for now, buy a decent motor that you can use in your next plane. After you master the Stick, you'll have a better idea of what type of flying your going to get into.

ORIGINAL: kyle 9

Okay one more plane i was looking at:

What do you guys think of the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS II ?
or since i have a DX6i already, what about the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang 40 sport? (its pretty much the exact same just without the engine and with retracts? since i already have a transmitter)

thanks! and i promise thats the last question!

just cause tomorrow is my last exam than summer vactation so im starting to figure out plane... or new heli ;) but d-day is coming up hopefully in May and i would love to know well ahead :D.... if only i had the $$ to get both [&o]

kerwin50 04-26-2011 04:16 AM

My brother bought H-9's 40 size p-51 thinking it's the same plane just retract ready.
The landing gear is held on by plastic blocks that break real easy on a hard landing, what really stinks is you got to but the landing gear set just to replace a plastic block.

CGRetired 04-26-2011 04:24 AM

what really stinks is you got to but the landing gear set just to replace a plastic block.

could you say that one more time? I am interested in what you are saying, but the last part got left out.

Thanks.

CGr.

ATVAlliance 04-26-2011 05:21 AM

I thought (still think) that Stiks are pretty ugly.  But they sure do fly nice!  Im still new (just started back in the hobby last year after about a 12 or so year layoff) and went from my 40 size trainer to the Stik.  I have 2 actually, an EP Mini Ultra Stik and a 60 Ultra Stik (I prefer the taildragger...makes it look, well less "Ugly" lol).

After flying the things...they have somehow become less "ugly" on their own.  I think that if I could only afford one plane (Lord forbid!!!), it would definitely be a Stik.

just my .02's

spog1 04-27-2011 04:41 AM

If you have very good "sim discipline", you should be able to buy any plane you want. 100 sim hours will allow you to fly anything with confidence. My first plane was a sig kougar with a piped os 50sx, never been crashed. It was so easy to fly after many sim hours, piece of cake. The whole "training" step can be completely bypassed.

DenverJayhawk 04-27-2011 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kyle - beauty is subjective. I personally think this looks great. And as Opjose said, it's about how it flies. My criteria is a plane that is as low maintenance as possible. Enter exhibit A:

Big Stik 60 with an OS 95AX. This thing will fly circles around a Pulse 60 or Escapade 60. Simple to repair and will pull vertical like the space shuttle.

corch 04-27-2011 06:30 PM

Another "stick" alternative:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXDTM8&P=0

This was my trainer. When you get bored with it, crank up the throws. This plane is by far the most popular at our field. We've got tail draggers, tuned pipe versions, and one guy even did a F-82 style mod. Get an OS 55, 5 standard servos

If you want a "sportier" plane, I'd go revolver. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXRWV9&P=7 Then you can canabalize you easy sport and you'll be all set:)

nitro wing 04-27-2011 06:55 PM

Decide on the size warbird you want..I do suggest 90-1.20 size or bigger

Buy the motor and servos that will be suitable to fly that warbird selection

Then buy a simpler low wing sport aircraft and use the engine and radio to fly it.

Once satisfied with the sport aircraft and engine performance/tuning procedures, swap everything into your chosen warbird

For example, purchase a H9 Funtana 125 with OS 120 or Saito or YS 110 and good servos
Enjoy the heck out of it, then transfer all gear into an Top Flite P47 1.20 size

Aquire aircraft that have been around for a bit, and have user and parts support.

If considering gasoline engines, please check into total weight, exhaust size and fitment to airplanes, prop clearance etc

In my opinion, I would likely use a glow engine 2 stroke or 4 stroke in a sub 70 inch plane.

I would also check around for a used low wing sport plane