RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   i have officially crossed over (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11194360-i-have-officially-crossed-over.html)

s7jstep1 08-15-2012 08:07 AM

i have officially crossed over

i have been into rc cars since 2006. i have about 7 or 8 cars that i run reguarly, mostly brushless lipo. but yesterday something interesting happened. i got a call for an add i had on craigslist. i was selling some old AM recievers, transmitters, and some other miscellaneous stuff because i upgraded to 2.4ghz and brushless. the guy picked out some things he wanted out of my box o' goodies, and was going to give me $30 for it all. i figured it was stuff i have had for years and never used so why not. then he asked "do you have anything you would want to trade for a plane?" then he said, ill trade you for the stuff i picked out. so i went to his house and he traded me a hobbico super cub in almost perfect condition for about $30 worth of stuff that i will probably never use. i would say thats a pretty good trade lol. my dad also has a supercub and it has been a good trainer for him. the one i got only appears to need rubber bands for the wings

BarracudaHockey 08-15-2012 08:22 AM

RE: i have officially crossed over

Welcome to the darkside, we have cookies :D

opjose 08-15-2012 08:55 AM

I'll go one further...

Once you've experienced the "real world" ( e.g. three dimensions ) you'll be bored by flatland....

Welcome Nemo!

Sherv 08-15-2012 09:04 AM

Yea I agree with Jose, I was into 1/5th scale Gas cars and 27cc 4 bolt gas engines... Nitro too and even a savage flux. Cars can be fun but air planes are much better. I love the switch and I'm not looking back.
My only gripe with an airplane is that any servo failure is pretty catastrophic compared to my 1/5th scale gas cars. I can cut the motor on my 1/5th scales anytime I want and it rolls to a stop but with an airplane if you are lucky you might be able to land but generally if you have a servo fail its pretty bad... Like an aileron servo fails at like full throw.. Dear god.

Mr67Stang 08-15-2012 09:05 AM

Yep, I started with Nitro buggies then onto AWD touring cars... I have one truck with a quarter inch of dust on it now and I'm not sure where I put the transmitter for it anymore...

s7jstep1 08-15-2012 09:09 AM

lol im definately looking forward to this new hobby. ill probably still run the cars on windy days or on the indoor track on stormy days. eventually (as with all rc vehicles) im sure on model will lead to a collection (and an angry girlfriend haha)

Mr67Stang 08-15-2012 09:12 AM

Angry girlfreinds are easyer to deal with than angry wives. <-best advice you will ever get on this forum.

Chucksolo69 08-15-2012 09:15 AM

I had nine RC cars at one time. I am now down to 3, two nitro, one electric. I now have 10 RC planes. I find RC planes more challenging and interesting as a hobby.

opjose 08-15-2012 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Sherv

Like an aileron servo fails at like full throw.. Dear god.

Heh, but one of the things I enjoy about this hobby is that there is ALWAYS drama at the airfield.... ( as long as no one is hurt or injured! ).

Though thankfully last weekend's crash into the pavilion did not go fully through the roof beams! Whew!

It makes for great stories too.

reelquick 08-15-2012 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Angry girlfreinds are easyer to deal with than angry wives. <-best advice you will ever get on this forum.

Thank you ...I`m in tears over here.:D.

Sherv 08-15-2012 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: Sherv

Like an aileron servo fails at like full throw.. Dear god.

Heh, but one of the things I enjoy about this hobby is that there is ALWAYS drama at the airfield.... ( as long as no one is hurt or injured! ).

Though thankfully last weekend's crash into the pavilion did not go fully through the roof beams! Whew!

It makes for great stories too.
Yea I think we were both there when it happened... too many crashes that day lol (me included)! I felt so bad for the pilot. Someone needs to post a video of that crash on youtube!

s7jstep1 08-15-2012 10:31 PM

i know the main thing for me with this plane right now will be practice but as my skills develop, what are some common mods that people are doing to these planes to improve speed and/or runtime? im assuming brushless and lipo. i probably wont even be able to make it through a single battery without breaking something right now lol. im just curious. thanks

Sherv 08-16-2012 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

i know the main thing for me with this plane right now will be practice but as my skills develop, what are some common mods that people are doing to these planes to improve speed and/or runtime? im assuming brushless and lipo. i probably wont even be able to make it through a single battery without breaking something right now lol. im just curious. thanks
The right propeller, brushless motor size/kV/cels supported, and the right cel/capacity/weight battery can improve run significantly. Thing is with air planes i think the flying style is the biggest way to conserve batteries. For example my sport glider, axn floater jet, could go 70 miles or so full throttle and get around 5-8 minutes doing aerobatics and high speed passes but when I feel like gliding and catching thermals with the same battery I got 20min out of it once.

lopflyers 08-16-2012 05:21 AM

Yipiiii, welcome. Now you are going to realize how boring cars are. Join a club, as someone said before there is a lot of drama. It's fun :)

joebahl 08-16-2012 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Yipiiii, welcome. Now you are going to realize how boring cars are. Join a club, as someone said before there is a lot of drama. It's fun :)
Of cource there is never any drama at the rc car tracks . lmao :D joe

klord125 08-16-2012 07:07 AM

S7jstep1 welcome.. Just make sure you join a local club and get some help and guidance learning to fly or its going to get pretty frastrating fast. There is nothing better than having someone teach and show you the proper ways. It makes the learning cure a lot shorter and less painful when you can learn from other peoples past mistakes and exsperiences. Just my .02

Luchnia 08-16-2012 08:58 AM

It is definitely a lot of fun and rarely, if ever, boring. One of the cool things about planes is if you even think you are bored you can up the ante and complexity by moving up in another area of flight.

One thing I like to do is challenge myself each time out. I sort of have my own personal grudge match against myself attempting something that I have been thinking about during the week. For instance, I may try to see how long and how smooth I can do a roll and at different speeds. I may set up orange cones at each end of the field and practice approachs no more than two wingspans apart. You can practice long takeoffs and landings or very low speed passes. There are hundreds of things you can do.

You can get very creative with planes and should always be challenged. I have not found a dull moment in three years of flying and hundreds upon hundreds of flights unless I was just not feeling well.

Enjoy!

rgburrill 08-16-2012 09:22 AM

i have been into rc cars since 2006. i have about 7 or 8 cars that i run reguarly, mostly brushless lipo. but yesterday something interesting happened. i got a call for an add i had on craigslist. i was selling some old AM recievers, transmitters, and some other miscellaneous stuff because i upgraded to 2.4ghz and brushless. the guy picked out some things he wanted out of my box o' goodies, and was going to give me $30 for it all. i figured it was stuff i have had for years and never used so why not. then he asked "do you have anything you would want to trade for a plane?" then he said, ill trade you for the stuff i picked out. so i went to his house and he traded me a hobbico super cub in almost perfect condition for about $30 worth of stuff that i will probably never use. i would say thats a pretty good trade lol. my dad also has a supercub and it has been a good trainer for him. the one i got only appears to need rubber bands for the wings
AM receivers? Where did you get AM receivers since 2006?
And Hobbico Super Cubs don't use rubber bands. They are foamies and are screwed in. Maybe the CUB isn't the only thing that's screwed.

ATVAlliance 08-16-2012 10:54 AM

(as with all rc vehicles) im sure on model will lead to a collection (and an angry girlfriend haha)

Just remember...its ALWAYSeasier to ask for forgiveness...rather than permission! ;)

s7jstep1 08-16-2012 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

i have been into rc cars since 2006. i have about 7 or 8 cars that i run reguarly, mostly brushless lipo. but yesterday something interesting happened. i got a call for an add i had on craigslist. i was selling some old AM recievers, transmitters, and some other miscellaneous stuff because i upgraded to 2.4ghz and brushless. the guy picked out some things he wanted out of my box o' goodies, and was going to give me $30 for it all. i figured it was stuff i have had for years and never used so why not. then he asked ''do you have anything you would want to trade for a plane?'' then he said, ill trade you for the stuff i picked out. so i went to his house and he traded me a hobbico super cub in almost perfect condition for about $30 worth of stuff that i will probably never use. i would say thats a pretty good trade lol. my dad also has a supercub and it has been a good trainer for him. the one i got only appears to need rubber bands for the wings
AM receivers? Where did you get AM receivers since 2006?
And Hobbico Super Cubs don't use rubber bands. They are foamies and are screwed in. Maybe the CUB isn't the only thing that's screwed.
My bad, it a hobby zone super cub. The am receivers were from my cars before I upgraded to 2.4 ghz.

s7jstep1 09-28-2012 01:11 PM

My first flight went well. I flew the entire duration of the battery pack and had a perfect crash landing in the grass lol. I'm going to get some more batteries so I can fly longer than 10min. I don't want to have to buy batteries twice so I'm going to get some lipo packs.

t-max97 10-03-2012 08:34 PM

I also just made the switch, I got the same plane you have a few months ago and now i have two .40 trainers, I got very bored with cars.

s7jstep1 10-04-2012 11:43 AM

do i need to get a new esc to run 3s lipos on the cub?

dignlivn 10-04-2012 12:59 PM

+1

Welcome, Take off's are optional,

Bob

ARUP 10-04-2012 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: reelquick

Thank you ...I`m in tears over here.:D.
Same here! Better yet, have a bunch of angry girlfriends then let 'em have at each other (over you)! Win, win! lol Welcome aboard, the cookies are great and there might be cool-aide, later!