RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Lanyu trainer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11232621-lanyu-trainer.html)

edbu1 09-18-2012 11:23 AM

Lanyu trainer

Came across the Lanyu Happy Time trainer on the BP Hobbies web site. Can't find out much about it. Anyone fly one of these? Would like to know the quality of the ARF and the performance as a trainer. Am considering using it to flight train others.

CGRetired 09-21-2012 04:17 AM

RE: Lanyu trainer

Well, it looks like a trainer, has all the right numbers, and is priced right. I would definitely use an OS engine on this. I didn't see any numbers on weight. The LA might work out fine, but I prefer the AX. That little added power will come in handy at some point in the aircraft's life.

CGr.

edbu1 09-21-2012 07:55 AM

I ended up actually purchaing this from my LHS. The parts look fine, as far as construction. Typical wood ARF with plastic film, though I don't know if the film is covering you can work with when patches may be needed. The hardware, in particular the wire used for pushrods, seemed weak. I think I would use standard threaded pushrod wire. As supplied, the pushrod would not be adjustable at the rudder or elevator end, but only at the servo end using a set screw. The airplane has a semi-symmetrical wing and appears to be very similar to the Avistar. The Chinese translation into English is hilarious. For this reason I do not recommend it as an airplane to purchase for a newbie to put together. The airplane is more suited for an experienced RC pilot to put together and use to train others.

After further research, I ended up returning the Lanyu Happy Time to the LHS and purchasing the Hobbico Superstar. I prefer a flat bottom wing to use for training, and the hardware is much better. Manual is very thorough. The Superstar is suitable for a newbie to assemble, no question.

LouisB 09-21-2012 08:13 AM

Here in South Africa we have a lot of Lanyu stuff. Price is OK, it looks good and that is about where it ends for the normal checkbook pilot. If you're prepared to change most of the hardware and drip some wood glue along the joints, these Lanyu stuff ain't too bad considering what you paid for it.

CGRetired 09-21-2012 08:14 AM

I cannot fault your overall choice. I have the Superstar as a club trainer and it works out just fine. Mine has an OS .46 AX and uses a Spektrum DX6i radio and Airtronics servos. I used the woodend dowel pushrods with "EZ links" on the wire end and threaded clevis's on the other end.

Most of the time, small patches can be done using one of the many types of covering. It usually comes down to matching colors, if you are that fussy. For a trainer that will most likely get banged around a bit, well, I don't watch the color all that much, as long as it's "pretty close". ;)

CGr.