RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   weedeater plane idea scrapped next idea (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11247771-weedeater-plane-idea-scrapped-next-idea.html)

michael1963 10-01-2012 06:02 PM

weedeater plane idea scrapped next idea

you guys knowlege convinced me out of the giant weedeater powered plane i still like the coro cub is it possible to make it a 1/2a .049 2 channelby reducing the dimensions or know of any 1/2a planes like cubs i have a .049

combatpigg 10-01-2012 06:29 PM

RE: weedeater plane idea scrapped next idea

I do not think that a good flying 1/2A plane can be made out of coroplast.
What is so hard about building a plane out of mostly 3/32" balsa wood that you KNOW will fly circles around any piece o'junk made from coroplast...?
A well built 1/2A trainer with 36 to 48 inches of span can have a RTF weight of 12 ounces or less. The result will be a very forgiving plane that is capable of rock solid flight and very slow speeds. They have very little inertia, so if something does go wrong and you crash into belt high grass these planes won't even hit the ground. They will sit there waiting to be picked up and either relaunched or taken back to the pits unscathed for troubleshooting. There is no other trainer like a lightly built "1/2A" trainer [either glow or electric].

countilaw 10-01-2012 06:59 PM

How much actual flying time do you have? Besides the simulator!!

Frank

jester_s1 10-02-2012 05:19 AM

I'm guessing you have a venturi engine with no throttle? That limits what you can do so much. As stated in your other thread, a .40 size glow powered trainer is hard to beat. I know you're trying to save money, but you are going about it the wrong way. If you put a plane in the air that you can't fly because it is too heavy or is cobbled together wrong or has the wrong engine on it, all you'll do is crash it. If something fails in flight because you cheaped out on a critical component all you'll do is crash it. The absolute cheapest way to do this hobby and actually enjoy it is to buy appropriate good quality equipment and take care of it so it lasts. If you're on a tight budget, have a look at the Multiplex Easy Star II or the Hobby Zone Super Cub. They are electric beginners' planes that are built to take a beating. They don't fly as nicely as a good balsa trainer, but they will get you in the air and let you have a good first experience in RC flight. And either will cost less than what you're planning on doing, even if you find good free plans on the internet for a plane to build.

kenh3497 10-02-2012 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

even if you find good free plans

I was once told "Sometimes free, is to expensive".

Ken

RCKen 10-02-2012 08:23 AM

In my opinion, this is one of the best buys around for those looking to get started in RC flying. <div>
</div><div>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CXF4**&amp;P=7</div><div>
</div><div>For $299  you get the plane, engine, and radio in one package. The plane can be assembled in about 30 minutes and as soon as the battery is fully charged you can be in the air. If I remember correctly the radio will buddy box with a Futaba radio so there is no problems with finding somebody to help you. </div><div>
</div><div>I have trained more people than I can count on this plane and they all successfully learned to fly. In fact, I learned to fly on this plane 17 years ago and I still have that trainer. And it still flies occasionally as well. </div><div>
</div><div>Take a look.</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>

Gray Beard 10-02-2012 09:46 AM

I'm impressed with what Ken is showing you, even comes with an OK .46 engine.
Before I really started flying RC I had built a House of Balsa 1/2A cub with a two channel radio. I used the Tee Dee .049 engine and made up a bigger fuel tank. It was a complete kick to fly. Got it way the heck up there then it ran out of fuel. On the way down I would look for buzzards and hawks floating on thermals and get in with them and just float the thermals.
HOB still sells that cub kit. It's a very easy build. Sure is nicer then a coraplast build.
For 300 bucks the trainer that Ken showed you may be the best way to go though unless you have a good Tee Dee on hand and the radio and gear. HOB has a lot of items for 1/2A or at least the did at one time. Pull them up and look.

combatpigg 10-02-2012 03:21 PM

Jumping through all the hoops to run .049 engines is practically a seperate hobby unto itself, but there are many low cost electric alternatives to power this same size and weight of plane.
These planes are so much simpler, cheaper and less stressfull than the typical .40 sized, $300 trainer. There's always time to "move up" to the .40 sized trainer after the basics of 2 channel flight with a 1 pound plane have been mastered.