RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Throttle Linkage ?'s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11261565-throttle-linkage-s.html)

BillinIndiana 10-13-2012 04:45 PM

Throttle Linkage ?'s

I have a DU-BRO - Control Over-Ride Servo Saver and I want to use it on the flexible cable for the throttle servo. Question is at the carb, do I use a metal solder link right to the cable and then connect to the carb or do I use a solder threaded coupler soldered to the cable and then the nylon link? Or does it matter? I should be able to adjust the throttle cable at the servo if I use this Control Over-Ride attachment, right? I'm new to this but it looks like the cable slides right through and can be adjusted at the servo..?

Here's the servo part I'm talking about
http://www.duanesplanes.com.au/images/T/DUB120.jpg

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it !
<br type="_moz" />

alan0899 10-13-2012 05:39 PM

RE: Throttle Linkage ?'s

1 Attachment(s)
G'day Mate,
Don't waste your time, if your radio has end point or servo travel adjust, different brand radio's call them different names, but they are both the same thing.
Use a ball link at the throttle arm Dubro number 190, & a E/Z connector Dubro Number 121 at the servo.
And set it up using the attached instructions & you can't go wrong.

Cheers

BillinIndiana 10-13-2012 05:56 PM

I don't have a Tx yet. Thinking it's gonna be the Spektrum DX8 though or maybe the DX7 ?

Charlie P. 10-13-2012 06:02 PM

I like those servo savers for steerable nose gear at our rough dirt &amp; grass clump field, but it's WAY overcomplicated for a throttle and will delay response.  With flexible cables I like to solder a threaded stud on the end and then attach a clevis.  If it is a Nylon inner "cable" thread in a threaded stud.

jester_s1 10-13-2012 06:04 PM

That servo saver is for saving your gear train from sudden bumps. They can be handy for a nosewheel if you fly on a rough surface, but that's is for planes.

BillinIndiana 10-13-2012 06:43 PM

Hmmm.. Guy at the LHS told me to put that on my throttle?

alan0899 10-13-2012 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

Hmmm.. Guy at the LHS told me to put that on my throttle?

G'day Bill,
It's his job to sell you stuff, whether you need it or not.
Do yourself a GIANT favour, & find a club near you, go there & talk to the members, they will welcome you
with open arms & be extremely helpful as well.
As I have said many times before, on this forum, A club visit can teach you more in 5 minutes, than you can learn in a month on here.
Take your plane with you, listen & learn.

Cheers

Charlie P. 10-13-2012 06:57 PM

Has he ever flown a model airplane?

Or, would he rather sell a $2.15 servo saver or tell you to use a free "Z" bend.

BillinIndiana 10-13-2012 07:18 PM

Tower Hobbies Tech Notes on this part... Says it's for the throttle also

www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P

<div><table style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; " cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; "><center>
</center> <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> </tbody> </table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table></div>

jester_s1 10-13-2012 07:58 PM

It can be for anything, but you don't need it. What you do need is a solid, consistent connection to the throttle and your endpoints adjusted properly on your radio. The only value in putting that thing on your throttle cable is if you simply couldn't be bothered to make sure your servo wasn't binding on the throttle it would probably save it from burning up. I don't even bother with a flex cable on mine. I run a 2-56 wire from the servo with a Z-bend at the servo end and a plastic clevis on the throttle end. I try to get the Z-bend as close as I can and then adjust the length I need with the clevis. I like to run a tube through the fuel tank area for it to slide in so I can be sure that it doesn't rub, and I put a zip tie as the clevis keeper instead of a piece of fuel tubing so that it doesn't split after a while. This is the most reliable and simple to set up connection you can possibly have. A few planes need a flex cable if there's a weird angle from the servo to the throttle, but that's not all that common. Even then, the same type of connection works just fine- a soldered clevis on one end and a threaded clevis on the other.

OliverJacob 10-13-2012 08:39 PM

They are for the throttle servo on a rc car. That servo also handles the brake, your carb arm would not allow your servo to get past the idle position with a fixed linkage.
A stronger version is mostly used on the steering servo, to prevent it from shocks.

They can also be used on airplanes with nosewheels, but most planes (servos) do fine without the servo saver.

No need for this on a plane throttle. Just a source of failure and no benefits to it. Your radio will likely have an end point or throw adjustment. Works great

JohnBuckner 10-13-2012 08:58 PM

Those things just like everyone here has hinted at will only cost you lost time at the field in screwing with them. They are not needed actually for steering servos or throttles on airplanes, Its money that only will cost you more in frustration.

Now yes they may help with the steering on some rc cars but who is talking about cars?

Also over dependance on what some clerk tells you unless you know them to be practicing airplane folks, is always suspect as the true airplane/flyer/enthusiast/store keeper is rapidly becoming a thing of the past and almost all shops these days have lots of 'Car' experts but virtually no one that knows the differance between a controlline or RC airplane.

I also wish to support the responders here who have urged that the people you need to listen to the most are your real live fellow club mates and mentors.

Those things are right up there with power panels as the most useless purchases fostered off on new folks flying glow airplanes these days. Oh man there goes that Opinion Thing agine:D

John

HighPlains 10-13-2012 11:01 PM

I use a ball socket(Dubro part with 2-56 stud) on the carburator arm because the motion of the arm is usually not planer with the control cable after it goes around the tank. On the other end, I use a short piece of 1/16 music wire and couple it to the cable with a simple wheel collar. This makes final adjustment very easy, plus the mass of the collar tends to filter high frequency vibration from the servo. As far as a servo saver ( useful for the nose gear pushrod), a simple "V" bend in the pushrod will protect the servo's gear train. Pictures in the following discussion:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8395012

carrellh 10-14-2012 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wrote the comments on the picture

jaka 10-14-2012 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
Silver solder as above is just ordinary sweet solder but much stronger.I's called "Sray-Brite" and is sold by Great Planes. An ordinary 50W-80W soldering iron of good quality is used.
You can also use ordinary sweet solder made for electronics ...or whatever.

drac1 10-14-2012 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My throttle linkage method is to use, 1/32" piano wire for the push rod. Micro EZ connector on the servo arm. Ball link on the throttle arm with the brass connector soldered to the piano wire.

Run the push rod in a piece of plastic tube about 2-2.5mm larger id than the push rod.

Works flawlessly on my 40 size trainers to 2m pattern ships.

Regards
Scott

acdii 10-14-2012 06:41 PM

If you are using a throttle cable, use one of those set screw connectors that you see in that picture on the carb link. Solder the end of the throttle cable and insert it in the connector. Set your throttle end points, which is easily done on a DX8(I have one), and your done.   I use this setup on all my 4 strokes and never had a problem, no fancy bends and backwards facing links.

BillinIndiana 10-14-2012 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: acdii

If you are using a throttle cable, use one of those set screw connectors that you see in that picture on the carb link. Solder the end of the throttle cable and insert it in the connector. Set your throttle end points, which is easily done on a DX8(I have one), and your done. I use this setup on all my 4 strokes and never had a problem, no fancy bends and backwards facing links.

I've never mounted a cowl before, I'm not that far with my 1st kit, but will I still be able to get to the set screw once it's mounted?