RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   CA Kicker Home Brew? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11293476-ca-kicker-home-brew.html)

DenverJayhawk 11-10-2012 07:53 PM

CA Kicker Home Brew?

A little while ago someone posted a recipe for a home made solution for CA kicker. I think it was baking solution and water with another ingredient. If anyone has it, can they post it again please?

Thanks.

foodstick 11-10-2012 08:15 PM

RE: CA Kicker Home Brew?

I have sprinkled baking soda powder on the glue before.. instead of a liquid...

Live Wire 11-10-2012 08:57 PM

Boil baking soda in water and use as spray!

DenverJayhawk 11-10-2012 10:01 PM

that's all it is? Boiled solution of water and baking soda?

foodstick 11-10-2012 10:51 PM

Probably is, all you need is baking soda ...

Live Wire 11-11-2012 01:13 AM

That is all the guy posted on the thread:eek: let it set for a while, then put it in your sprayer and spray it,

Hossfly 11-11-2012 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

A little while ago someone posted a recipe for a home made solution for CA kicker. I think it was baking solution and water with another ingredient. If anyone has it, can they post it again please?

Thanks.
For fun, if you need to fill a crack or such, rub some baking soda in it and hit with CA. Don't let the little bomb-smoke into the nose. Very irritating. ;) Kind of cute though.

DenverJayhawk 11-11-2012 01:00 PM

anyone know the ratio of water to baking soda?

foodstick 11-11-2012 04:37 PM

Oh by the way, someone once posted they were using an eye dropper to accurately kick CA, instead of using the SHOTGUN effect out of the spray bottle !

you spray you pay !

flyinwalenda 11-11-2012 04:45 PM

One ounce of water to one teaspoon full of baking soda is a good ratio.

DenverJayhawk 11-11-2012 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

One ounce of water to one teaspoon full of baking soda is a good ratio.

Thank you!

opjose 11-12-2012 10:36 AM

Interesting thread.

I know that CA does pretty well when moisture is present.

But that said most of the accelerators seem to use aromatic esters of some sort.

DenverJayhawk let us know how it works out.

Live Wire 11-12-2012 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

that's all it is? Boiled solution of water and baking soda?
I tried it today and it did not work :D The soda does not disolve in the water and seperates to the bottom. The water will not work alone and the paste in the bottom is like useng straigh soda. You need a dremel to get it smooth:eek:
NEXT;)

tacx 11-12-2012 04:11 PM

I don't understand this "kicker" thing. I have built many planes and have never found a need for it. Thin CA sets almost immediately and gap filling CA only takes a minute or two. Why would I want the glue to set up any faster?

Live Wire 11-12-2012 04:18 PM

Some CA's are not refined as much a others or are old, which will cause them to set slower. Some people use kicker to help bridge gapps.
Larry K

DenverJayhawk 11-12-2012 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: tacx

I don't understand this ''kicker'' thing. I have built many planes and have never found a need for it. Thin CA sets almost immediately and gap filling CA only takes a minute or two. Why would I want the glue to set up any faster?
I use it in the field when repairing my depron foamies. If I snap a wing, I just hit it with some CA and give a spray of kicker and i'm back in the air in less than a minute. That way you don't have to wait for a couple minutes while holding the broken pieces together. It sets instantly. Be sure to use foam safe CA though.

bikerbc 11-15-2012 04:52 PM

What I did was boiled a few tablespoons of baking soda in about a cup of water and then let it cool and settle ... Then I put the clear liquid thru a coffee filter and into my little glass storage bottle.. From there I fill my little spray bottle when it is empty...I dont use much and it tends to need shaking up from time to time but it works great....I could probably cut down on the amount of baking soda I use... I also find that you only need to get the water hot enough to disolve the baking soda , you dont really need to boil it..

DenverJayhawk 11-16-2012 08:39 AM

thanks, Bikerbc. I'll try that.