RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Need help making a body for these parts (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11300078-need-help-making-body-these-parts.html)

rctech96 11-16-2012 10:46 PM

Need help making a body for these parts

Hi, so I have a remote control and a battery and motors left over from a previous air hogs plane i bought, the body broke off but everything works, the controller works fine with the rest of the parts.

I need help making a body or something out of this, pherhaps a rc plane? Is there a way to make a homemade body for these parts to make a plane? Using supplies from home?

Here is a picture of the parts: (remember everything works fine)

http://oi49.tinypic.com/1hsfp3.jpg<br type="_moz" />

bikerbc 11-17-2012 07:28 AM

RE: Need help making a body for these parts

Although everything is possible I would say that would be a real chalange ... I am not sure what that one big part is and I dont think your transmitter is proportional and if that is the case I dont think it is worth the effort... It just not an advanced enough radio system to be worth building a plane for in my opinion. Sorry

jaka 11-17-2012 07:51 AM

Hi!
You could build a Depron plane for indoor use. But frankly! What you have is just toy stuff and not worth fiddling with.
If you are really instrested in R/C get a "real" radio (Spektrum,JR,Futaba) and trainer plane and join a club.

Hossfly 11-17-2012 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: rctech96

Hi, so I have a remote control and a battery and motors left over from a previous air hogs plane i bought, the body broke off but everything works, the controller works fine with the rest of the parts.
I need help making a body or something out of this, pherhaps a rc plane? Is there a way to make a homemade body for these parts to make a plane? Using supplies from home?Here is a picture of the parts: (remember everything works fine)
http://oi49.tinypic.com/1hsfp3.jpg<br type=''_moz'' />
Yes, you can if you visualize what I try to give you the idea. Now I am not really up on airhogs, but your radio is very quaint for RC airplanes so here goes.
You will have an airplane that 1. has a square fuselage from nose to the back of the wing, the fuse then tapers down to about 3" on top then flat, and sides to the rear end, with the bottom being flat.

Get a Foam Board sheet, $ stores or office supply stores or Walmart types.

For the fuse, draw a back side on the board. straigh for about 30-40% of the desired length. This will be your bottom. Then draw sides that will fold and also a tapered sides from your point of where the wing trailing edge will be. Foam Board can be left attached at places, simply by creasing the inside and folding.
Your object is to make a fuselage using your ideas of the size that your motor/s will support.
Make a stabilizer. It should be 20-25% area of the wing area.You can use the fold cut on one side or make an elevator then tape it together, best done with the old over and under crossing for hinges.
Make a vertical Fin and a rudder same way. The stab and rudder will be your 2 channel controls.

For your wing cut a suitable wing. You need to have about 10-12 degrees dihedral so some reinforcement will be needed around the center. Carpet Tape does fairly well, but it is sticky on both sides, so that will have to be covered over with some material.
Now the wing should have a longtidunal crease at 25% of the chord line, measured from the leading edge, and a slight bend of the wing there. This will be your airfoil. Use some scraps of foam-board to make ribs (flat bottom with a slight triangle top to fit and maintain the folded LE. i.e. to hold the bend in place. Use any white school or other such glue to keep the fold. Three ribs at the wing saddle and one each 4-6 inches out.

Once the fuse is folded, use some foam board to make a few bulkheads to keep the fuse straight andin place. Again white glue does well, just takes a while to dry.
You can use scrap foam board strips to make square bulkheads, just cut them out the length you need and glue back to back and in place. One up front and one each under the wing LE and TE then one under the stab LE and whatever else you think you might need. Use plenty glue.

Run a dowel stick ( if you have some of those shis-kabob sticks at home, they will work) across the fuse at the bulkheads, fore and aft, andunder the top of the fuse, to use rubber bands to hold the wing.

You might need a small plywood to hold your motor up front.

Place your components so the model balances at the 25% bend point on the wing.

Your rudder is your steering and bank control. Your tail plane, ( horizontal stabilizer) is your up and down. If you have throttle control then that too is an up and down control.

I have built several foam board models with up to.61 glow engines. They work well and are so easy. Best of luck with your project.

rctech96 11-17-2012 10:53 AM

Hossfly I really really appreciate your time to write this down, but since I haven't been into this rc stuff before a lot of the terminology I don't get, and its pretty hard for me to understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

CGRetired 11-17-2012 01:23 PM

We have a guy in our club that makes planes out of just about anything. He makes them out of the foam plates meat come on at the super market, which may be right what you are looking for. I will google around to see what I can find on the internet.

CGr

combatpigg 11-17-2012 03:30 PM

RCtech, find yourself a drawing of a typical RC trainer. Just a little bit of effort with Google and you will find one with overhead and side views. Take Hoss's thumb nail sketch of how to make use of the foam poster board material and of the basic proportions he specifies. Study the basic proportions of the typical trainer as well and then do your best to apply this info to your project. If you pay attention to just a few basic "laws" you will end up with a plane that will fly with adequate control. If you fail at the first attempt you sure aren't out very much money or time and there should always be a way to pick up the pieces and learn from the first try.