RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   best 4 channel trainer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11314264-best-4-channel-trainer.html)

jetRC 11-29-2012 08:24 PM

best 4 channel trainer

Do any of you now what the best 4 channel trainer is from horizon hobby, im thinking of the P-47 thunderbolt and the T28, what is the best option plz reply!!!

jester_s1 11-29-2012 08:38 PM

RE: best 4 channel trainer

Neither. Warbirds aren't designed to be self righting or particularly slow. Read the sticky entitled "trainers- what's available" to see what's out there. If you're looking for a park flyer, the Super Cub is good, as is the e-flite apprentice. There's not anything cheaper that's just as good, and you'll need a nice big open space to fly any plane in. If you're able, working one day with an instructor will save you 6 months of trial and error.

countilaw 11-29-2012 09:35 PM

What you need is a good trainer with a high wing. If you want to go Nitro (glow) then your best bet is:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXCNSW&P=0

The box has everything you need to fly except fuel and a glow plug lighter.

If you want to go electric:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LW2207&P=7

Frank

jetRC 11-29-2012 09:35 PM

Sorry, i didnt mention, that i had all ready masterd the hobbyzone super cub dsm.

jetRC 11-29-2012 11:38 PM

I was also thinking of just getting a firebird stratos, just to play around with and especially something I know what im doing with!!

flyinwalenda 11-30-2012 05:06 AM

I wouldn't spend the money on the Stratos as you will become bored quickly with that one too. If you want to stay electric I would get the Apprentice . It's a larger plane, still a high wing but is more agile and is something you can practice your 4 channel flying, not get into serious trouble  but not get bored with it down the road.  After you do well on that then you can move to a T-28.

AMA 74894 11-30-2012 07:09 AM

Don't forget the SWITCH!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1288
My Brother Mike, (rest his soul) did the review on that one, I've flown it several times in both High and Low Wing configurations...
that one gets my vote :)
the Sensei is another good one also!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1368

Gray Beard 11-30-2012 08:41 AM

I really miss Mike!! I missed his review on this switch plane and from what I see it would be a great one to have. My grandson is still flying the super cub but I think a switch is something that should go under the tree this year. I'm building him a copy of my Aeroworks Extra 260 but it's still too much plane for him right now, the switch looks like something he should have first.
Gene

Chucksolo69 11-30-2012 09:02 AM

The Flyzone Sensei is another good 4 channel highwing trainer.

jetRC 11-30-2012 01:33 PM

Would you recommend the parkzone Mosquito.<div>
</div>

jetRC 11-30-2012 01:36 PM

Or the ST MODEL Cessna 182 RTF

flyinwalenda 11-30-2012 02:01 PM

Your desire in planes is bigger than your ability by the sounds of it. Had a club member go through that the hard way. Wanted to jump right into warbirds from a high wing trainer instead of taking the proper next steps in planes (advanced high wing trainer, low/mid-wing trainer). Even with training, he planted almost every warbird he had until the light bulb was finally lit. Now he is flying a stick and his skills are getting better and better and he will be ready for a warbird next year.
Don't try and jump over the logical steps.

jetRC 11-30-2012 02:14 PM

I live in Australia so I don't have a fly zone retailer near me.

RCKen 11-30-2012 02:23 PM

Ok, here's the deal. The people above who are giving you advice are doing so only to help you, not to put you down or try to hold you back. <div>
</div><div>Here is your current situation. Yes, you have learned to fly on a 3 channel radio. But you have not flown using a plane that has ailerons. While the basics of flight remain the same, the addition of ailerons is going to be something that could very well wind up destroying your plane. The Champ that you have flown had self recovery characteristics, meaning you let go of the stick and the plane pretty much is going to level the wings on it's own. This is a result of the dihedral built into the wing. However, most if not all, of the planes you want to fly have no self-recovery built into them. Which means that if you are not able to bring the wings back to level flight the plane is going to crash. Plain and simple. This isn't an easy step you are wanting to make. It is more like going from crawling to running a sprint race. </div><div>
</div><div>What you need to do is what has already been suggested above. Get a basic 4 channel trainer and learn to fly a setup with ailerons on it. You will need to practice returning the plane to level flight with the ailerons in order to maintain your flight. Until you can do this with ease on a trainer you aren't ready to step up to any of the advanced planes you want to fly. </div><div>
</div><div>As I said, I'm not trying to hold you back. Rather I'm trying to help you. All pilots, regardless of flying RC or full scale, must make these training steps as they learn to fly. Full scale fighter pilots don't start out learning on the fighter jets they eventually fly. They start on very simple easy to fly trainers. There is a reason why they do this, and it's the same reason you need to take these steps as you progress up in the planes you want to fly. </div><div>
</div><div>Hope this helps</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>

bigedmustafa 11-30-2012 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: jetRC

I live in Australia so I don't have a fly zone retailer near me.
Of the planes you've expressed interest in, jetrc, a T-28 Trojan would be the best alternative. The full scale T-28 Trojan is a low wing trainer aircraft, and most of the models I've seen based on this design are nice flying aircraft without any bad flying characteristics.

Compared to your Super Cub, a T-28 Trojan of similar size will be a faster, twitchier aircraft that will need a bit more room for flying and landing. If you're really flying your Super Cub well, however, you can probably make the jump.

The advice you were given previously, look at the Apprentice 15e or the Alpha 450 before jumping to a war bird, was good advice. New pilots often skip good advice and buy what they like. If you choose to do that, then the T-28 Trojan is a good pick from among the designs you named.

Good luck and good shopping!

red head 11-30-2012 03:54 PM

The T28 is an advance trainer as far as the USN and USAF are concerned. ENJOY !!! RED

DUNCAJ 11-30-2012 04:25 PM

Take a look at the Alpha 40. Flie's great.........

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...m2-rtf-HAN4400

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rainer-HAN2460

jetRC 11-30-2012 04:38 PM

Awesome looking plane, does this come with the Dx5?

DUNCAJ 11-30-2012 04:49 PM

According to overview yes.

flycatch 11-30-2012 06:47 PM

I would reccomend the Parkzone T28. Saw one fly and I was impressed with its' stability.

jetRC 11-30-2012 09:00 PM

Can you convert the alpha 40 to electric power?

Hnorth 11-30-2012 09:11 PM

T-28 hands down. After you master the t-28, you could go to the habu 2.

Warbird40 11-30-2012 10:58 PM

I learned on a early 90's used Midwest Aerostar that I bought for $30 on CL and a $30 Super Tigre .40 nitro engine. The best $60 I have ever spent!:D

da Rock 12-01-2012 04:52 AM

Almost everything can be converted to electric. How hard it is depends on how easily a hatch can be created, and whether or not venting can be cut into the places that need venting.

There is a replacement fuselage sold by Horizon that has a hatch. Their picture of that fuselage isn't good enough or large enough to show where the hatch is or how good a hatch it is, but you gotta assume it's there for electric power. Unfortunately, the picture shows no hatch lines at all, and doesn't show any additional holes for venting. Perhaps they put the hatch in the bottom of the fuselage and maybe a vent there too. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-arf-HAN246001

You won't need a lot of venting. But you will need a couple of holes in the firewall that let air come straight in on the battery and ESC. A hole twice the area of the inlet holes is needed for exhaust and is easily cut in the fuselage aft of the wing, top or bottom. But you will need access to the area right behind the firewall for swapping a relatively large battery in and out. You can use the wing as a hatch, but that depends on your patience and how easy it'd be to cut holes to allow that battery to ride where it needs to be for the CG.

The replacement fuse might or might not provide those things. They're necessary for your ESC to live long and prosper. They would take an experienced modeler an evening to do.

DUNCAJ 12-01-2012 06:21 AM

As explained by da rock, the answer is yes. If I have pushed the right button's, below is what is needed for the conversion.

That work . Go to Horizon click on the ARF model then, Parts &amp; Accessories, then Complition kit 2.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rainer-HAN2460

Good luck

Edwin 12-01-2012 06:44 AM

jetrc,
The Alpha 450 is the Alpha 40 on electric. I will be working with a new student today that has learned to fly 3 channel park flyers, he says pretty good. But when he went to a Parkzone P-47, he just crashed and realized that he needed help. Since he likes electric, I'm going to point him towards the Apprentice 15e or Alpha 450. The Sensei may be good, I just dont have any direct experience with it. I always tell the newbies to contact an instructor first. It keeps you from wasting money.
Edwin

Chucksolo69 12-03-2012 12:32 PM

Tower Hobbies ships internationally. You can order the Flyzone Sensei from them.

red head 12-03-2012 05:34 PM

The Apprentice is a great little electric trainer. I have 5 students using it right now it's a good size, can fly slow or you can set it up tighter and have some fun with it. It's even a nice plane to have around later to just bore holes with.

The Sensei was OK but I prefer the Apprentice and I'm more fuel then electric. As a trainer I didn't like the Switch at all, I thought it would be a neat plane if you knew how to fly fairly well. ENJOY !!! RED

acdii 12-03-2012 07:53 PM

The Apprentice is a great little plane, It was my first large trainer. I learned to fly on a micro T-28.  I maidened and solo'd on the Apprentice, and smacked it into a tree, a barn, a fence, and a few other things, and only needed minor repairs. In fact I cracked the fuse in half on a ground loop. Some gorilla glue, and tape and good as new.

One drawback, it doesn't like wind. Anything over 10 MPH, forgetaboutit.    Now SIG has some really good planes, the Kadet LT planes are fun, I have an LT40, and that plane is my go to plane, I just love to fly it. Very maneuverable, setup as a tail dragger, very strong wing, can take a beating and easy to repair.

If you want to go low wing, SIG also have the Four Star series. For electric, there is the 4*20, small, fun, floater, and with dual rates can be docile or wild, yet still land slowly.

If you need a small plane, either the Apprentice, Sig LT-25, or SIG 4*20 are great 4 channel planes.

jetRC 12-03-2012 11:20 PM

Is it daunting when flying your first 4 channel, and does it make a difference when flying a micro 4 channel?

red head 12-04-2012 02:23 PM

I'm going to disagree with ACdii , I fly my students in a lot of wind and if they don't want to learn in the wind~~ find another instructor .. It's amazing how much you can learn flying in the wind and if you are afraid of the wind ~~ in most states you won't fly much . You just have to be smart and pay attention to the wind and what it does. Sort of like sailing .

Sometime at the field ( or anywhere ) spend some time just watching the wind . See when it changes it's up's and downs, it's direction, how long between gust / breezes and if you can the difference in a little altitude . You don't need a plane to marval with the wind.

I agree that there can be too much wind but don't let it stop you from having fun flying . I test flew a complete crash repair in about 15 mph winds today (with a glow plane ) and had no problems, in fact it was fun. ENJOY !!! RED

acdii 12-05-2012 06:00 AM

If YOU can fly an Apprentice, which weighs no more than 3 pounds, in strong wind, go for it!  If you can even get it back to the runway, thats great. but frankly, I wouldnt fly it in winds that can push it backwards under full throttle.   I do fly my other planes in 15 MPH winds though, but never the Apprentice, its way too light for winds over 10 MPH.  Heck even the Eflite T-34 is a pain to land in strong wings, and usually it winds up as a Harrier landing because it can stay aloft very easy, even with flaps not deployed, heck I only use the flaps now for takeoff.  Strongest I will fly is 18, and only if its not a cross wind, where I fly , way to risky to take off and land with a cross wind, just not enough runway to deal with it. <div>
</div><div>Most guys have these nice open areas with lots of runway to take off and land on, me, I have maybe 100' of width, and about 400' of length, with a dead stop on 3 sides, along with some obstacles on the right  side, namely the carcasses of an A-26 and Navy Panther, with a 2 level pole barn as a wind break/turbulence maker.  When the winds are out of the south at anything above 10 MPH, I dont risk it, because of the change in wind speed and turbulence when it gets past the barn. I have had my planes bounce up and down 10-15 feet going past that barn roof with southerly winds.  When out of the north, it isnt so bad, but from the south, as long as I pay attention to right to left take offs so that it doesn't veer into us when the wind speed changes past the barn,  there is like a demarcation line, and if you miss it, you have a plane coming right at you.   The Apprentice is very good at yawing at slow speeds when the wind hits that big tail, and no matter how much rudder you give it, it will not straighten out until it gains enough speed.  </div><div>
</div><div>So like I said, the Apprentice is a good plane to learn on, as long as you dont have strong winds, it is way too light.  </div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Yeah, I can fly in wind, I just do it when it's safe, and wont harm my planes, and also use the right plane for the winds. </div>

Edwin 12-05-2012 07:00 AM

I gotta support acdii on this. When my students are choosing which power system to use I give them these guide lines based on our field (nice long paved runway and fair sized open field with heavy tree brush behind that). Electrics stand down above 10mph, glow stands down about 15mph. Not because of the plane, because of the student. An experienced pilot CAN fly in higher winds, but its usually not too fun for a fresh solo'd novice pilot. Just last week a new pilot was flying in high winds at about 18mph. He spun in back in the trees, we still havent found his plane. I did a demo flight to test a new plane setup for a new student, but didnt buddy box. There was really nothing he was going to learn in those winds. Later, when a student has more experience and can put the plane where I tell him, we'll fly in higher winds. The issue with electrics is when the battery starts running down, like was said, you might not make it to the runway or clear grass.

Then on the other hand, I kind of like flying a trainer in that kind of wind. You can just about helicopter down to the runway from about 5' up. It teaches you reflex and control.
Edwin

acdii 12-05-2012 11:29 AM

<span style="font-family: Arial;">When I Harrier land the T-34 my friends just look at me and shake their heads and say</span><div style="font-family: Arial;"></div><div style="font-family: Arial;">That just aint right.</div><div style="font-family: Arial;"></div><span style="font-family: Arial;">Ihaven'tflown it since I removed the droops, I borrowed the engine for my Kadet since it lined up the same astheOS, and I cant find a SIG mount for it yet, but once I do and get the engine back on it, I want to do some stall tests without the droops and see how it flies. I</span>doubt I can Harrier land it with out them, but hopefully it will be a litlle faster.

red head 12-05-2012 05:34 PM

One of the things I like to have my students do while flying on a windy day is to get it up fairly high, put it into the wind and just " kite " it in one place. When they get where they can do it fairly well I start having them do it with rudder ( first step with rudder ). It's a Great feeling for them when they can keep it in one spot for an extended time and maybe even fly it backwards.

With the electric's I have my students use timers so we don't go too deep into a charge, besides I don't like flying students more then 10 minutes per flight. Then at least a short break before they go up again. Right now we only go 4 flights ( at 10 min ) that's enough for the day. I feel that more then that and they quit learning.

By the way, if you are looking for some cheap timers that work great try " Dollar Tree " nice one $ 1.00 . Other dollar stores may also have them. We velcro them to the transmitter. ENJOY !!! RED

acdii 12-06-2012 06:49 AM

Or use the built in timer on the TX, all my radios have dual timers, one counts up when throttle is applied, the other counts down when throttle applied, and continues when throttle is idle, the other one stops when idle, continues when throttle up.   Beeps when it reaches two minutes, then beeps again at one minute, and beeps like mad at zero.