RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Sturdy Birdy II (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11361718-sturdy-birdy-ii.html)

Sherv 01-08-2013 11:38 AM

Sturdy Birdy II

Gentlemen I have an old friend of mine who got me into RC hobbies years ago, it was nitro cars, and he used to tell me he tried flying over a decade ago but gave up. He just moved and found his old Sturdy Birdy II kit (brand new) with futaba s49 servos and a futaba FM radio. He is interested in flying again with me buddy boxing with him.

I tried doing some research on the plane and it seems the durafly and hobbico line had similar indestructible planes, Sturdy Birdy for the hobbico version. I took a look on youtube and the plane does NOT look newb friendly... In fact it looks like its fast, doesnt glide, and twitchy. Anyone have any experience with one? I mean I can handle a plane like that but I dont want my buddy to have a hard time/stressful time trying to learn on a fast twitchy plane. I've been looking to buy a trainer to help friends/fam learn to fly, electric, but my friend is anti electric and pro nitro (dont ask why, I havent figured out why).

I know of some good trainers like the Alpha but using the stirdy birdy would save a substantial amount of money. Oh and the engine he has is an os 40.

fredscz 01-08-2013 11:46 AM

RE: Sturdy Birdy II

Twitchy could apply as could a little fast, but entirely suitable as a trainer. The wind will mess with them a lot, but most problems occur from overcontroling. they are tough as nails and a lot of fun once you progress down the learning curve. they glide ok but they don't have to be flown full throttle as a 40 bushing engine pulls them around just fine.
Are you going to build it with ailerons as I believe some were three channel with rudder on the right (aileron)stick.
Fred

nh4clo4 01-08-2013 12:07 PM

I had  a sturdy birdy with ailerons with a 25 2 stroke in it, and also a 40 2 stroke, The 25 flew it just fine, and not too fast, the 40 was much faster.<div>If you use a 40, try different props to find a nice, thrust/speed range for him.</div><div>ED</div>

GarySS 01-08-2013 02:14 PM

I learned to fly "power" with a Sturdy Birdy. A long time ago now, but I think I reduced the dihedral on the wings by about half for better control. It flew somewhat fast, but with a buddy box that should not be a problem. As I remember it did drop suddenly on landing if you got a little slow. I tend to land fast anyway so again and with a tough bird it's not that serious.

HighPlains 01-08-2013 06:27 PM

You should always build to fly, not to crash. I guess the designers of Duraplane and Sturdy Birdy missed the memo.

jester_s1 01-08-2013 08:25 PM

It won't save him money if it doesn't fly like he needs it to. It will at the very least cost him time and frustration, and at worst will crash because he can't keep up with it. I've said it many times before but it bears repeating- the absolute cheapest way to do this hobby is to buy good, appropriate equipment and take good care of it. Trying to make something work in a role that it's not best suited for is a losing proposition every time.

JohnBuckner 01-08-2013 10:08 PM

If the Sturdy Birdy Had been a good trainer it would still be around. Bottom line the airplane was flyable but truly awful as a trainer, in addition the concept of an Indestructable trainer was also a horrible concept and a lie. It was certainly not indestructable.

I have flown both variations (with and without ailerons) in the past neither was much good as a trainer.

In addition be very careful when helping your friend These wonderful 'finds' in almost every case end up costing the fellows far more money than needed and make sure that the radio system is actually still legal and not old wide band land fill. Remember at the very least the RC systems batterys will need replacement both tx and Rx.

John

CGRetired 01-09-2013 03:33 AM

Sherv

I would offer to help him build the kit, but in the interim, suggest that he picks up a reliable high-wing four channel trainer (with ailerons, in other words). Put the radio aside and pick up a decent 6 - 8 channel 2.4GHz radio system (Airtronics, JR/Spektrum, Hitec, Futaba - others I'm sure) with four standard servos and assemble it (if arf) or build it (if kit) and help him learn to fly with that.

Once he is proficient, then help him get the Sturdy Birdy finished then have someone competent (you or any one you trust) maiden it and set trims. Then help him with his first few flights.

Don't get rid of the trainer. After all these years, I still fly mine... a fun, relaxing flying session that brings me back to basics after flying more performance ( meaning that they fly like they are on rails and go where you point them) aircraft.

CGr.

durabird 04-22-2015 07:59 PM

The dura planes are real fast but the sturdy are smaller then a dura plane and has more wing I have 5 dura planes and 6 sturdy birdy
most of them I made from used parts and some home made parts the wing is the only part I can't make a home but you can't buy a new
sturdy birdys or dura planes any more like all the good toys before they stopped makeing them : ( you can only get one
if you can make it or if some wants to sale it p.s. I like to keep my old junk : )

ratshooter 04-23-2015 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are looking for a trainer the best I have seen that is commonly found is the Hobbico Superstar. Its a high wing flat bottom airfoil covered in monokote so repairs are easier than trainers covered with the sticky shelf paper type covering that is very hard to repair. Here is one on ebay with free shipping. And don't worry about wanting to go glow. I don't care for electric stuff either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hobbico-...item43bc7713c2

The sturdy birdy is close to the S.P.A.D. concept. Check out the SPAD forum here on RCU. I have built a couple of SPADS and they fly just fine and are durable but not totally crash proof.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2091385

Here is the one I have left. I gave the other to a buddy to learn to fly on. It lands slow and just about refuses to stall. When it does stall it never drops a wing. You can hold it off the runway until it just won't fly anymore and it drops in for a landing with the wings level.