RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Minnflyer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11430250-minnflyer.html)

chopper man 03-03-2013 05:39 PM

Minnflyer

I some what hate to ask this question. Minnflyer has been one of many that has responded to my questions over the years, and now after being back from not visiting rcuniverse, I have noticed that his last post was in April of last year. I sure do hope everything is ok.

Chopper

GaryHarris 03-03-2013 05:43 PM

RE: Minnflyer

Great man and I am sorry to bring this news, he has passed.

chopper man 03-03-2013 06:01 PM

That is why I was afraid to ask. May he and his family be at peace.

Chopper.

RCKen 03-03-2013 07:01 PM

Yep, it was just a little over a year ago that Mike (Minnflyer) passed away. I talked to him Monday afternoon and we were making plans for how we were going to cover the Toledo Show that weekend, in fact on Monday were were making plans for dinner on Thursday. The next morning I received the call telling me that Mike was gone. I wound up having to cover Toledo by myself and never have I felt worse!! I just couldn't imagine not being in Toledo without Mike there, we were a team doing the show.<div>
</div><div>I will miss my friend always. RCU and the hobby has lost a great man.</div><div>
</div><div>R.I.P. Mike</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div><div>
</div>

Scar 03-04-2013 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: chopper man

I some what hate to ask this question. Minnflyer has been one of many that has responded to my questions over the years, and now after being back from not visiting rcuniverse, I have noticed that his last post was in April of last year. I sure do hope everything is ok.

Chopper
We continue to hear from people who valued Mike's contributions to the hobby and these forums. Though gone, his memory is still honored.

Dave Olson

grosbeak 03-04-2013 10:29 AM

I have certainly benefited from his contributions to the hobby and I was saddened by his passing last year. RIP, Mike.

tailskid 03-04-2013 11:58 AM

He had to be one of the most 'giving' people I have met in this hobby and I think of him often.

chopper man 03-05-2013 01:39 PM

After losing my wife in 2007 I realize just how short life can be. I have a new outlook on life. I try now even harder not to let the little things be troublesome. Ken, I know this must have been hard on you having had made plans with Mike one minute then a friend taken from this earth the next. Life has its ups and down but when the day is done I am happy to have spent it with family and friends. My new wife does not understand why I tell her that I love her so many times in the day. She has never lost anyone close to her, I have and if I leave this earth unexpectedly my family will know how much I loved them.
RIP Mike

Chopper

Live Wire 03-05-2013 04:47 PM

Interesting how one person can change the life of so many, be it family, friend or even a pet. You never forget what they have done and keep doing all your life.
Thanks Minn.

daveopam 03-08-2013 08:16 AM

I hope Mike is looking down with a smile. More than likely he is busy building all night and flying all day on a level field with no wind, sunshine and batteries that last all day.

David

JollyPopper 03-09-2013 07:15 PM

I still miss the old buzzard. He was good to me when I first got on here as he was to most others. I could always count on him for an answer to a question rather than ripping into me for asking a noobie (stupid) question.

nitro wing 03-09-2013 08:07 PM

I built one of the PVC pipe aircraft cradles that he had an article on, just built it 2 months back, I modified so it can hold 3 planes for storage. Though of him alot when working on it.

chopper man 03-10-2013 09:45 AM

I have been eyeing the Great Planes Waco in the past week. I found a review that happened to be done by Mike. It was a great review and has convince me to buy when the cash becomes available. I think Mikes name will be placed on the side of the fuselage by the pilot in his honor. I never meet Mike but you are so right, he never criticized anyone but only tried to help.

Chopper

OzMo 03-10-2013 11:02 AM

Oh my,
Mike (and Ken) will continue to be a big part of how I teach new guys. Fortunately we are blessed with his knowledge and spirit and will be able to continue his teachings through the stickys and coarses on RCU.
Thoughts an prayers for his family ...at home...and here.
David Siepker aka OzMo

AMA 74894 03-14-2013 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, My is right :-)
There IS good news here Folks... yes, Mikey is missed EVERYDAY, but we do move forward.
(it was actually last April 9th)
My OTHER Brother Pat <jr.> Passed away just over 4 years ago... I'm the last male Buzzeo Sibling (nice, no pressure or anything :) ).
but I'm NOT the last Buzzeo FLYER :-) My Nephew Chris, my Son James, various other relatives are all still out there committing RC aviation.
I can't even begin to fill his shoes, (they could get a bit punky after all :) ) but I'm giving it a heck of a go.
I'll be helping out Ken and Geoff Barber at Toledo next month!
FWIW, Mike's Wife Cheri has been a pillar on the outside... I know she misses him easily as much as I do.
I can not tell you how much I personally appreciate the sort of support that I feel in this forum!
yes, we do miss Mike VERY much, but we are finding peace more easily at each passing day.
I know very well Ken and Geoff were as close to him as any relative, as long as THEY still find peace (and I think they have  ) then "all is right with the world"

vmsguy 03-14-2013 10:47 AM

Jim,

It was good to meet you at the Auction last month....

RCKen 03-14-2013 10:56 AM

Jim.<div> Thanks for the pictures of Mike. They bring back great memories. I know for sure that my life is better for having known Mike. It was a true loss when he left this world.</div><div>
</div><div>The one picture of the Cessna 310 sure does bring back one of the true mysteries here. Where the hell is that plane????? ;)</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>

AMA 74894 03-14-2013 11:43 AM

Ken, I REALLY wish we had painted something like 'Amelia Earhart' on the side of that thing... maybe 'Holy Grail' or 'Jimmy Hoffa' .....
that 310 did fly beautifully! but holy cr@p...
I think if they ever modified the 'Mary Celeste' to be an aircraft carrier, THAT 310 would be on the deck...

VMSGUY ... Lindon?

goirish 03-14-2013 11:57 AM

Gee Ken, You don't want it back do you[&o][&o]

JohnBuckner 03-14-2013 12:00 PM

So Jim in the photo with the Cox tethercar which are you and Mike?

AMA 74894 03-14-2013 12:18 PM

:D sorry about that John.. :)
Mikey was 8 years older than me...
I'm on the left with the fuel Bulb (that's a Cox Shrike btw :))
Mike's on the right, and in the trunk of the old Triumph Herald, barely noticeable is my Dad's old Flightbox...
which started life as his TRANSMITTER case.... had a nine foot whip antenna and ONE button... hit the button once and you'd get rudder full deflection LEFT.
hit it again, you's get full deflection RIGHT .. one more push would center the rudder.
I was a teeny bit too young to have flown with that setup, but I know Mike had a couple hours on it.

vmsguy 03-14-2013 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

VMSGUY ... Lyndon?

Yup.. that's me..

Mike had the honor (sad as it turned out) to maiden two of my planes at a fun fly.. (crashed 'em both)...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional... either that or he crashed his own US60 just to cover it up... :-)

RCKen 03-14-2013 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: goirish

Gee Ken, You don't want it back do you[&amp;o][&amp;o]
Gene,
There is a back story on that Cessna 310. I'll tell it now. Back when I was doing reviews Mike was supposed to review the Top Flite B-25. Well, Marc made a mistake and sent me both the Top Flite and Hangar 9 B-25's. So when the Cessna 310 came out I got my name on the list to get it for review. Well Mike called Marc and said "He got both B-25's, send the 310 to me!!", and Marc did. So, every time I talked to Mike I always asked him how the 310 was doing. In fact, the day before he died I called him doing Toledo prep and I asked him about the plane. So after Mike's death I said that I would like to get the 310 and keep is as my memory of Mike, considering the history behind it and how he got it. But when Geoff, Jim, and Cheri (pronounced Sherry and that is Mike's wife) went out to the garage the plane wasn't hanging where it normally did. Nobody knows where it went to. It wasn't crashed as he couldn't have flown it as the radio was over at Geoff's house. So it's a complete mystery as to where that plane went to. Noboby has a clue.

Ken
<br type="_moz" />

RCKen 03-14-2013 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

:D sorry about that John.. :)
Mikey was 8 years older than me...
I'm on the left with the fuel Bulb (that's a Cox Shrike btw :))
Mike's on the right, and in the trunk of the old Triumph Herald, barely noticeable is my Dad's old Flightbox...
which started life as his TRANSMITTER case.... had a nine foot whip antenna and ONE button... hit the button once and you'd get rudder full deflection LEFT.
hit it again, you's get full deflection RIGHT .. one more push would center the rudder.
I was a teeny bit too young to have flown with that setup, but I know Mike had a couple hours on it.
Jim,
Is you dad still able to fly?? The last time I talked to Mike he said that Pat was having a hard time at the flying field. So Jim, have you ever heard this at the flying field, "Ok, I'm getting ready to do a low pass now??" See, I can prove I've seen Pat Buzzeo fly!!!!! :) :) :D

Ken
<br type="_moz" />

AMA 74894 03-14-2013 01:53 PM

hehe... indeed Ken, as long as Dad does NOT try any 4 point rolls he's still OK :)
yes he does still fly EVERY chance he can (usually 3 or 4 days a week) but we've given him some Electric powered foamies (GASP!!)
which of course are MUCH easier to keep in one piece. his skills of course have dwindled a great deal in the last 5 years.
He's STILL got the Phoenix 7 from the review here http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1332
(yup, Dad flew the airplane for the review at age 90!)

that 310 I think is going to bug me for the rest of my life... we (Geoff, Cheri, Jake <Mike's Kid> me, My Dad, heck even my other brother Pat's WIFE) have poked, prodded and looked EVERYWHERE for that doggone 310
it vaporized...

VMSGUY... OMG I remember THAT too... sheesh what a day.....

I'd give almost anything to find out what happened to it, JUST to give it to Ken! :) (I remember vividly the whole story on THAT airplane... :) )

:-) I just got a call from Geoff... we've got a couple review airplanes to shoot tonight. :D see ya tomorrow!

SeaJay 03-14-2013 02:31 PM

I never met Mike personally, but he had helped me on more than one occasion with advice and wisdom!  I doubt that there are very many people  that have been here on RCU for any length of time that didn't benefit from his knowledge and wisdom..  <div>
</div><div>Thank you, Mike!!</div><div>
</div><div>Craig..</div>

freefall2907 03-14-2013 02:42 PM

so sorry to here Mike has passed on.so very much enjoyed his reviews,and he always was quick to respond to any questions i had,sadley missed'

rye 03-14-2013 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i too had mike help me on a lot of stuff and i know the cub was his favorite so heres my tribute to mike ,hope hes watching when i fly it ,RIP mike watch out for thoses low flying clouds,rye

impulse09 03-14-2013 03:03 PM

Gone but not forgotten...

winglift 03-14-2013 03:44 PM

Minnflyer helped me with many questions and gave me great advice. I have already expressed my condolences in a different thread, however I will add mine here as well. There are two types of people in this world, the givers and the takers, Minnflyer was a giver. He will be missed.

Cyberwolf 03-15-2013 07:41 AM

This news of Mike's passing hit's me like a rock, I had no idea of his death until I read this thread.
While one wants to think a person is better off, we still can't help but miss them and the knowledge they shared. I myself never had the chance to meet mike in person but we did talk several times mainly about the Ultra Sport aircraft. He will be missed by many, I feel terrible for not knowing about this sooner but I hope the family will accept my deepest condolences.
Richard.

Radical Departure 04-11-2014 08:56 AM

Was looking for some basic construction info today, and ran across some of Minnflyers' suggestions. How time flies. His knowledge lives on in these threads...

bpoates25 04-18-2014 08:55 AM

I can honestly say that Minnflyers videos on how to cover an airplane saved my bacon on my first few builds. His contributions to our hobby will always be appreciated.

Insanemoondoggie 06-24-2014 04:38 AM

I miss Mike and think of him often.

foodstick 06-24-2014 10:25 AM

I used to see his name so often on the threads it was almost like he was part of the program itself....

AMA 74894 06-24-2014 11:10 AM

agree... I miss the old booger... I Stopped at his Gravesite on Father's day and left him a Prop. :)
(ok, and a pack of his favorite smokes too :) ) gone, but absolutely NOT forgotten!

acerc 06-24-2014 05:47 PM

Mike left to much good will behind to be forgotten.
By the way, any chance he took the 310 with him? I have lost a couple in the family that had some prize possessions that could not be found and I have always wondered if it was possible that they took them with them.

AMA 74894 06-25-2014 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by acerc (Post 11829307)
Mike left to much good will behind to be forgotten.
By the way, any chance he took the 310 with him? I have lost a couple in the family that had some prize possessions that could not be found and I have always wondered if it was possible that they took them with them.

this is the LAST photo I have of that doggone 310... :) I swear he's got it with him....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2008790

RCKen 06-27-2014 08:59 AM

Mike and I formed a very special bond, it was almost like we were brothers (like there weren't already enough Buzzeo's running around!!!). It is such a loss that Mike it gone, that's for sure. Jim and I went and cleaned out Mike's shop and all his RC stuff after Toledo this year, and it was really hard for both of us to be dealing with. There were times that we would simply stop and just think about how much we missed Mike.

And yes, the mystery of the missing 310. If that is ever solved I surely want to know that answer!!!!!!! ;)

Ken

Insanemoondoggie 10-19-2020 02:15 PM

Been out in the shop most of the day working covering a .60 Extra 300S and Mike has been on my mind most the day. Miss you big time buddy, gone but not forgotten.