RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   2nd airplane choice after trainer? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11461368-2nd-airplane-choice-after-trainer.html)

Alena23 03-29-2013 09:23 AM

2nd airplane choice after trainer?

Hello everyone, i have been flying the hobbico nexstar 46 trainer for a few months and have really enjoyed flying this when i get the chance:) I got off to a great start with help from people here and at local club as well as youtube and other places. anyways, i have only had a few mishap but not any bad crashes just a few hard landings and one that broke some of the balsa wood where the landing gear attach but nothing serious and it has been fixed. I feel i have outgrown the this airplane and want to get more into the aspects of tricks. i feel nexstar is great airplane to learn to fly and fly around slow and learn the basics but not so much for advancing. i would like to know if anyone has any recommendation for what to do next. i would like a more aerobatic airplane that has some power for tricks but i notice the cost of these are very high new. is there anyway i can keep with the glow fuel equipment and engine, servo motors, reciever, and transmitter i have currently but just put into a different airplane so i do not have to buy all new?
many thanks, Alena.

Chucksolo69 03-29-2013 09:25 AM

RE: 2nd airplane choice after trainer?

Look at some of the Hangar 9 airplanes by Horizon Hobby. Most of them can be fitted for either gas/glow or electric. Maxford USA also has quite a selection.

Alena23 03-29-2013 09:28 AM

ok thanks. compatible with the same engine and all?

Chucksolo69 03-29-2013 09:32 AM

Probably, although you may have to modify the cowl and/or engine mount to accommodate that particular engine. But those planes are made to modify, being ARF kits. The Maxford planes, even though ARF, assume you know a little bit about building.

Alena23 03-29-2013 09:42 AM

i like the look of hangar 9 ultra stick. it says something about 5 servo i only have 4 in the nexstar. will this be a problem or is there a simple way around it?

Chucksolo69 03-29-2013 10:02 AM

usually the 5th channel is used for either retracts or flaps. You could always choose to NOT install the flaps. But, you can find servos online very cheap. For example, HobbyKing has mini servos for as little as 3-5 bucks a pop.

flyinwalenda 03-29-2013 10:10 AM

I would recommend a high wing plane with a flatter (less dihedral) wing. This will allow you to practice more aerobatics but still have a comfortable plane to fly and land. Something like the standard Stick (Sweet, Ugly, Big, Ultra, etc)  would be a good choice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...Page-_-HAN1730

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XBMM9&P=ML

You can transfer the engine and I think the servos are standard size so you should be able to re-use those. The radio is made for the Nexstar as it has that stabilization system that most don't use anyway. You could use that but don't use the stabilization system. The plane will come with a tank, motor mount and most hardware. You would need to get some servo extensions, switch, and misc material to complete it. Figure another $60.00 or so.
If this is something you want to stay with , you should start saving for a good transmitter system where you can program different models and have extra channels, etc...  
This isn't cheap but you don't have to spend a lot of money buying everything new either. Most of my equipment and planes were bought second-hand and some things were never used.  That's part of the fun  too for some in looking for good deals in the second-hand market.
Good luck .

Alena23 03-29-2013 10:32 AM

ok thank you. i do not use stabilization. it is not built into transmitter i think only the reciever. it has a gyroscope on the bottom and it looks like it just plugs into the reciever so i can leave it in the nexstar and strip everything and put it in the new airplane.

hugger-4641 03-29-2013 11:59 AM

Here are two that you might consider if you have someone to help you maiden them and instruct you. The Easysport is the gentler of the two, but the Dazzler is docile enough if you set the throws conservatively. All of your components should work in either one.

<a href="http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&amp;I=LXDTM8&amp;P=ML" target="_blank">www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p
</a>
www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p

<br type="_moz" />

t-max97 03-29-2013 12:13 PM

I just stepped up to [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBMM9&P=ML]this[/link] after my trainer and I love it so far, with the rates at about 50% of full throw on the ailerons and elevator with full throw on the rudder is flies really well almost like a trainer just a little more sensitive to controls and alot more aerobatic, it lands almost the same as a trainer also. If you keep the throws low at first it would be great.

ATVAlliance 03-29-2013 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Alena23

i like the look of hangar 9 ultra stick. it says something about 5 servo i only have 4 in the nexstar. will this be a problem or is there a simple way around it?
The stick, since its glo powered would need 5 servos.

2 - ailerons
1 - rudder
1 - elevator
1 - throttle

You really cant get a better 2nd plane than a stick. You flying skills will improve more by flying this airplane than really anything else. Once you get past of it not really looking like any other airplane...guess they dubbed it Ugly Stick for a reason, huh?

That ugliness wears off fast once you start slamming it around the sky! I have 4 Sticks of various sizes and love them all. Flies like its on rails and lands like a trainer.

I prefer the tail dragger setup on mine just because it makes you concentrate more on your takeoffs which will prepare you better for more complex models down the road.

If you get a STick...you can rest assured you will be making a solid choice for a 2nd plane.
<br type="_moz" />

flyinwalenda 03-29-2013 01:06 PM

To follow-up ,as stated by others , you will need an additional standard servo for most any new plane you get as most use (1) servo for each aileron connected with a "Y" cable for a 4-channel receiver. A standard Futaba servo 3004 is around $15.00 and you could put that on the elevator and use the other servos for the rudder, ailerons, and throttle.

wjcalhoun 03-29-2013 02:03 PM

Think about a Sig 4-star. They come in 40, 60, 120 size, so the 40 size would be good with your engine and servos.

Many think the 4star airframe is an ideal 'second plane'.

dasquirrelisme 03-29-2013 02:45 PM

Great Planes Super Sportster 40 is a great second plane. It only uses 4 servos and a 46 would fly it good. I also have a Sig Kobra that is a great and easy flying plane but I am not sure if it would be a good 2nd plane or not.

DeferredDefect 03-29-2013 02:50 PM

The Goldberg Tiger 60 or Tiger 2 are fantastic second modesl; They're big enough to track well in gustier winds, have a low enough wing loading to keep it slow and gentle when landing, and both are aerobatic enough to do....anything!<div>
</div><div>I'd highly recommend them for those reasons.</div><div>
</div><div>Happy Flying!</div><div>
</div><div>Graeme</div>

geeter 03-29-2013 03:13 PM

get a 40-60 size big stik.........RON

Rudolph Hart 03-29-2013 03:38 PM

It's a fair jump up but i'd recommend a decathlon.

thepamster 03-29-2013 04:15 PM

I think that it should be a requirement for all second planes be an Ugly Stick.
Also a Super Sportster, low wing, is a good third plane.

Alena23 03-29-2013 05:18 PM

yes i think i will look into the hangar 9 stick model particularly the ultra stick their site has. it seems to be reccommended here. and i dont really care if it is ugly because i dont want to have someting nice and crash it because i moved up from a trainer to something i am not comfortable with. i want to build and costomize my own airplane from a kit and cover it with my own colours but i would like to slowly go into that part and keep advancing so i am ready. the convesion will also help give me some knowledge on building im sure. i just need to have time to do it but it seems it will not take very long. someone earlier suggested a new radio and i also have been looking around on tower hobby. the 4 channel i have now is old and my biggest fear is having a run-away airplane that i cannot control. so i am looking into the 2.4 ghz tactic 6 channel. they want 150 dollars for that one i think it was and it said it was for intermediate pilots who want to move up. it seems a good deal and looks like it can be used for many airplanes and set up properly. i will check up on all the other sugestions for the airplane itself but so far from reviews and such ultra stick looks like it will be the one.

OliverJacob 03-29-2013 05:47 PM

There is a ton of planes out there. The stick is a very good choice, if you are on a tight budget, try this one:

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/stik-series.html

I have the .60 size and it's a great flyer. They are not pretty, but very good planes. Easy to fly and land.
This is a great second plane.

If you are looking for something sporty, the Sig 4star is a very good aerobatic trainer.

Profile Pilot 03-29-2013 06:20 PM

I opted for the Hanger 9 Super Stick 40 for my second plane. I have flown that bird for years and still enjoy it. There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. You won't go wrong with any of the suggestions I have seen.

Alena23 03-29-2013 07:26 PM

are these sticks easy to land? i noticed they are high wing like the nexstar but look much more sleek. i am assuming it lands faster than nexstar. and the ultrastick 40 claims it can be tail drag or tri cycle landing gear pattern which is probably the best config?

hugger-4641 03-29-2013 07:43 PM

If set up properly, any of the Stick's can be slowed down and land almost as slow as the Nexstar, especially if the flaps are used. The biggest difference in flight, aside from the aerobatic capabilities, will be that the Stick will not level out or correct itself from a bank or roll like the Nexstar. The Stick will go where you point it, if you bank for a turn you will have to level it out, if you point it down, you will have to level it back out, etc. But you will find inverted flight and rolls much easier than they are with the Nexstar.

thepamster 03-29-2013 07:49 PM

Sticks are pretty easy to land. Everything lands faster than a Nexstar, I think.
Sticks are high wing, fully symetrical airfoil, some have a slight dihedral and some don't. Can be aerobatic and docile at the same time.
I prefer taildraggers. Easier to land than tiicycle but slightly more difficult to take off, in my opinion. Tricycle gear are for trainers and jets.
</p>

52larry52 03-29-2013 07:54 PM

If you go for the stick, start with it in tri-gear configuration than later convert it to a taildragger. Goldberg Tiger is also a good 2nd plane but if you need an ARF they currently come only as a kit. Sig has just released a new version of their Four Star 40 and 60. The new ARFs have a clipped wing and a slicker canopy than the similar kit versions. The Four Stars are taildraggers, the Tigers are tri-gear, the sticks can be either. All good planes, pick one.