RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Guillows 400 series p51 to electric gas (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11635706-guillows-400-series-p51-electric-gas.html)

thenewguy101 01-14-2017 11:24 PM

Guillows 400 series p51 to electric gas

Hi, the plans for the guillows model says to use the cox pee wee engine but i have a 49 engine, and my club is in a tight budget and we cant buy a pee wee if i can beef up the nose wings and the bottom of the fuselage will this work out. because its a bigger engine it can take more weight.

this is my first time doing this but how can i control the throttle with a servo and i have a dxe transmitter.
what type of wood should i use when planking and how can i plank the aircraft fuselage. what type of dope should i use and paint.

buzzard bait 01-30-2017 07:00 PM

This is not a project for a new guy. Experienced builders/pilots might pull this off, but even with experience it is hard to do. It's hard to get all the radio equipment installed and hooked up to control surfaces and get the balance to come out right. Then, with the equipment and beefing up, the wing loading is very high, which means it will be difficult to fly. Guillow's kits are not very strong, so even after you strengthen it, it may not last past the first attempt.

What is this "club" and what do you want to do? If the 049 engine has a throttle then the throttle can be linked to a servo and operated by your tx. If it doesn't have a throttle, it has to be run wide open. Best use of the engine for a beginner would be in a powered glider.

Jim

thenewguy101 12-09-2018 08:21 PM

well im returning back to the rc world, the club was an aeronautical engineering club in my high school. i still have the p51 mustang i kept it in my room still boxed. im trying with a guillows sky raider rc conversion electric. i still have unused servos,motors and batteries. model will be beefed up because the electrical stuff are powerfull for a 900 series.

j.duncker 12-10-2018 07:58 AM

I am sorry but I am with Buzzard Bait on this. Your chances of getting a nitro powered RC conversion of a Guillow 400 P 51 off the ground and back in one piece are virtually zero. Even a very experienced builder and flyer will find it difficult.

For a 0.49 [ presumably a Cox of some variety I would look for a high wing model around 33 to 36 inch span and RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO BEEF IT UP Light models fly, heavy ones crash.

As for a throttle you can find several alternatives on flea bay. A reed valve Cox does not throttle well but you can get a sort of half power setting for a while.

jetmech05 12-10-2018 03:31 PM

More to this

you have to consider wing loading. Lift over comes gravity thing too much weight and at best you have a dog. Bigger engine plus more weight out come not good.

jester_s1 12-10-2018 08:24 PM

Don't try to skip straight to innovating unless you have a really good budget and don't mind breaking a lot of stuff. Build one of the Guillows kits exactly as the planes say to. Then put the time in to do flight trimming to get it to fly right. That's challenging enough by itself. After you've learned the basics, then you might consider doing an electric conversion or modifying the original design.

thenewguy101 12-11-2018 01:49 AM

I build Guillows kits for 3 years now. cessna 150, Bf109 Ju87 Stuka p51mustang. the Stuka flew like a pig uncontrolled. I built the 900 series p51 mustang flew great rubber powered. The Skyraider should be an easy build and conversion. Where can I open a build log here?

Appowner 12-11-2018 05:05 AM

I built Guillows kits for 10 years before trying my first RC. And then I went the traditional trainer route. After a break in flying for several years I returned. And again I went with a gentile sport model with a club member looking over my shoulder for the first few flights until I got the hang of it again.

Converted Guillows end up with high wing loading which then requires them to go fast in order to fly. Often outrunning the pilot in the process. Alternative is they end up so fragile in an effort to keep them light, they suffer structure failure. Usually in the hanger.

Bottom line is bigger flies better. For introduction to RC you're far better off with a trainer type with a wing of 54 inches or bigger. It will command a little more respect in the classroom too.

Hydro Junkie 12-15-2018 07:00 AM

I have to agree with the rest of the guys. If you want to build the Mustang, build it as a rubber powered free flight or display plane.
IF you want to build a plane that will fly and fly well, I'd go with a Kadet MKII or, better still, one of them and a Kadet Sr. Yes, you're going to be looking at spending money but, at the same time, you will have a plane that will fly and fly well.
The Mustang, being small, will be overweight and nose heavy with what you are wanting to do. To quote the owner's manual for a full sized kit built aircraft, the Glasair II or III, it actually says that it can handle no more than the weight of two passengers and 100lbs in a rear cargo area, regardless of which engine you install, options being a Lycoming O-540 flat four cylinder or the Lycoming flat turbo six. The turbo six has 120 more HP than the four and gives a top speed of 290mph, 52mph higher than the four. In exchange for the higher speed and hp ratings, you will burn 4.3 gallons more of gas per hour and have a range that is 281 miles less at 65% power.

buzzard bait 12-15-2018 07:53 AM

Build yourself a 6 ft or 2 meter glider and stick your 049 on the front. All you need is rudder and elevator, they are simple to build, fly slow, easy to learn on.There used to be kits for this kind of plane, the Midwest Performer, Piece O’ Cake, and there were also power pods you could strap on to any glider of that size. You can still do it quite easily. If you don’t score an old kit, build something like this from scratch... https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7858I taught myself RC on a TF Schoolmaster with a 39 inch span; powered with a Cox 049 that was probably much like yours. I had experience with CL and FF, so it was easy for me. With less experience, go the powered glider route.Save the Mustang idea for later.

Appowner 12-18-2018 04:54 AM

A lot of the old gliders are available here. Gliders

Then later, get yourself a proper Mustang! :)