RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Abell 26cc av 86" aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11643910-abell-26cc-av-86-aircraft.html)

MARK JR 01-01-2018 08:47 AM

Abell 26cc av 86" aircraft

Hi guys, happy new year.I got an abell 26cc plane for Christmas I need help building it setting up the engine and gas tank. Any help is appreciated

jester_s1 01-01-2018 09:08 PM

That looks like a modified Telemaster. It should be a pretty gentle flyer. That said, I take it you are new to RC planes? I realize getting it built is the first step and we'll be glad to help you. But you'll also need to plan for an instructor to help you with flying skills. This hobby is fun and rewarding, but also more challenging than it may appear. Most people who try to learn to fly on their own wind up gathering the pieces of their plane off the ground within a few seconds of the first takeoff.
That said, do you have any specific questions about getting the plane ready to fly?

MARK JR 01-02-2018 04:19 PM

Yes, how do you set up the engine and gas tank? Do you need a separate switch fo the ignition? Do you need 2 batteries? How do you run the gasoline lines on gasoline engines? Thank you for your help

jester_s1 01-02-2018 07:19 PM

Gas lines are simple. You set up a clunk in the tank that won't quite reach the back on the tank and that tilts freely so that it can pick up the fuel in any position. It's good practice to put a piece of tubing in the middle of the clunk line in the tank so it can't get stuck in the front in a bouncy landing. You also need vent line that is pointed to the uppermost part of the tank when the plane is sitting on the ground. On the outside of the tank. the clunk line runs to the carb intake and the vent runs out the bottom of the cowl for the times you overfill the tank and spill some gas.

As for power setup, you can do it a couple of different ways. The simplest way is a two battery setup. That's two batteries and two switches, one for the ignition and the other for the receiver. You also need an optical kill switch for the engine. Option two is to use one bigger battery or a pair of batteries wired in parallel to a common connector then splitting off to the receiver and an IBEC to power the ignition. The advantage to the second setup is either the ability to save some weight by only having one battery or redundancy- if a switch or a connector fails, you'll still have a battery to power the whole plane.

MARK JR 01-03-2018 09:40 AM

Thank you

MARK JR 01-10-2018 08:01 PM

How do you fuel proof the firewall?

jester_s1 01-11-2018 04:44 PM

Brush on some epoxy finishing resin or use any paint that is gasoline proof. Fuel proofing is not as big a deal with gassers, but it's smart to do on the firewall and fuel tank area in case there is a leak. Make sure there is a hole in the fuel tank area too that will let fuel drain out if you have a tank failure.

MARK JR 01-12-2018 09:35 PM

Thank you for your help

RBACONS 01-13-2018 02:43 PM

You need to know that you can not buy just any fuel tank and fuel line. Gas engines use a different rubber stopper in the tank and different fuel line than glow engines do. Make sure you get gas-compatible components.