RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Newbie saying hello (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11658616-newbie-saying-hello.html)

BriannaRC 12-30-2018 11:57 PM

Newbie saying hello

So, I got my first bonus check at work, and have always been interested in flying. So, I now have my very first RC plane and RC quadcopter :) I started off easy with a WLToys F949 (new on Amazon) and a Syma X5C-1 ($10 on Goodwill's website). It's still a little cold here to do much flying outdoors, and I don't know of any indoor areas near me. But that's ok, there's a pretty good sized field near where I live that would be perfect for flying, and I'm ok with waiting. I have a little pocket drone that I have been practicing with in my house, so hopefully that will give me some skills to get better for when it warms up. I'm getting better at determining direction and learning what each stick does. I think once I get that down, I should be ok. I'm a gamer as well, so using thumb sticks isn't entirely foreign to me, but, it's still a challenge.

My X5C didn't come with a battery for itself or a charging cable (Goodwill website had a TON of cheap drones, so I picked what I thought was the best deal for the money and missed my mark, but also wasn't expecting a whole lot for $10). Going to go to my local RC hobby store tomorrow and take it with me to get a battery and make sure it does try to fly, and then if it still has issues, hopefully they'll have whatever else I need. I've watched plenty of videos and they don't look horribly hard to repair if you have some general soldering experience which I do.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hello, and that I may be back if I have further questions. Happy flying!!

jester_s1 12-31-2018 07:28 AM

Welcome to the hobby. All I'll ask is that you be safe. Those little machines aren't a whole lot to worry about, but they can damage cars or hurt people. So make sure you are well away from anything of value before you fly. You'll need more space than you think you do. Otherwise, have a great time and feel free to post about it when you take your machines out.

Stickslammer 12-31-2018 09:33 AM

Welcome to the hobby and to RCU! Hope your Hobby Store is close by and they`re well stocked. Hope to see you around here often and rest assured, there are a lot of very experienced pilots here that can answer any questions you have.

DavidAgar 01-02-2019 07:00 PM

Welcome to the Boards here at RCU....

Appowner 01-12-2019 05:17 AM

May I suggest you take half that bonus check and invest it in some way in a retirement fund. And do that with every raise and bonus you receive from now on. Then you'll have the money to enjoy this hobby for years to come.

red head 01-12-2019 02:23 PM

:o A big 10-4 on the investment comment. It's He77 to grow old with nothing, ask my brother . Red

ETpilot 01-13-2019 06:10 AM

Good advice on retirement. My awareness about retirement, indirectly, is when I had a TCMP tax audit. The light bulb turned on and I have been happily retired for many many years. A plan for during retirement is also needed.