RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Another Beginner Build - Sig Somethin' Extra (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/3274319-another-beginner-build-sig-somethin-extra.html)

kiswa 08-18-2005 07:40 AM

Another Beginner Build - Sig Somethin' Extra

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally have just about everything I need to get started. Attached are images of the supplies I already have, and the kit I just received in the mail yesterday (I would have posted this last night, but I was too excited and was reading through the entire instruction manual after inventorying my kit).

You can see in the photos that I have pretty much everything I need to get going. I've just got to go by Lowe's and get a ceiling tile to build on and some sandpaper and wood glue. What you don't see in the photos is glue. I'm going to buy some wood glue for everything that doesn't require epoxy, and I've got some thin CA in my fridge for tacking things in place. The photo that shows the covering also has some sheet 1/16th balsa on it. That's the balsa I'm going to sheet the turtle deck with.

Speaking of which, I'm planning on building to plans except for sheeting the turtle deck and mounting the engine sideways and building a balsa cowl around it. As this is my first build ever, I thought I'd try to keep the mods relatively simple.

I'm really looking forward to getting started on this kit, but I don't think I'll be able to for several days. I just wanted to let everyone know that I've got almost everything I need, and I'm excited to get going!

I'll post more once I get to start building. I still have to finish reading through the instructions before I get started (I want to understand what I'm going to do before I start doing it).

Oh yeah, I've also attached my proposed covering scheme. I may alter the bottom of the wing from checkerboard to stripes, I don't know yet.

Let me know what you think!

krossk 08-18-2005 08:26 AM

RE: Another Beginner Build - Sig Somethin' Extra

I've used wood glue almost exclusively and don't regret it a bit. I find that the extra forced drying time keeps me from rushing headlong into mistakes.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a Sullivan tail-wheel. With a *very* minor mod to the bracket, you can use the stock flying wire mount point on the bottom of the fuse. Add another blind nut and you're all set. You might also want to reinforce the landing gear plate with some additional balsa triangle stock. There have been some complaints of gear ripping out on rough landings - but that may be more prevalent with aftermarket gear used for prop clearance with larger engines.

Otherwise, it looks like you're off to a good start. Just remember - we like pictures. Lots of pictures [sm=wink.gif]

kiswa 08-18-2005 08:33 AM

Pictures are not a problem. I've got a nice digital camera, and I plan to document this build well with photos.

I do already have a question though. In reading through the instructions, there are several places that tell you to true an edge using a straight edge. What exactly is the process for doing this? I'd rather have someone who's done this many times tell me how, instead of making up my own method that may not work as well.

krossk 08-18-2005 08:49 AM

I use one of 2 methods, depending on the size of the part needing truing.

For smaller pieces (< 12") , a non-flexible metal straight-edge and a good, sharp X-acto knife works well.
Just clamp or firmly hold the straight edge over the piece and carefully cut along the edge with the knife.

For larger(> 12") pieces, careful use of a long, straight sanding bar works well.

kiswa 08-18-2005 08:57 AM

Ahhh, thanks for the info. Now I know how I'll do it! :)

cwrr5 08-18-2005 08:59 AM

Well, basically all that says is to make that edge straight, either by using a straight edge and x-acto knife to cut that edge straight, or use a sanding block. A good metal ruler(straight edge) is a valuable thing to have when building and repairing, and a good sanding block(preferably several) is an absolute necessity.

Otherwise, it looks like you're off to a good start. Just remember - we like pictures. Lots of pictures ;)
I'll second that - LOTS of pictures! :)

edit: hahaha! Krossk beat me to it, must have posted while I was typing! :D

kiswa 08-18-2005 09:15 AM

I'm planning on going to Lowe's after work today to buy a few more things. Namely: a ceiling tile to build on, sandpaper (80, 220, and 360 grit per the manual), a big metal ruler/straight edge, sanding block(s) (T-bar), wood glue, a square or two, playground sand (for plastic baggie weights), and 3M #77 spray adhesive (for attaching the sandpaper to the sanding blocks).

If anyone can think of anything I've missed, please let me know!

Either way, I'm not going to start building until tomorrow at the earliest. I'm going to take the rolled plans in to work with me and use our drafting plotter and scanner to scan in the plans. That way I'll have a digital, full size, copy of the plans if I ever need to print them out again in the future.

MountaineerFan36 08-18-2005 10:04 AM

Might want to pic up some clamps if you don't already have them. I was amazed once I got mine how often I used them

kiswa 08-18-2005 10:11 AM

Clamps! I knew I was missing something. Also, I just remembered a tack cloth would probably be a good idea to get all the dust off before I cover it.

So, two more items on my list. Anything else?

EDIT: I also realized that I'm going to have to learn to solder for this kit, so... I'll add a soldering iron, flux, and solder to my list too. Man, my wife better not see all the stuff I'm going to have to buy. [:-]

bruce88123 08-18-2005 11:25 AM

Some of it can be used for household project too. Like the solder iron and the sand paper. Not that it ever will but it makes a great story. :D

kiswa 08-18-2005 11:54 AM

Hey Bruce, long time no see.

Somehow, I don't think the 'I can use some of this around the house' thing is going to work very well. But hey, it's worth a shot! :)

cwrr5 08-18-2005 12:14 PM

Just don't get one of those "cold heat" thingies!!!! (trust me)

Weller 40Watt pencil type should work. ;)

bruce88123 08-18-2005 12:28 PM

I've been here but you're right about us not talking for a while. Good to see you doing well. cwrr5 is right about the cold heat thing, OK for real little stuff like jewelery but not "real" soldering. My motto on tools: buy it once, don't cheap out. That is one of the reasons Snap-On sells so many tools, QUALITY. (I still buy Craftsman though) Ya don't have to buy Snap-On for quality but don't buy junk either. [:'(]

kiswa 08-18-2005 12:52 PM

Yeah, I've heard the 'cold heat' thing isn't so hot (pun intended). ;)

I didn't mean that you haven't been here Bruce, I haven't been posting much lately (what with having a trainer to fly and repair and fly). Now that I've got my first kit, I've suddenly become much more active on these forums again. Can't imagine why... :D

I'm looking forward to more of the great help you gave me when I was just starting out a few months ago!

cwrr5 08-18-2005 02:27 PM

priorities... #1 FLY, #2 everything else.... :D
(Also true in 1:1 scale)

cwrr5 08-18-2005 02:34 PM

Kiswa, just curious.... could you kind of glance through the instructions, and find the part where it says to attach the wing halves together... what does it say to use, CA or Epoxy?

Just wondering, the subject came up in the LT-40 build thread that somegeek is doing, really like to know if that's what Sig has put into they're manuals now. (I don't have any accessable at the moment, and can't remember any). I know first hand that the 4*40 and 4*60 say to use epoxy, not sure about the rest...

kiswa 08-18-2005 02:38 PM

The Somethin' Extra has separate wing halves that are held on to the fuselage by an aluminum joiner and J-hooks (and a dowel). So, you glue them together with nothing at all. :D

I'd seen that LT-40 thread and almost posted in it saying I was glad I got the SSE as the wing halves are separate and I wouldn't have to worry about gluing them at all. Guess I should have. ;)

cwrr5 08-18-2005 02:44 PM

Wow! That was quick - I guess you did your homework. :D[sm=thumbup.gif]

Thanks!

bruce88123 08-18-2005 02:54 PM

Unlike some people (I'm not mentioning Chad) he has read his manual end to end before starting. :) YAY!!!!

tychoc 08-18-2005 02:58 PM

Ok, no legomen jokes now:D

Kiswa: If you're going to Home Depot, you might as well pick up a Dremel tool if you don't have one. Comes in handy.

-tychoc

kiswa 08-18-2005 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: tychoc
If you're going to Home Depot, you might as well pick up a Dremel tool if you don't have one. Comes in handy.
That, fortunately, is one tool I already own!

Connery 08-18-2005 03:25 PM

Also, instead of the ceiling tile, which they normally will only sell in a package, not one at a time, you might consider the pink insulating foam that builders use to sheet the outside of houses. I use the 1/2" thick size and a 4x8' sheet is only like $8-$10.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...348&lpage=none

or

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...503&lpage=none

cwrr5 08-18-2005 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: tychoc

Ok, no legomen jokes now:D

Awwww.... darn. [&o]

:D

bruce88123 08-18-2005 03:38 PM

Question: How many legomen can a 4* 40 carry and still fly?

Answer: We still don't know.

Gosh, I'm mean some days. :D

BTW - I've bought single ceiling tiles at Home Despot before.

kiswa 08-18-2005 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Turns out Lowe's sells the ceiling tiles individually for $4 and change. Attached is the picture of my increasing number of building supplies. Not shown is the 4'x2' ceiling tile and 50lb. bag of sand which are in my garage awaiting use.

Just for the record, almost everything you need at Lowe's is in the Paint section (as opposed to the woodworking areas). Go figure.

I did not get a soldering iron yet, as Lowe's doesn't carry solder or flux paste (apparently not this one anyway). I'll stop by the mall on my way home tomorrow and get it all at RadioShack.

I'm hoping to start building tomorrow afternoon! I want to take the plans in to work with me before I mess them up and digitize them so I'll be able to print fresh copies in the future if I need to (we have a scanner that can read sheets like four feet wide and any length, it's impressive).

EDIT: And, of course, I forgot to actually attach the photo!

EDIT 2: Did you mean to call them "Home Despot" Bruce? If so... :D:D:D