RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   SIG planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/4594092-sig-planes.html)

wing_man 08-07-2006 03:12 PM

SIG planes

hey,

this is just an idea i had. this is a thread for people who are getting into the sport of rc planes i personally think that the SIG kadet series is a very good for first time trainers. i have an Ep-42 and since its new i still have the stock motor in it but will have to be changed in about 10-15 more flights or so my instructor and everyone who i have talked to says. i have flown my instructors LT-40 and i love it almost as much as my ep-42 mostly because ther is very little if any clean up when your done with your flight.

so i hope people of all levels and skills use this to talk about the sig and whats what for newbies

piper_chuck 08-07-2006 03:18 PM

RE: SIG planes

My first plane, many years ago, was a Sig. You can see a picture of it in my gallery. While it doesn't meet the specs for the typically recommended trainer today, or even then, it flew great. For reference, it was powered with an Enya .15, was only 3 channel, and as you can see in the pic, was a tail dragger. It was so much fun I recently convinced a fellow club member to part with one of two unopened kits he's been saving for years. Someday I will build another.

Missileman 08-07-2006 03:32 PM

I learned with a SIG Kadet Senior built from a kit which I modified by lowering the dihedral and adding strip ailerons.
I have over 50 flights on it now and still get compliments on what a nice airplane it is.
It is big, 78" wing span, which makes it easy to see in the sky and is a stable flier that is quite comfortable to fly in winds over 10 miles an hour (I have even flown it in 15+ mph)
To spite its stick fuselage construction which might seem fragile it is every bit as sturdy and durable as any light ply fuselage out there.
It may be a bit more pricey than other trainers but IMHO well worth the extra.

wing_man 08-07-2006 03:36 PM

its beautiful.

this be kinda off the subject but its scary how much u look like my cousin. if you no any one with a sig spread the word anout the thread. the more the merrier:D:D:D

alex

wing_man 08-07-2006 03:44 PM

misselman can u plzz get some pictures of your sig its sounds beautiful

Missileman 08-07-2006 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure :D

RCKen 08-07-2006 04:06 PM

Missleman,

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Nice!!!!!

Ken

wing_man 08-07-2006 04:09 PM

awesome pictures. how old is it?

i no this is going to sound weird but it is such an honor that u have posted on my thread RCken i have started a few hoping for your input. u have just made my day.

do i sound just a little desprate! lol:);):eek:

Missileman 08-07-2006 04:21 PM

I built the plane last winter, started flying in mid April, soloed in June. The picture was taken sometime in late spring but the airplane has had no real damage and looks the same today.

wing_man 08-07-2006 05:12 PM

thats great[sm=thumbup.gif]. how long have you been flying then. and where do you fly ( where do u live)

NCIS 08-07-2006 06:13 PM

Are you color blind? Other than the colors it looks great.
Gibbs

weathervane 08-07-2006 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am a newbie.

I am training on an LT 40. I bought it from my lhs. It is used. It has been crashed, but oh well. Trainers will have there moments. I am on about 15-20 flights. Hopefully a solo by the summers end. I have a 4*40 that I hope to build over the upcomming winter. So far it is SIG all the way.

Happy flying

RCKen 08-07-2006 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: weathervane

.....I have not figured out how to put in a pic of my plane.......

how to post pictures thread

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2629917/tm.htm[/link]

Ken

wing_man 08-07-2006 07:48 PM

i am soo glad to see that soo many people have taken to this forum. PS RCken u just made getting into the rc world that much better;)

elenasgrumpy 08-07-2006 08:16 PM

I have a Sig Rascal. It is a beautiful little airplane. Like most electrics though it is under-powered with the stock motor & gearbox that comes with it. Sig makes very nice planes but they are over priced imo. These days there too many companies out there offering models that are just as nice for a more reasonable price. My pictures of it are too large to post so here is Tower's link to the plane I have.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZL41&P=7

Mine is the violet purple one, for some reason Tower is only showing this green one, but it's the same plane.

blikseme300 08-07-2006 08:31 PM

I am also a Kadett Senior graduate. IMHO, the best trainer EVER. I learnt more than just flying with her. I did mine using Koverall and dope. Then I added approx 7 cans of red Krylon, to make it look good, of course. Well, she was VERY tail heavy. I still have the lead slug I made to balance her. I cast the slug of lead in the bottom of a Coke can - approx 1 1/4" thick! It flew well, but after an unfortunate meeting with a California oak tree I striped off the Koverall, added ailerons and recovered with Koverall and dope ONLY. No lead needed now.

I eventually sold her to another pupil pilot who could not master the Tower trainer. He soloed soon after and a year later was flying pattern, with other aircraft, of course.

The memories......
[8D]

Safe Flying!

wing_man 08-07-2006 08:48 PM

i am estatic over tyje response that this thread has had. i am even happier ( as a new piilot) to hear that you are either passing your plane on to help the sport or continuing to fly the same plane you trained on. there is no better way to show well made a plane is, than to keep flying it for years after youare past the level of the plane. it also sounds to me as though sig has got something goin for them in there kadet line of traines. ive been told by a couple of ppl at my LHS that a good second palne (if i wanted to stay with sig, which i do) is the 4 star. i hear great reveiws and awful reveiws. mayb someone could settle the dispute for me is it a good or bad palne

alex:D

donkey doctor 08-07-2006 08:49 PM

Hello; Let's see, Yea, I like Sig planes a lot, here's a list of the ones I can remember that I have had fun with.

1,Senorita, at least 3 or 4, mostly with Surpass 26's

2Kadet Senior 4 or 5 or likely even more OS 48's and 52's and the occasional TT 46 PRO

3 Mid-star 40 3 or these wonderful planes Saito 45, 50 then an Enya 46

4 Kadet Mk. 2, 2 of these, one last weekend, super tiger 40

5 5-star 60, OS 90 FS, another terrific plane, lots of fun

6 Spacewalker II Saito 120, needs re-covering now, but was great in it's day

7 Kavalier, 2 of these, 1 with a Saito 45 one with an OS 40 FP, amazing wing, great flyer

8 Fazer OS 48, fun while it lasted, an easy build

9 Ultimate fun fly, Saito 56, I built this one so pretty that someone just had to have it, I only had it for two weeks.

10 LT 40, lots of them belonging to my student pilots, the current favorite trainer herabouts

That's all I can think of just now, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was at least a few more. I recommend Sig kits for the good flying planes they make, the build is always fun too.

elenasgrumpy 08-07-2006 09:37 PM

As to your question regarding the Sig 4*. It seems to be the number 2 plane of choice around here. I think it is safe to say that the majority of ppl in this forum feel it is among the very best as a second plane. There are a few others that fall in to this category as well but the 4* seems to be the favorite.

weathervane 08-07-2006 10:06 PM

I have a 4* brand new in the box. I was told it is a great kit. (especially for a first time builder) can't wait

wing_man 08-08-2006 07:38 AM

keep us posted on the 4* build. i want pictures:D. Donkey doctor i am impressed on your list of sigs. and your engine choice[8D]very cool.

BobFE 08-08-2006 06:56 PM

Just to put in my 3 cents worth (hey if gas prices can go up.........). I started with an LT-40 as a kit my wife bought me for Christmas one year. I'm still flying it, and I"m now teaching my son how to fly it. I'm also building a 4*60 that I hope to have flying before the end of the year. I'm close to covering it and will probably end up waiting on the radios.

I did build one other plane, a Great Planes Piper Cub. Unfortunately I crashed it a week ago, and the damage will take awhile to fix. maybe next spring.

I've had so much fun with the LT-40 the covering is mostly worn out. Another winter project is a complete recovering of it. Should look great when I'm done. I'll post pics of the 4* as I go, and pics this winter of the LT-40.

wing_man 08-08-2006 08:18 PM

Sounds awesome. what kind of enginge are you running on the LT-40, and paln on using in the 4*60

TexasAirBoss 08-08-2006 08:29 PM

I have had several Sig airplanes over the years. I had a Colt, Kadet Jr. ,and Kougar. I am presently building the Bonanza. I also have the Cessna 170 and a Kommander. The story of Glen and Hazel Sig and the quality of the kits make Sig a premier company and an RC icon. :)

Bruno Stachel 08-08-2006 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great thread.

I had two LT-40's, a Something Extra, and a Midstar 40. Of all the planes I've owned, I'd have to say these were my favorites.

Like many, I put up the LT- 40 after learning to fly more aerobatic types. But a couple of years later I dusted it off and got it ready to teach my son to fly. He didn't really have much interest then. (He's coming around now though.) But I ended up flying that trainer almost exclusively that summer. I had forgotten how sweetly the LT-40 could hang in the air. It was nice to relax with a plane again. I definitely would like to try the Kadet Senior. Something tell's me it's twice the pleasure the LT-40 is. Your's is a beaut Missleman!

I had a lot of fun with the Something Extra. I loved the way it could roll. It would roll like a drill bit. She had a large flight envelope - wild aerobatics, yet very easy to land.

My Midstar has been my trusted friend for three years now. She's no flashy flier, but I enjoy making her do flat spins, Hammer heads, and side slips. Rugged too. I left her in a flat spin too long and doinked her in. I just pressed her fuse and firewall back together with some epoxy, and I was back in business.

You know, I've been trying different types of planes. I just realized, my favorites are Sigs. I need to come back, and try some more. Maybe the Senior and the Hog Bipe will be next. Then there's the LT-25, the Astro Hog, Four Star, Seniorita............[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Almost forgot, here's a pic of my Midstar: