RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/7316610-rc-ken-minnflyer-have-joined-forces.html)

TedMo 08-07-2008 06:12 PM

RE: RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces

Just thought I would add something here regarding building wings. I may be outdated now since I haven't built a wing in quite a few years. There was ( maybe still is) a jig called " A Just A Jig " on which you were able to commpletly and very accuratly construct your entire wing. This enabled you to even apply the sheeting to top and bottom surfaces except for a small section in center. When built on that jig it was always true.

MinnFlyer 08-07-2008 08:43 PM

Thanks Ted, it's comments like that that makes all of the work worthwhile.

PS. I learned to fly during the escapement day too. My dad is 87 years young and still burns more fuel in a week than I do in a month!

RCKen 08-07-2008 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Thanks Ted, it's comments like that that makes all of the work worthwhile.

PS. I learned to fly during the escapement day too. My dad is 87 years young and still burns more fuel in a week than I do in a month!
Pat has a little more free time than you do Mike!!!! ;)

Ken

bruce88123 08-08-2008 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ag4ever

Ken & Mike,

The site looks great. If I had one sugestion, it would be to have a glossery section for all the terms that are thrown around. Lots of new fliers would love to have a consolidated location for all the terms we use.
For now settle for the RCU glossary http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/glossary.cfm

beachyboy429 08-11-2008 10:53 PM

wow. thats one heck of a glossary.

great work.

vmsguy 09-26-2008 11:10 AM

Ken and Mike....

I just spent some time on your site, and what I've seen so far is great...

I haven't gotten the videos... yet. I'm at work, and for the most part I have to well... work.....

I didn't see it, but maybe it's there... And if it isn't maybe it's worthy of a video or how-to or something....

Canopies and windshields...

Mike.. I still have that US 60 I bought at last winter's auction that I want to convert to a tail dragger and recover.. So I will need to remove/redo the canopy. (Plus I've just purchased a second kit, both yet to be assembled)

Ken... My Hog Bipe kit is still in it's box. (And I just ordered a second kit of this bird.. just to have it) It's my winter build project. So I will need to attach the windshield....

So, as you can see, (bad pun) I need help with windshields and canopies....

Thanks a lot guys.....

Oh Mike... you interested in maidening my Telemaster when I finish it????

MinnFlyer 09-26-2008 11:16 AM

I'll be happy to maiden it for you. How soon will it be ready?

The best trick I've learned to putting on canopies is to use a glue that's specially designed for it.

Like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCX70&P=ML

It looks like white glue, but it dries clear, yet rubbery. It's great because it gives you time to work (Unlike CA) and it won't fog the canopy like CA can. And any goofs dry clear so they're not very noticeable.

CGRetired 09-26-2008 11:23 AM

Yeah, that stuff works great. I learned a quick trick to get it set up with a straight windshield.. probably stupid me for not realizing this earlier on, but I saw someone doing it and thought how dumb I was not to realize this extremely simple process..

Just line the edge of the canope with the glue, and carefully place it where you want it. Then hold it in place with tape making sure the edges are in contact with the fuselage. Jeech.. simple as that, and it ended up making all the difference in the world with my Goldberg Skylark 70 canope. It came out looking just great.

Oh, and nice job, Ken and Mike!! I read go through it frequently looking for all sorts of hints.

CGr.

MinnFlyer 09-26-2008 11:28 AM

Thanks Dick. We have a lot more to add to the site, but shortly after it went live, spring arrived, so we were busy doing RCU stuff.

Now that winter is approaching, I should have some time to work on it again.

vmsguy 09-26-2008 11:29 AM

Wood construction is done. I finished the motor mount last night.

I need to balance it / install the batteries. (It's electric after all..)

And cover...

Hopefully make good progress this weekend...

RCKen 09-26-2008 11:34 AM

Vmsguy,
One thing that I have found on Hog Bipe windshieds that really helps is a small screw in outer corners of the windshield. This along with the canopy glue that Mike referenced will do the trick nicely for attaching the windshield on your plane. As Mike said, we're getting into winter now (Mike sooner that I am) and we'll have time to get some more how-to's and such up on the site. We've got a small list of ones to work on, but we'll definitely take requests if there is anything specific that you would like to see. First on my list is I am going to do up a how-to on soldering, although I may make this a RCU how-to instead of on our site. we'll see. But anyway, if there is something you want to see just let us know. That site is there to help people in the hobby, so we definitely want to know what everybody wants to see.

Ken

MinnFlyer 09-26-2008 11:37 AM

I beat ya to it:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=172]Mike Buzzeo's Soldering How-To[/link]

RCKen 09-26-2008 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I beat ya to it:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=172]Mike Buzzeo's Soldering How-To[/link]
Nevermind!!!!! :D

Ken

MinnFlyer 09-26-2008 11:46 AM

Hey, you can still do one for our site.

RCKen 09-26-2008 11:53 AM

Yeah, I'll do that. I've shot some video that I'd like to use. I still need to shoot some video of soldering a clevis though before I can finish up.

Ken

Murdoc 11-05-2008 06:36 PM

Sounds like a great website! :D
But is the site down? It doesent work :(

Minnreefer 11-05-2008 06:55 PM

It worked for me. I am going to get your complete videos soon, unless you will be doing a video set on building and flying a Sig hog bipe ;)

Jon

robert85614 12-05-2008 12:16 PM

Is water based paint fuel proof (glow fuel)?

Snapron 12-30-2008 02:26 PM

hgfhtdgrdgj,j

Paulparkflyer 01-01-2009 08:36 AM

Hi Ken and Mike,
This sounds like just the sight for a beginner like me to get onto but it wont open for some reason,
It could of course be my computer or web access?

Cheers,Paul

RCKen 01-01-2009 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Paulparkflyer

Hi Ken and Mike,
This sounds like just the sight for a beginner like me to get onto but it wont open for some reason,
It could of course be my computer or web access?

Cheers,Paul
Paul,
Give it a try now. You should be able to access it now.

Ken

MDilorenzo74 01-02-2009 04:34 PM

My son and I (He is 12 and I am 34) are just starting out in this hobby. How do I know which is the right plane to start off with for either of us? We went to the local hobby store today and the guy was talking about channels and servos and the right controllers, but never said anything about starting off from the basic bottom. Help.[:o]

bruce88123 01-02-2009 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: MDilorenzo74

My son and I (He is 12 and I am 34) are just starting out in this hobby. How do I know which is the right plane to start off with for either of us? We went to the local hobby store today and the guy was talking about channels and servos and the right controllers, but never said anything about starting off from the basic bottom. Help.[:o]
There is no way to "know" unfortunately as it is somewhat subjective. One thing you need to do is decide if you want a Glow Engine or an Electric plane While I personally prefer Glow for beginners not a all will agree. Look at the list of planes http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm on this list as a beginning. You can also go to your local clubs and talk to the instructors who will be working with you (highly recommended that you have an instructor and VERY few charge an cent for this invaluable service. Ask them what they recommend for plane and/or radio and/or combination thereof. Only then go near your hobby shop.

RCKen 01-02-2009 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: MDilorenzo74

A lot of what goes into which plane you start out with is exactly as Bruce has said, it'll be what's recommended by your instructor. They are going to recommend what they are comfortable and familiar with. If you look at my list here on RCU, and the list that Mike and I have on [link=http://www.gettingairborne.com]www.gettingairborne.com[/link] they are all planes that either of us have personal experience on.

If you are totally lost my recommendation is the Tower Trainer RTF package. [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCXF4**&P=ML[/link] . For $279 you get plane, engine, and radio. I can't even count how many people I have trained on this trainer (myself included) and it's a good plane at a decent price.

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers and second planes. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly, or advance to a second plane. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 2-20-2008) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken

MDilorenzo74 01-02-2009 07:54 PM

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I am just so lost on all of this being BRAND NEW to the hobby. The plane we bought my son has a website but no phone number so you cant talk to anyone. He REALLY wants to be able to do this, and I want him to have a decent plane to fly, so I apologize now for my 50,000 questions ahead of time. I just found out that there is a group that meets near me, just guys who like to fly, no official group and they are always welcoming new beginners, so we are going to check them out tomorrow morning. I think I may just go buy the trainer plane that looks like a cesna and start from there. We bought a flight simulator, but I am waiting for it to arrive. Thanks again, and any and all help and suggestions is welcome and greatly appreciated. Is there a live chat room for this type of thing anywhere?

Mike D
Orlando, Florida