RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Need Advice on first kit build! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9249946-need-advice-first-kit-build.html)

Jpilot1 11-12-2009 10:33 PM

Need Advice on first kit build!

hello hobby world.. Let me introduce myself on here.. My name is Justin and I've recently moved to Ft. Polk La.. Lets see... When I was a kid all I wanted to do was fly so I made my father buy me a RC plane for my thirteenth birthday it was a hobbico superstar trainer, I then built my first ARF which was the cessna 172 skylane from great planes. well I put RC aside when I was around 18 and started pursuing my dream of becoming an actual pilot. I obtained my flight instructor certificate and went to work for about 6 months to find out the industry sucks. My flight school ran out of students and their was no work. My wife joined the army which brings us from beuatiful sunny south florida where you can fly at markham park year round to crappyville nothing to do Fort polk located near leesville Louisiana, where all we pretty much have is a wal-mart.. yeah no hobby store. So guess what, I have a a garage and I put together a workbench!! YAY! for hobbies and students or no students, If I have RC i can FLY whenever I want and not for that 180$ per hour flight in a 1979 Cessna 172!

This is where I request help. I have been looking at different balsa and plywood models around, a dream to build one from scratch well at the least laser cut parts! And so far from what Ive seen house of balsa kits arent so bad and niether is balsa usa. I am looking for something scale WW1 or WW2 aircraft but keep in my mind something where I pretty much have to do all the work (ribbing, radio and engine installation, and covering, etc) the only problem is where to begin? lets say I have 500$ to spend, ok?
Can somebody please list a few birds and all the exact supplies I would need including building supplies, all I can say I know Im gonna need is a hobby knife some pins and clamps but really guys I am clueless! I am looking for something to equip a .049- .25 engine but a .40 wouldnt be bad either I am just trying to consider my budget. So for around 500 what all supplies would I need and I need an Idea of a great ww1 or ww2 scale kit build for a beginner/novice. Thank you RC community!https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/...eeth_smile.gif<br type="_moz" />

dufault 11-12-2009 10:59 PM

RE: Need Advice on first kit build!

1 Attachment(s)
I think I can help you out a bit. I was in your same possition a few months ago and now Im making my way through my first build. First off start with your bench. You will need a perfectly flat surface. I wound up using a hollow core door and then layed DOWS insulating styrofoam over it. That way you can stick pins into it. After you have that figured out your going to need the basic building supplied. That means glue, hobby knives, a razor saws, rulers, clamps, levels, different sandpapers, T pins, wax paper, etc. For glue, I went with thin and medium CA. Quick and easy but watch the fumes. As a beginner I find if you take your time CA makes it pretty easy. You will also need epoxy, I bought both 30 and 6 minute epoxies.

The kit I went with was the P 51 D by great planes. I dont have any other experiences in kits but I can say so far I have no complaints. The instructions are great and easy to follow. Along with the kit I had to pick up some wheels, retract system, fuel tank, fuel lines, foam and covering material. I went with installing retracts because if Im spending this much time building a war bird, the wheels are coming up after take off. Thats something your also going to have to decide. It is alot more work but Im hoping in the end it will all be worth it.

Overall I think Im probably at the 300 dollar mark and thats not including the engine and servos that Im going to need to put into it. The nice thing about the kit is that your not going to finish it overnight, so you can spread out the spending. Over all my plane will probably end up being around 600 bucks. Its a bit more because I decided on fiberglassing and painting instead of covering. Again, a decision youl have to make. I went with fiberglass because of the look and the longevity. Heres a pic of my workstation. You have see what tools I have and what it looks like. Wax paper over the plans is a must to keep the glue off them!

One last thing, when you finally choose a kit, make sure to read the instructions before you start a couple of times. If you can, download the manual first so you will know what your getting into. Thats what I did with the mustang. Good luck!

cotton11 11-12-2009 11:18 PM

Hello and welcome!

Looks like you've already received good advice on building equipment. Hare's Art and Hobby is located on Lee St. in Alexandria (about 40 miles from Leesville/Ft. Polk). Mark keeps the shop well stocked for R/C enthusiasts - a few kits, but more ARFs (seems to be the direction of the industry). You'll find a good selection of builder's supplies there. They will usually match internet prices, too. The only WWII kit I've built was a PICA FW190-D9 - very nice flying bird. Around 80-81, I recall building a BUSA Smoothie - lots of sanding, nice flying sport model. Good luck!

Alex7403 11-12-2009 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the addiction and to RCU Jpilot1,

For the beginning I would contact your local club and the flying field, meet with the instructors see what they have to say, you will ask them to fly your airplane first and see if maybe somebody wants to sell a trainer or equipment, for the beginning its very useful.

There is a very good list here of proven airplanes, made by RCU moderator.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8503667/tm.htm

if its learning to fly I’d go with an ARF as a trainer and move up to a kit as second airplane, you will enjoy your kit built airplane much more and you can do it parallel to flying the ARF trainer.

for the kit check out SIG kadet LT 40 and Sig midstar 40, both very good kits, laser cut and instructions written for a beginner builder.
www.sigmfg.com

Warbird as a trainer is not recommended, just trying to save your hard work from the landings while learning to fly.

As for kit building tools you can build a kit with half of the tools in this list but eventually you will get them.
Check out the kit building forum too.

Kit building tools
===============
• Building board (must be straight and soft to pin)
• Roll of wax paper
• Metal rulers: 6”, 12”, 36”
• Razor blade saw (the one with the red handle, ZONA is recommended)
• Hobby knife with #11 blades
• Tweezers
• Set of files - round, rectangular
• Sanding block 11” and 80, 150 grit rolls, 400 wet and dry
• Masking tape
• Clamps: small to medium of any shape and form as many as possible, you cannot have too many of them.
• T-pins – the smallest ones and cushion for pins
• Plastic caliper to measure balsa thickness (optional)
• Wing ribs jig (the orange thing)
• Hand drill bits (better then using a power drill!!!)
• Rubber bands #64, I dont like the staples ones
• 12” or 18" quick grips for joining wing halves
• 90* deg triangle
• Long nose pliers
• Standard and metric hex wrenches
• Hobby syringe for aliphatic glue
• Clevis tool
• Epoxy 30 min
• Aliphatic glue-Elmers pro wood glue or Titebond 2
• CA-thin and med
• Epoxy mixing popsicle sticks and mixing cups
• Woodfiller - elmers
• Covering Sealing iron
• Heat gun
• Soldering iron
• Pocket thermometer
• Single edge razor blades
• Slot hinging machine

Make sure you have a camera so we can chime in and help.
Good luck
Alex

jimmyjames213 11-12-2009 11:29 PM

ill be the devils advocate.
can you fly?
you said you had a plane but how far did you get into the flying process? (solo?)
i know plenty of people who have planes but never flew them, thats why im asking

if your rusty, to flight or building i would buy a great planes rapture, its much more forgiving than a warbird and will help you sharpen your build/covering skills.

if you dont want a perfectly covered, nice looking plane, then go for the warbird, but dont expect it to come out perfect. it takes a kit or two to get used to the covering material and really make it look nice.

also join a club and get on a buddybox for the first few flights

j.duncker 11-13-2009 11:50 AM

A scale or semi scale WW1 or WW2 model is not what I would recomend as a first build.

Here is a good starter model easy to build and easy to fly. [link=http://lasershortkits.com/doc/UglyStik.pdf]CLICKY[/link]

The ugly stick is a classic design and will tolerate all sorts of abuse.

Jpilot1 11-13-2009 10:30 PM

Thanks guys! those tools lists are great Im def. going to use them. Well how about some more idea on small scale ww1 ww2 planes and manufacturers of these types of kits. Anyone please chime in. thanks!

Alex7403 11-14-2009 11:44 AM

there are few kits of size you were asking at:

www.sigmfg.com

click the fly on in then on the left menu: aircraft -> aircraft R/C kits -> kits scale models

I dont have experience with this size you asked, I just know it exist.

I built several Sig's 40 and 60 size kits and its easy build like a puzzle and best flying airplanes.

I asked the same questions like you three years ago and I'll tell you this warbirds are recommended as third airplane at least.

In this hobby we plan a path of airplanes we want to build and fly but things change along the way.

There is the "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes forum http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_70/tt.htm

I think they are building the airplanes you are asking about.

Droiddr 01-14-2013 08:08 PM

Great tool/ supplies list,

Someone should make a sticky thread on recommented building supplies!
Found this older post while searching for building supply lists.

THanks!