Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

seeking advice

Hello, not sure if this is the proper area to ask, but here goes:

Need advice on current project, which is a bait runner (kontiki) I am building to take my baited lines off the shore farther than I can cast. 4 foot long with diameter of 12" (marine fiberglass), will be powered by a trolling motor on the forward end with a rudder on the rear, it essentially looks like an old torpedo. Power source is a 12v optima marine battery, mounted internally. Question: Which servos will work best for this project? I need one to operate the rudder. I need another one to simply retract a small rod/pin in order to release a baited leader. I also need a setup with extreme range, like out to 1000 yards. Is this possible? I have located a 12v-6v passive transformer to solve that issue.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as rc is not my background but I have seen one of these in action a long time ago and want to duplicate it for this years fishing season.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: seeking advice

I have been wanting to build something like this also for surf fishing. I built one out of 6 inch pvc and one of those seadoo
    handheld things with the propeller it worked kinda but steering it was hard i was steering it with a fishing rod and reel.
    If you make it remote control and go out 1000 yards it will be real hard to see it to steer. I just need one to go out about 300 yards i would like to have a kontiki but they are way over priced.