Notices
Boats - Full Scale Discuss full scale watercraft here

seeking advice

Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 PM
enemyinside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seeking advice

Hello, not sure if this is the proper area to ask, but here goes:

Need advice on current project, which is a bait runner (kontiki) I am building to take my baited lines off the shore farther than I can cast. 4 foot long with diameter of 12" (marine fiberglass), will be powered by a trolling motor on the forward end with a rudder on the rear, it essentially looks like an old torpedo. Power source is a 12v optima marine battery, mounted internally. Question: Which servos will work best for this project? I need one to operate the rudder. I need another one to simply retract a small rod/pin in order to release a baited leader. I also need a setup with extreme range, like out to 1000 yards. Is this possible? I have located a 12v-6v passive transformer to solve that issue.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as rc is not my background but I have seen one of these in action a long time ago and want to duplicate it for this years fishing season.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM
3dmagic
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: seeking advice

I have been wanting to build something like this also for surf fishing. I built one out of 6 inch pvc and one of those seadoo
handheld things with the propeller it worked kinda but steering it was hard i was steering it with a fishing rod and reel.
If you make it remote control and go out 1000 yards it will be real hard to see it to steer. I just need one to go out about 300 yards i would like to have a kontiki but they are way over priced.