Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Replacing ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing ESC?

Hi;Have a problem with ESC.One of Nitros PBY w/outrunner!Worked OK but then one engine quit!It sits and shakes and actually occasionally will run after shakeing for awhile!New to electrics wonder if can replace one with another ESC?It has a GUanli 25Amp ESC but don't know if motors care whos ESC is in wireing!Wouldn't make as much differencce except on a twin want motors to run same speed!Tested with another motor same reaction so assume it is the ESC!Just not sure if I could use another ESC that is the same amps?Otherwise may have to just repalce with a pair of matched ones? Appreciatte your opinions,Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Replacing ESC?

First: he motor doesn't care whose ESC is operating it, but another brand may not have exactly the same parameters and the motor may run at a different speed re a given throttle setting or may sart or stop differentl.

Second, it sounds like you have either a bad contact or a loose wire. Also, did you mark which motor wire went to which esc lead? That can make a difference when changing ESCs or trying out a new one.

What knd of connectors are you using?
Walt
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 AM
moodier

Well the batteryis deans connecters but assume that OK as the other motor runs fine!FInd that occasionally the motor will run for short burst then go back to shakeing.It has 4mm bullet connecters!Luckily these foam planes are lite so no damage when it crashed,Except that reason fooling with these miserable electrics is that wanted to get away from the old engine out situation have faced to many times with glow twins!When it went into spin brain never registered that could have engine out on electric too!!Probably best is to solder in a pair of matched ESCs to avoid the possibility of them not agreeing on RPMs for the motor.The good one still work fine on a single motor somewhere!Was a nice looking setup as compared to my GP PBY that I had to do all the wireing myself this was all prebuilt and looked good!Have a CL-415 and a 7' PBY was going to go on to try electric in them but may just stick with something I know like the glow engines after all!!Getting to old to fight with all this modern technology!!Thanks for the thoughts!!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 AM
moodier

Answer to my question!Received 2 new ESC from HK the other day.First tried replacing the bad one!Now both engines ran but one started later than the other then both operated OK.RPM didn't sound the same though!!Now installed the other new one and both start and run together!WIll save that ESC that took out for a single instalation!Guess I answered my own question!