Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
No - These motors have no redeeming qualities.
0%
No - It would work, but why buy something that you need to fix?
0%
Maybe - If money is all that tight.
6.25%
Yes - But I wouldn't rely on them in a model that I care about.
50.00%
Yes - These are the best things since sliced bread once fixed.
6.25%
Yes - Best thing since sliced bread with no issues.
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Turnigy Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 AM
wingnutEOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy Good or Bad?

Given their increadibly low price but constant issue with magnets coming unglued, do you think it is advisable to purchase motors from this company and open them up to reglue the mags before you even run it the first time?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Turnigy Good or Bad?

I have 8 Turnigys and never have I ever had a magnet failure, or any other issue.
The list includes:
6364-280
6354-250
5055-580
5055-400
4250-700
&
3, 4250-650s
Old 09-24-2011, 04:27 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 6 Turnigy motors so far. All have worked well without an issue. With the cost of shipping, I have bought more motors and batteries from hobbypartz. $5.00 shipping or if you spend $50.00 free shipping.

So, yes I do like my Turnigy motors. I think you need to add another line to the poll, "best thing since sliced bread and no problems"

Buzz.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:43 PM
hugho

I've never had a problem with any of the five Turnegy motors I own, but I did have a magnet go on one of the AXIs I've used. Go figure.
Good luck,
HughO
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

I have tried the G10 motor and a 2200 Mah battery with good results. I will consider the G series motors and batteries for aircraft but haven't decided about the speed controls yet
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 PM
grimmy55

befoer I buy from anywhere check the feedbacks ie hobbyking some horrible feedbacks on the SK3 seris no apoligies from hobbyking they just say send it back but cost of postage is sometimes prohibitive they say they are made in India and the best thing since sliced bread Bll St
Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 AM
wingnutEOD

Thanks you much for your input so far folks. It's much appreciated. It's interesting to note the strength of Turnigy customers' loyalty. With them being so inexpensive, I can see how people start off with them. "Eh, it's cheap... why not give it a try and see what happens." Then you guys get used to the results.

Now I wonder: What about operating characteristis? Do these motors stay cool if given a reasonable amount of airflow? Is the power output well balanced with power draw and does this change over the course of a flight? People say "yeah, I haven't had any issues", but do these little cans perform as well? (Or is it "Oh they were cheap, I can't expect much out of them.")

blvdbuzzard - Poll updated. I didn't have this as an option before, because I really can't imagine something priced this far below the field could be of any sort of quality.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:07 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many, many, of the motors on the market, sold buy "reputable" companies, are just rebadged chinese motors.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I ordered my first one, I figured I could throw the money out the window and not really miss it. So, I ordered and was blown away by the power it had for being so small.

This is one of the first things I ordered from HK, it started the Turnigey buying. It is not Turnigy, but it brought me back to look for more deals. How can you go wrong with this, motor, ESC, prop for $16.00.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rop_Combo.html

Then I ordered a few Turnigy motors for larger planes and have been happy with all of them.

Buzz.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

I have 25 or so Turnigy motors from small to SK 45 size. Turnigy hacker 40/40 copy performs as well as the real Hacker 40/40 in another similar airframe. Only problem I have had is a lead connection wire had to be epoxied down to the case on a very small motor. Never a thrown magnet I have had better luck with the turnigy pro ESC's than Castle Creations, no problem with any, all my CC ESSC have died. (5). Did get one bad battery, a 1800 25C, one bad cell. Do run Hackers on what I feel are special flyers, like the Performance airobatice Addiction X. ENJOY
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I have several Turnigy motors with no issues. I am an avid fan of the Turnigy ESC's. I have never managed to hurt them. And I strongly recommend getting the programming card as well.