Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

how to figure what motor I need

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 02:24 AM
Snowball1952
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to figure what motor I need

I have a porterfield colllegant. It weighs 52 oz's. Without a motor.
How do I figure what size motoer and prop I need. Also do you figure for glow the same way? tHANKS
kEVIN
Old 08-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default Power for 52oz [=80+oz] plane

Hi again Kevin - if you go the electric route (e.g. via the Astro Cobalt motors I mentioned in the other post) you are going to be adding 10-14oz for the motor, plus about 16oz or more for batteries (is your 52oz with receiver, servos, ESC etc?). I reckon your AUW is going to be in excess of 80oz (5lb), so by rule of thumb you are going to need at least half that (40oz min) in static thrust to get it to fly. You might look at one of the big belt drive motors or better yet, one of the really big AXI brushless outrunner motors (e.g. Model #4120/18) [huge torque and less weight because they don't use a gearbox].

Check out Hobby-Lobby and others for specs on these.

Cheers, Phil
Old 08-27-2003, 02:53 AM
Snowball1952
My Feedback: (22)

Default how to figure what motor I need

thanks All. I beleive I will have to go with a glow egine. Eletric is to expensive.
Kevin