Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Max voltage for a Hitec servo

Dear Sirs:

My question regards the maximun voltage that a Hitec 7955TG servo (non high voltage) should be ran at. I'm am wondering if a Li-ion at 8 volts would be too much. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Max voltage for a Hitec servo

You will run the risk of burning it up! That is a 33% increase over it's recommended operating voltage. Because the motor resistance remains constant the current drawn will mostly double. Not knowing the normal operating current makes it impossible to calculate. If you plane mean anything to you I wouldn't run the risk of having the servo fail!!!
    Kits: F11C-2 1:4, Do-24T 1:8, P-3 1:10, Howard 500 1:5, XFY-1 1:4, SR-9 1:4, V-22 1:6, B-25J 1:4, F+W C3603 1:5, B314 1:11, DHC-4 1:10

There are in general couple different ways to make this in a safe manner:
    1. Use an effcient integrated DCDC Converter. Cost is about 10-15 USD per servo and
    that leads people to abandon the use of old servos and purchase the new so called
    'high-voltage' servos; many makers have them in the catalogs. This is indeed the best
    especially if you are aiming at high speed servo performance, for example for F3A or
    similar demands.
    2. The cheapest what I use is on the attached file and it cost about 1-2 USD per servo
    by using linear regulators '7806' and couple capacitors. It will take you couple hours to
    solder those components. NOTE: There isn't any circuit here which checks now low the
    voltage of the LiPo has gone; it is god t keep the LiPo aways charged and ballanced
    so to void their damage ineed frm overdscarge.
    BR, Nick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Or you could listen to the source... That would be Hitec..
    and according to them, unregulated LiPo or LiIon (2S) is absolutely fine
    Extreme Flight RC tech support
    IMAC Vice President|IMAC Sequence Committee|IMAC National Judging Instructor|Team Futaba|Extreme Flight R/C|2014 IMAC World Championships Contest Director