Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

proper hook up of system

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM
oldman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper hook up of system

I am converting an old plane to electric power. I have an Airtronics RD800 transmitter and Airtronics 92824 Rx. Motor is an NTM 35-48 9ookv 815 watt brushless from Hobby King. EXC is a HobbyKing red brick60 AMP. Battery is a Turnigy 1.8 3 cell 11.1 v. I am havng trouble connectin everything and getting it to work. According to everything I have seen I have connected it all properly. However when I turn on the reciever and plug in the battery I get a beep beep tone from the motor but no response on any controls, shortly I start getting continuouus Beep-Beep tones from the motor.

I have the motor, three wires to the ESC, ESC three wire connector to the throttle slot on the reciever, and then I connect the battery to the 2 wire connector on the EXC.
The RX has been previously bound to the transmitter.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: proper hook up of system

Not familiar with all of your equipment, but I suspect that you have to move the throttle stick to high and back to low in order to arm the ESC. this is a very common safety procedure. The beeps sometimes tell you the number of cells the ESC has detected and/or whether the brake function is on or off.

Hope this helps.
Walt
Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 AM
oldman

Afraid that's not it but I appreciate the response. IT's as if something is not connected. I am suspectioing that the first Beeps are telling me its connected but then the second set of beeps start and I am suspecting they are telling me something is not right. I did try the moving of the throttle but to no avail. Sooo i don't know what the problem is.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have to reverse the throttle channel. Most, but not all ESC need to sense "0" zero throttle before they arm. May even need to put the trim all the way down. Make sure you do not have the prop on. Do all testing on the bench without a prop. Planes turn into a food processor real fast. I had a foamy torn up by another small plane that was plugged at full throttle. Foam bits every where!

Buzz.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 AM
oldman

Thanks Buzz but nmo matter where I put the throttle I still get the same response. It does seemlike it ia an error message. [aeries of 10 beep-beep]
Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 PM
blvdbuzzard

OK I re read your post. You say you turn on the receiver then plug in the battery? Are you using a battery to power the receiver and the lipo to power the motor?

You have a FM RD8000 TX and Rx. ESC plugs into channel 3 throttle, Turn on Tx, plug battery into ESC. Almost sounds like you have the ESC plugged into the wrong slot or the connector is plugged in the wrong way and it is not seeing idle? I have plugged them in backwards, can you see if the connector is plugged in the correct way?

Buzz.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 AM
oldman

Sorry Buzz that should read Transmitter. However, I'm sure I have everthing hooked correctly. Motor into ESC, three wire conn to Rx in tehe #3 slot I also recognize that my ESC does not have BEC so I have a 4.8 v battery plugged into the B slot in RX. I have gone back to make sure the RX and TX are bound. I am having trouble confirming that . The binding proces does not seem to be working. I have a call nto Airtronics Tech to work through that.
Sooo. at theis point I think I have a TX problem. I have gone back to another plane which I just flew a week ago and now that plane/system does not see the TX when I power it up. I get no signal from the motor when I turn it on. Sooo I thnk the problem is with the TX. We'll see after I get to talk to Airtronics.
Thanks to all of you for your responses and help.
When I find out what is going on I willl post again wo that anyone looking can benifit from this.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 PM
blvdbuzzard

Now I see you have an RDS8000 not the older RD8000. Same radio but the RDS is a 2.4G. Does make a difference.

If you plug just the 4.8 battery into the Rx, do the servo's work without the ESC? On the ESC, the red brick I looked at on HK site, said it had a 4 amp BEC? To bind the RX to the Tx, I have never been able to do it with an ESC. So, try to bind it again with a battery and switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUDuz3F9lNU

Buzz.

Edited for spelling
Old 07-07-2012, 03:54 AM
oldman

I think you have hit partially on the problem and solution. I called Airtronics and tech there says I probably have something wrong in the transmitter. The system is not getting any signal from the TX. I did go back to trying to bind with only the Rx and batt and it wouldn't. The Red brick 60 I purchased has no BEC however. So I will need a batt or ubec or sbec. Il let you what happens when i get my TX back.