Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

wooden electric props?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wooden electric props?

I have acquired some wooden props that are lighter than the plastic ones. Is there any reason not to use them on electric motors?

Would there be any difference if replacing with identical specs? How about max rpm? (of the wooden prop itself) They are cheap turnigy lightweight props , but I think they are really for engines.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: wooden electric props?

they would get less stress with an E motor then the IC engine. only problem I had on one motor was tht prop adapter was to short to have a wood prop and a spinner.

Buzz.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

First off, props don't care what the power source is that turns them. The hitch is that most e-props are under cambered to take advantage of the torque of motors, so e-specific props will perform differently than IC props of the same numbers. Best way to check is by using your whatt meter to check amp draw and a tact to check rpm.
Walt
Old 09-19-2012, 03:57 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Should work fine. Usually the wood are heavier, that is why electrics are usually plastic or carbon.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:04 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Just got my first one balanced and mounted up. It sounds good and will try in a few days. Correction, these are intended for electric and the couple I've weighed have been lighter than a similar plastic prop. One had the hole way off center, one was ok. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=299