Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

squealing BL motor when snapping throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squealing BL motor when snapping throttle

I have a new e-stick with stock GP BL motor and today I tried to maiden it , but when I hammered the throttle quickly it just squealed. If I advanced it slowly it will pull full power with prop on for many minutes. It is trouble ONLY when snapping the throttle quickly UP and it doesn't have to be WOT either. It seems just a change of setting to the higher will make it squeal, jerk, and almost stop. It seems to make good power and sound good when WOT once I slowly get there. This is all stock prop adapter and motor and esc on the GP e-stick.

Once I got the plane held done I ran the motor many minutes with no heat, squeal, ect. I know a little about esc and BL motors, but quite frankly I've never had any trouble with dozens of them. After I ran this the prop came loose and I figured it was from the squealing. I also realised it can't be from a loose bell, adapter, setscrew, or shaft because the motor isn't designed that way. It's a outrunner and the prop adapter is bolted to the outer can so nothing can slip.

Could this be a bad esc or motor somehow or maybe it was a slipping prop? I've never had a prop slip and this has a very jagged aluminum adapter then serated plastic backing plate. Then the prop and then a washer and nut. I had assembled it a long time ago and had the spinner on tight. I'm pretty confident that I tightened the prop, but think that it may just be the trouble of a loose prop.

With the prop off , the throttle can be snapped to WOT as fast as I can without any trouble. What you think? Just a loose prop? or a bad esc or motor? Bad feedback from the motor to the esc? What is that called EMF or something? Whatever tells the esc the motor's position.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:29 AM
spog1

Default RE: squealing BL motor when snapping throttle

This is usually cause by an ESC timing issue. Your ESC may have different programmable timings. If so you should increase the timing and try again. Which ESC are you using?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto what spog said, also if capable check the PWM setting on the esc, too high of a setting for the motor can do similar. And two other things.
#1 the bell is either pressed onto the shaft or held with set screws. If they aren't tight a bell can easily slip on the shaft.
#2 it is a big no no to run a motor is a static test for long periods of time. Rule of thumb is only long enough to take a meter reading. Running em in a static condition, prop on or off, is not getting any airflow over the motor or esc, which can easily cook either.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
guver

I don't think this GP esc has any of those adjustments. It's cheap and simple (well it's simple , maybe not cheap) I'm using the stock motor and the stock 11x8.5 prop too. I thought perhaps I had a loose prop because the serations on the adapter are machined backwards , but no it isn't a loose prop. When it is squealing the bell doesn't turn, it can stop completely.

I have some BL motors that I can try out, but none like this GP Rimfire. I do have another GP esc that I can try though. That's what I may try first. http://www.electrifly.com/escs/gpmm1840-2.jpg
Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM
guver

I just tried it on a large strong 2s pack rather than 3s. It acts perfect. I think I may need a stronger battery and larger leads. I was using a pair of cheap parallel 3s packs with a adapter that may not be the best. Time to make a decent 3s pack.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
spog1

This is also caused when the motor is loaded with a prop that is too big (can usually be corrected with ESC timing adjustment).You can't adjust the ESC timing soall you can do is use a smaller ora lighter propeller, like the GWS plastic props which weigh about half the APC E props.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
guver

I'm gonna make a bigger pack first before I changed components. Tomorrow I will test it with a strong 3s pack and the same prop.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Wow I just looked up your esc. Only option is brake on/off. And read the warning about them shutting down the motor at low speeds and keeping the motor armed.
That's just crazy.

No wonder they call em simple.

If your pack doesn't cure it, toss the esc and get a "cheap" one.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 PM
guver

I put in my "best" 3s pack (which is an old worn out maxamps 10C pack) and that almost cured it. I think I can fly it this way , but will dummy up a pair of 2.2 Nanos for maiden flight probably. I use a Turnigy 9x and wonder if there's a wat to "slow" the "throttle UP" down. You know what I mean? Expo won't do it , but with careful movement on the throttle I can fly this way. It would sure be nice to limit the throttle speed (kinda like servo speed) with the TX. I've never heard of doing it , but then again I've never even done a mix.

It would be bad some day if I set it up figurin' on being careful with the throttle stick and then gettin' into trouble one day , forgetting about it, cracking the throttle open quickly to get out of trouble and then upon hearing that awful squealing remembering what an idiot I've been for not using a decent battery. [:@]

Anyone ever heard of "slowing" the throttle channel down on a TX?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM
guver

Good and bad news. I found a throttle delay setting in the Turnigy 9x stock firmware in acro set-up. The way it is described is what I want to do , but it just doesn't display like it'll work. It is described as "slowing down the response" and sure seems like it should be the ticket.

By playing with the e-stik plane on the bench a half second slow-down would give me result I want. OR I can just order a new battery. [X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30915.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1761801  
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM
guver

I made my best battery up today and tried it. It should be plenty of battery for this plane. A 3sx4400 Nano. It acted the same , maybe worse. I couldn't shake that knawing feeling that this trouble is motor position feedback to the esc so I examined all 3 connections to the motor and none of them are real tight. They are all stock bullets or bananas maybe around 3.5 mm. I tightened the worst one up and the trouble nearly went away. It seems that perhaps the original assessment of emf feedback is the trouble.

Does most people solder the esc to motor or use a good solid connector? I never liked these spring clipped banana style ones anyways , but that's what all my BL stuff has on it. I figured it was ok since they are rarely plugged or unplugged. Perhaps soldering the loose spring clip onto the male connector would help? I think that that is where the badness is.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM
guver

I tightened the next worse one and the trouble is gone. I get just a tick of delay,screech,noise when snapping the throttle from off to WOT as quick as I can do it. I've heard this many times before and can live with it. Probably has to do with motor positioning at startup. I think I can go fly it now. Yea.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
guver

I have another one with exact same symptoms and trouble. It's a completely different plane that I just replaced the motor on. The connectors didn't push in real hard. Firm , but not hard. These are also factory stock connectors 3.5 mm bullets. I can't be the only one who has this trouble can I?

What do most of you do with your esc/motor connections? I'm considering soldering them , but I don't want to. []

ps. I did maiden the e-stick today and it went well. I have to fix both of these because sooner or later I'll snap the throttle and not have it when I really need it. My switch did a nose dive today when I hand launched it and cracked the throttle. Once I heard the squeal and brain said to throttle down and then up slowly it was way too late. I sure wish I could get this throttle "slow" working , but I'd rather have the connection fixed up and also have them able to be removed at times.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
guver

Update on the electro-stik RXR. I find out that the factory is aware of a timing issue with the supplied motor and esc. The esc is fixed timing at 20 deg. I'm not completely convinced it is "just a timing" issue , but I also haven't re done the connections either yet. It may be cheaper to just replace the esc or the motor. ESC is pretty cheap , but so are motors too. The motor to me is PLENTY big. It is always very cool when finished flying , but I don;t push it because this plane is plenty big and fast for me right now.