Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

E wooden props will theybend motor shafts

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E wooden props will theybend motor shafts

I have a question on using a electric wooden prop or a glow engine zinger wooden prop on a 3mm or 4mm Electric motor shaft in the 450 to 480 class motors
[ without a prop saver ] , will these types of wooden propellers bend the shafts on the motors on a simple nose over as compared to a E Gws direct drive prop or E master air screw even the E APC , I was told they will snap instead of bending the shaft, how ever ,they look pretty hard to me as compared to a more flexed E nylon , anyone have any experience with these wooden props ?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: E wooden props will theybend motor shafts

I ran em on my .25 Cub, and both my Hangar 9 Camel and NP DR1. I've boinked more then my fair share of props on these and I've never bent a shaft.
But not to say it can't happen. Wood does not flex like plastic/nylon. they usually just break when they hit.

A tip too, wood compresses, so check your prop for tightness before every flight.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

I ran em on my .25 Cub, and both my Hangar 9 Camel and NP DR1. I've boinked more then my fair share of props on these and I've never bent a shaft.
But not to say it can't happen. Wood does not flex like plastic/nylon. they usually just break when they hit.

A tip too, wood compresses, so check your prop for tightness before every flight.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

thanks for the information on wooden props, I emailed you a message ,please check
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45836.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	1827115  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fail to understand the design logic of using a pin size shaft (3mm or so) when a 10" diameter prop will be put on the end of the shaft. Looks like a recipe for unnecessary shaft replacement.

Bill
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: BillS

I fail to understand the design logic of using a pin size shaft (3mm or so) when a 10'' diameter prop will be put on the end of the shaft. Looks like a recipe for unnecessary shaft replacement.

Bill
I f you fly electric most of the shafts are small turning large props because these are high torque motors, how ever if you want to get an electric 46-50 glow sized motor the electric motor for that size will come with a 6 or 8 mm shaft so you wouldn't have to worry so much about using any type prop
Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
suzonka

ORIGINAL: suzonka

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

thanks for the information on wooden props, I emailed you a message ,please check
thanks and yes the wood props compress even more so on a glow engine because of the wet fuel .