Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Balancing brushless outrunner motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balancing brushless outrunner motors

Hi All,

I have an Eflite Airliner that I am making ready for flight (again....) I bought it used and tried to fly it and found out it wasnt quite as ready as I was told. Anyway now I am making it ready again and in the process of getting the BL400 DF motors mounted to the shrouds.
During testing I found things were out of balance. First I thought it was the impellors. However when testing w/o the impellors I found the motors themselves were producing a noticable vibration by themselves.

I have thru trial and error found and balance the motor by attaching aluminum tape to the exterior of the motor. The tape seems to hang on pretty good so far. My question is : Is there a better method for balancing the motors or am I on my own?

Someone must have run into this problem before and found a better way to solve this problem.

Thanks for the Help

Carlos G.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:31 PM
1320Fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balancing brushless outrunner motors

Could you possible file the can/shell a little to get it into balance.

I doubt the tape will come off though... For a while anyways.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi 1320fastback,

From what I can tell/guess is that the label itself on these smaller motors may be the cause of the imbalance. I am reluctant to remove the lable as this would make it guess work as to what the motor was sometime in the future.

There is an Appt for the Iphone that uses the inertial sensor within the phone to sense the vibration but, alas I dont have a smart phone. My balance detector is basically my hand lightly holding the shroud and spooling up the motor & fan to see if my taping has helped or hurt the balance. Not very scientific but it seems to help make the motor run smoother. Its the last little bit of vibes that I would like to eliminate.

Filing on the motor or grinding seems like a way of getting filing/grit into the magnets and causing a slow self-destruction of the motor.

Keep those cards and letters coming Folks!

Carlos G
Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 PM
1320Fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh... take the motor apart and clean it.

Mark case with permanent marker and remove label.